Lost Some Faith

Washusker

I am for one pissed off at BC coaching effort at USC....

but I'm still a Husker fan

I am for one pissed off that Cody Glenn "didn't" at all play....

but I'm still a Husker Fan

I am for one pissed that we lost to the #4 team in the nation....

but I'm Still a Husker Fan

I am for one pissed that we dropped in the rankings....

But I'm Still a Husker Fan

And for my own opinion...I'm pissed that I feel this way....

BUT.....I'm... Well, I'm sure you people can finish my thought

Let's go back to Memorial and continue with 278

as far as i know your not, nor did i say you were. by adding that "if you want" it gave you your freedom of choice.

and i will give you credit, we are just bumping heads since our opinions differ, and i apologize if i irked ya, but that's what's great about college football isn't it?

I'll agree with that.

GBR!!! :restore

From Eric: From the LA Times:

"On a clear and breezy night before a crowd bathed in USC cardinal and pockets of Nebraska red, the Trojans were unable to uncork the trademark scoring sprees that typified USC teams of the previous three-plus seasons."

And if our players would have made the damn plays we were suppose to, we could have won.

Guys, going into the fourth quarter, USC outyarded us by no more than about 25 yards. If we didn't have that holding penalty that called back that nice run to the USC 20-yard line in the first half, if Washington hadn't picked up Booty's fumble from Bradly's sack and gained 13 yards in the first half, if we hadn't fumbled the ball away on our first possesion in the third quarter, they score may have been even going into the fourth quarter. That is what Callahan was aiming for.

Perhaps then you might had seen Callahan being more aggresive and going for the win. When we scored that early fourth quarter TD (21-10) and if NU had gotten the ball back instead of USC's clock-eating TD drive, again I think Callahan would have been more aggresive. But USC ate to much clock and scored that game- clinching TD.

There were three or four plays that maybe kept this game from going to the wire. Then a bunch of NU fans perhaps would be saying what a brilliant game plan Callahan came up with.

Hey, I remember an under-appreciated coach who had several 9-3 type seasons, couldn't beat Oklahoma, many fans wanted him fired, and he almost took the Colorado job in 1979. Now who was that?

I dont really think anybody is saying that we should have passed the ball 60 times, but running 39 times for less than 2 yards a carry didn't work. It was obvious that it didn't work by the end of the first half! So, start mixing in more of the pass. Thats not saying pass it every down but put some in. That lack of adjustment is just poor coaching.

I stand by that if we had passed 25-30 times that the game would have been closer. Think about it, going three and out on three rushing plays doesn't really keep the defense off the field. Now if a few of those passes got first downs, the defense could be off the field longer and we might have had more of a chance to score. I'm not saying one bit we would have won, but I think the difference would have been less than 18, and the team would have looked better.

:rant His ignorance at the end of the second quarter was astounding. We were down 14-3 and instead of putting up some sort of fight by using a west coast offence and throwing the ball, he decides to sit on the ball and run out the clock, all for USC to get a clean second run starting the second half. During over half the game it seems that he only had 4 plays; draw, dive, pitch, and punt...
Again- no huge problem with the overall gameplan, but can anyone address my problem with what BC did before half?

Also, where was our best linebacker? (Octavien)

Well, I'd offer this. With incompletions, the clock stops and is not restarted until it is positioned and the ref signals "live". With a run, the clock doesn't stop unless the runner goes out of bounds.

With over two minutes left, we'd for damn sure better complete almost every pass attempted, and we'd for damn sure better get first downs. If we go three-and-out passing, we leave time on the clock for USC to come back and score again.

The odds favored running in that situation - try and bust one. Even if if it doesn't go for a score, it allows you to pin USC near their goal line with little time left. Going to the pass has too many risks. If USC scores just before the half, it could be a back-breaker.

:rant His ignorance at the end of the second quarter was astounding. We were down 14-3 and instead of putting up some sort of fight by using a west coast offence and throwing the ball, he decides to sit on the ball and run out the clock, all for USC to get a clean second run starting the second half. During over half the game it seems that he only had 4 plays; draw, dive, pitch, and punt...

Yea, or throwing a pick and being down 21 3 at half.

Again- no huge problem with the overall gameplan, but can anyone address my problem with what BC did before half?

Also, where was our best linebacker? (Octavien)

Well, I'd offer this. With incompletions, the clock stops and is not restarted until it is positioned and the ref signals "live". With a run, the clock doesn't stop unless the runner goes out of bounds.

With over two minutes left, we'd for damn sure better complete almost every pass attempted, and we'd for damn sure better get first downs. If we go three-and-out passing, we leave time on the clock for USC to come back and score again.

The odds favored running in that situation - try and bust one. Even if if it doesn't go for a score, it allows you to pin USC near their goal line with little time left. Going to the pass has too many risks. If USC scores just before the half, it could be a back-breaker.

You make some valid points, but it still doesn't make much sense. If you don't have any confidence in your team to move the ball and you just lay down and die you have no chance to win. With 2:30 left we could have tried at least ONE big heave downfield. Perhaps with 30 seconds left or something- we had already got a first down. You can't win a game by simply focusing on how good the other team is with the ball- you have to score some of your own.

Yes, USC could have picked it off. You always run that risk when you throw the ball. (Nebraska also could have fumbled on the run too) Nebraska also could have got a big reception (how about throwing to Purify?) and we could have put some points on the board before half. Any reasonable coach knows that when you have the ball, two time outs, and only 2:30 left on the clock before halftime that you have a golden opportunity. BC squandered it.

Yeah. I mean, why even throw the ball at all?? Interceptions can happen any time, right? Better to take a knee three times and punt it off rather than risk a turnover...

:sarcasm

Yeah. I mean, why even throw the ball at all?? Interceptions can happen any time, right? Better to take a knee three times and punt it off rather than risk a turnover...

:sarcasm

You're missing the point.

You throw a pick and the guy runs it back for a touchdown, now you are down 18 going into the second half instead of 11. That's a whole posession on offense that you might not get back in the 2nd half.

People talk like all they had to do was throw the ball and we win by 30. Ridiculous.

You're missing the point.

You throw a pick and the guy runs it back for a touchdown, now you are down 18 going into the second half instead of 11. That's a whole posession on offense that you might not get back in the 2nd half.

People talk like all they had to do was throw the ball and we win by 30. Ridiculous.

By the same token, if you put the ball in the air, move the ball down the field, and put it in the end zone or at least kick a field goal, and that's 7 or 3 points you don't have to make up in the second half.

I'd prefer doing that than try to avoid the pick-six.