Router/Modem/Internet Speed

What are you using, cable or DSL?

If you use cable there's a quick way to at least boost it a bit and in my case about 50%+ from Cox. I went to amazon and bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional-Amplifier-Splitter-Booster-Passive/dp/B001BMKNZI

If you have cable, make sure it's a powered booster and not a simple splitter. I went from 75Mb downloads and 20Mb uploads to 115Mb down/50mb up

• Fire 1

What is the problem you are trying to solve, what is your service provider/type, and what is your network & client setup? These can definitely affect what would be your best option(s) and may provide an easy solution...

Anecdotally, some things to consider:

• Verify your modem/router (or comparable network hardware) is capable of handling your subscriber plan. Out here, both CenturyLink & Comcast will often provide subscribers with modems that won't handle the full service level.
  • Unplug & turn off your modem/router/gateway for up to 15 minutes. With Comcast, Verizon, & CenturyLink (probably others) sometimes the modem/gateway updates don't take/rollback properly. This will address that type of situation...
  • Upgrade your plan with your ISP as A_A indicated.
  • As HILW pointed out, line signal strength is a very common problem and easy to fix.
  • Similarly, wifi congestion/interference/overlap can cause issues. Changing to a different channel or band can help a ton here. Also consider non-wifi interference... Link & Link
  • If you are in a high density congestion area (i.e. apartment building), using hard-wired connection may be the cheaper/faster option. At a minimum, test performance with a hard-wired connection to rule in/out issues.
  • Make sure your client is current & up-to-date.
  • Consider upgrading the firmware on your router/network device(s).

After the above, it gets into slightly more advanced territory. There are client-side network settings that can help depending on client O/S. Other than upgrading my ISP plan, the single biggest performance improvement I have seen is by using 3rd party firmware on my router (2x the wifi speed, 5x the wifi concurrent capacity). None of this is rocket-science but certainly beyond the "dumb it down as much as possible" category...

Good luck...

• Fire 2

What are you using, cable or DSL?

If you use cable there's a quick way to at least boost it a bit and in my case about 50%+ from Cox. I went to amazon and bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional-Amplifier-Splitter-Booster-Passive/dp/B001BMKNZI

If you have cable, make sure it's a powered booster and not a simple splitter. I went from 75Mb downloads and 20Mb uploads to 115Mb down/50mb up

I have DSL or at least I think I do?