Scout writer take on the game

It was a free article:

scout link

Perspective Piece: Nebraska-USC

By Matt Zemek

Staff Columnist

Posted Sep 14, 2006

Is it likely that Nebraska can march into the Los Angeles Coliseum at night and stun the Trojan Empire? No. But that doesn't mean there isn't reason for Pete Carroll's team to fear the Huskers in this intriguing matchup of big-name college football schools.

Nebraska, you see, is playing with house money in this game. Bill Callahan's team has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Even if the Huskers get drubbed, they'll learn so much (or at least, the residents of Lincoln sure hope they would) that they should be able to win a Big XII North that no longer features Colorado (winner of the division for the last two years and four of the last five) as a legitimate contender. And oh, if the former coach of the NFL Raiders can win in the former stadium of the NFL Raiders, the Nebraska program won't just affirm its status as the North favorite; the Big Red will become a resurgent national force that would be favored to beat Texas later this season.

What further adds to the fear factor for the homestanding Trojans is that Nebraska--while having nothing to lose--has the coach in Callahan with an offensive mind fertile enough to not only take chances, but to do so creatively. Carroll, a defensive guru, and coordinator Nick Holt could have their hands full against a team that has every reason to throw a full playbook at the Cardinal and Gold defense. In some ways, this matchup is reminiscent of the Fresno State-USC game from last November at the Coliseum. A visiting team with no pressure on its back will enter LA with a full tank of energy and belief. If Nebraska's confidence is fed and heightened early on, look out. John David Booty, just two games into his USC career as a starting quarterback, could find himself in a position where he has to win a shootout. Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush were able to overcome and outscore Fresno ten months ago; if a calculator game emerges this Saturday night in the City of Angels, it's definitely to Nebraska's advantage.

Now that Nebraska's dream scenario has been unrolled in painstaking detail, however, the reality of this matchup is that the Trojans--while playing at home--have a profoundly stronger defense and are likely to punch the Huskers in the mouth on both sides of the ball. The most impressive dimension of SC's opening-night win in Arkansas was the physicality with which Troy pushed around the Razorbacks, bludgeoning the Hogs with a relentless defense and a billy-basic offense that relied on power and never needed much of any finesse. And while Nebraska stands to win the Big XII North this year (that's the good news in Lincoln), the bad news is that winning the Big XII North doesn't exactly represent the zenith of football excellence. The Big XII's fortunes have gone South--literally--over the past few years, as the power center of the conference has resided in Texas and Oklahoma. While Nebraska shows some indications of returning to prominence as a legitimate national power, the Huskers have many more miles to go before they can sleep on a top-10 ranking and a Tom Osborne-like set of credentials. This larger reality is what is likely to limit Nebraska's chances of coming away with a victory in Tinseltown.

So no one will be caught dead saying that USC's likely to have an even-steven fistfight on its hands this Saturday. But just the same, there's reason to be wary of a Nebraska team that's playing with extra poker chips. Should make for an interesting battle between two of the best brand names in college football.

:restore

What about Fried Green Beans at TGI Fridays?? Just playin.

Good article. I'm sooo stoked for this game. I just want to skip to Saturday. I know this guys says the game isn't "even-stevens," but I think those extra "chips" will push us over the top on these over-rated, glamor-shot princesses. GO BIG RED!!

Their last season is just that though....LAST SEASON.

They lost a bunch of talent bud....a bunch.

I'm not saying they suck, don't get me wrong....but their rank is purely based on last couple years of performance...we haven't seen them in depth yet.

Just watch.

Come on darveaux...don't you know that's how the talking heads of the sportscasting world work? They don't base their picks and comments based on this years playing. It's all based on last years. Heaven forbid they break they "i'm really a dumbass sportscaster" rule and make comments based on teams' current performance. :sarcasm

If we win, I want everyone to be very very very quiet. I'm sure if you listen hard, you'll hear the collective "POP!" sound which will be all the sportcasters pulling their heads out their asses.

this is an interesting look at the game. I find it interesting how quickly they discount our defense though. the comment about USC having a "have a profoundly stronger defense" made me laugh. unless they are talking about an NFL team no one has a D that much better than us. to me thats what everyone who is not a husker fan will be shaking there head about after the game. I think our D is going to blow them up a time or 2.

there d is hurting too. they are missing there starting DT(who has been called the heart of there defense by some of there fans), saftey, and there MLB is questionable. I think to much is being made of the size difference with our db's and their wr's. I think we will get burnt some, but if we dont have at least one pick I will be shocked. I think they will have a horrible time with our front 7, and booty will be putting some up for grabs.

I agree with the score often and early. In the 4th the depth of that program can become a factor. Up till then it's only 11 on 11. When fatigue sets in and they have fresh legs is when the depth really makes a difference............well that and special teams. We can't afford to put the thoroughbreads on the special teams the way SC can. If we give them the short field after each kick off it'll be a very long night.