Dead period almost over

I think it's a combination of things. I think being in on some "bigger" targets has something to do with it. Would be nice to have guys committed earlier but you're just going to have to wait on some guys.

It seems to me like the main problem is lack of balance. In a couple different ways. First, we've done really well at some positions - QB, RB, Interior OL, Safety and a really good start at WR - but we're almost non-existant at other spots - mainly OT, DT and DE. And I can't help but think that a lot of that imbalance is due to the imbalance of effort on the coaches' part. I think Riley, Langsdorf, Williams and Bray along with GA Tavita Thompson and the support staff are probably about as good as we can ask for. Cav seems to put forth a good effort but I'm not sure how effective he is - incomplete at this point. I'm not so sure about Davis, Hughes, Banker and Stewart.

We already have some guys that I really like and I think we'll get at least a couple more. My biggest issue it the complete lack (so far) of addressing the biggest needs on the team. OT and DE were spots that have been known weaknesses since before these guys go here and we have precious little to show as of now. And we're starting to get short in a hurry at DT, especially if Williams doesn't come back - and that's a spot that's not very easy to catch up on once you get behind.

I don't necessarily fault a lack of effort but lack of results.

• Fire 1

I think it's a combination of things. I think being in on some "bigger" targets has something to do with it. Would be nice to have guys committed earlier but you're just going to have to wait on some guys.

It seems to me like the main problem is lack of balance. In a couple different ways. First, we've done really well at some positions - QB, RB, Interior OL, Safety and a really good start at WR - but we're almost non-existant at other spots - mainly OT, DT and DE. And I can't help but think that a lot of that imbalance is due to the imbalance of effort on the coaches' part. I think Riley, Langsdorf, Williams and Bray along with GA Tavita Thompson and the support staff are probably about as good as we can ask for. Cav seems to put forth a good effort but I'm not sure how effective he is - incomplete at this point. I'm not so sure about Davis, Hughes, Banker and Stewart.

We already have some guys that I really like and I think we'll get at least a couple more. My biggest issue it the complete lack (so far) of addressing the biggest needs on the team. OT and DE were spots that have been known weaknesses since before these guys go here and we have precious little to show as of now. And we're starting to get short in a hurry at DT, especially if Williams doesn't come back - and that's a spot that's not very easy to catch up on once you get behind.

Yes schools like Michigan, OSU, Bamba, Florida are having a hard time getting bigger guys to commit early.

Yes schools like Michigan, OSU, Bamba, Florida are having a hard time getting bigger guys to commit early.

OSU only has 3 more commits and Alabama only has 2 more. They must be freaking out.

So they're completely done with their classes? Not taking any more commitments?

• Fire 1

From everything I've read this is pretty accurate. It seems like we've really honed in on a few guys that we want but are largely lackadaisical on a few position groups. I think some of that seems to be that there's a ton of praise going on for our practice squad guys, specifically the Davis trio. It would not surprise me to see a DL of Alex Davis, the Twins, & Freedom with Greg McMullen sliding inside or spelling on the end as needed.

On the other side of the ball (OT) we're doing pretty good outside of one tackle. For sure It's going to have Nick Gates at OT, We'll also probably have Utter at OG, Thurston at Center, Foster OG, and my guess would be Knevel at the other tackle. This is a young core at the OL and DL. We're arguably stacked at OG (don't forget Tanner Farmer and the incoming guys).

So what this means is that we're not hurting for starting talent, but we're going to be in bad shape when someone gets hurt. If I had to read the tea-leaves a bit, I would guess the coaches feel good about what we have so they're not reaching for guys they don't want at these positions of need. Especially when we have some guys like Daishon Neal, & Christian Gaylord in the wings. I would expect to see a push on these positions next year whereas this year is about getting the best we can where there's no absolute need for this season contributors. My gut feeling is these coaches are playing the long game. There was little sense in burning redshirts to get guys that were only a little better than what we had on the field. Our development is in a good place again. Sit back and enjoy the ride cause we got over the rough patch last season imo. Tons of good talent in position for next year.

• Fire 2