Lets be realistic about USC

Nate

I think NU will do well against USC. Will they win? I hope so, but the pessimistic side of me seems to think we'll lose. USC is going to be opening up their home games that night with NU. They're going to be hyped up. They're going to be motivated. They're going to be ready. I don't think USC is as good as they were last year with Bush and Leinart and they lost a lot of starters but their depth is good. My philosophy is, plan for the worse, hope for the best. If we walk out of there with a win, it will be a huuuuuge milestone for the Cali Era and it WILL force people to stop and take a long hard serious look at NU.

The secondary seems to be a chronic weakness for us these past couple of years. We're consistently torched by strong passing teams and have been having a LOT of trouble stopping mobile quarterbacks running from the spread (Brad Smith)...I'm glad we showed up strong against the run this game, but don't we do that every year? We were a top five defense when we had an all-American corner anchoring our secondary; he's out, and now Fluellen's out. We're both lacking in depth and talent there - guys have got to step up, but I don't think we qualify as a top five defense because of that weakness.

As much credit as you can give to our front line and LBs, holes in the secondary don't qualify our D for quite so elite status, until we can prove that they're all patched up.

SC will be a significant test. I'm worried this is another one of those games we'll drop big time (Kansas '05, Penn State '02, TTECH '04) - look at the relative talent levels, and it could happen. I guess I'm just hoping for the best. If we get blown out, I'll be dismayed - but not shocked. Then again, if we keep it close, I won't be shocked either. We're just a single game into our '06 campaign - lots of unknowns still for both the Trojans and the HUskers.

Purify did, but they wouldn't offer him. I think he will have e big day against SC.

Ah..ok. I couldn't remember which player wanted to play for USC. Hopefully Purify steps up his game. He struggled a little against LaTech.

Did anyone else hear Colin Cowturd today....He basically said the Huskers would be finished before halftime and that Husker fans should wear raincoats not because it would be raining but by the third quarter Husker body parts would be flying everywhere. I think this game will be a shoot out and it may come down to whoever has the ball last.

I would have to say, I hope the Trojan fans are wearing Magnum's or Ribbed for her Pleasure because our players are gonna turn the USC players into our biatches.

My concerns are still the Oline. We have problems protecting Zac. If we do not improve greatly and very quickly, the chance of Zac surviving the SC game are not good. Bigger stronger and faster players for SC than LaTech.

We are going to give up some long passes, that is the nature of the beast, and I expect that. The key is keeping Zac on two feet the whole game and no one coming untouched through the line. I expect Brandon Jackson to start the SC game for his blocking ability. May see two back sets.

We have a chance as long as we keep Zac healthy. If he goes down, it will be over and very ugly.

I agree we did not see much of the defense packages. Very little of the offense. My guess is we saw pretty much everything SC has to offer on both sides as it was close for awhile until the turnovers change the game.

I see know reason to throw in the towel. We can play with these guys as long as the injuries do not stack up.

I still say this is going to be a horse race. High scoring on the SC side of things.......minimum of 38. The question is will the Husker offense be able to match them TD for TD on thier home field. We haven't had a good road team in quite a few years. I don't see SC punting more than 3 times in this game. I see our secondary getting beat for long gains. The question is can we stop the run when they try to mix it up, can Cos get the guys in the right sets at the right time.

I also believe Cally is going to need at least one trick play in the game to loosen thier D up a little bit. If the game were on our own turf I'd be more optomistic but I'm still not counting the Huskers out yet. Should be a good game if the team shows up for their first real road challenge.

Had we not lost Bowman and others, I thougt we would go in with a 60-70% chance of winning. Now, I put it at about 50/50.

I think the off week for SC will HURT them. They'll have 2 weeks to wallow in their own hype, and will be terribly overconfident.

Many manyy Huskers will be fired up for SC...

ARkansas let that game get away with too many turnovers - kind of like how TT got away in '04.

Remember, even if we're 21 points down, it's not over. I think of Oklahoma and TT last year.