Lost Some Faith

Washusker

Washusker, I do have respect for most everything you say on this board. But this time I have to disagree with you. As a few have previously posted, BC scripted the best game he could with the talent he has. Our O-line is still growing and our secondary is vulnerable in many ways.

Rather than risk injury on a team that was superior in talent, he did play conservative. Conserving the health of the team to compete for the conference championship which is very obtainable.

You post as if our season was already 5-6; we are 2-1. It is quite possible that we wont lose another game this season...including our bowl game.

Remain optimisitc, we are still early in the season with a lot of games ahead.

So you are saying we suck so bad that all BC thought we should do is just run REGARDLESS of what happens? A coach is suppose to adjust to what the D is allowing and not allowing. That is just my opinion though...

I don't think he thinks we suck at all!!!! He's just going on past game experiences from watching the tapes and saw that people that have been successful in the past have run a lot against SC!!! :dunno Granted they had a weaker than normal secondary, but they were very fast. When Taylor is looking at 8 people back there to play against the pass there isn't much you can do. We are better than we have been in the last 4 or so years, but we don't have the talent that USC has. I thought we could beat them and if we wouldn't have made some mistakes, penalties, and turnovers then we may have, but we made those mistakes and they didn't!!!! What can ya do but move on and look forward to Troy. :restore

BC coached like a guy who didn't believe his team could compete with SC.

I think he called a TERRIBLE game.

I really don't know if he's a guy who can lead this program to championships.

And no, that is not an overreaction. If he coaches like this in a big game, why would he be any different in any other game?

We learned something about BC, and I don't like what we learned.

I'll gladly take my beating from all you who think that I'm an :asshat , but my mind is made up.

I really don't trust BC.

This is why we ran the friggin ball.

From the LA Times:

"On a clear and breezy night before a crowd bathed in USC cardinal and pockets of Nebraska red, the Trojans were unable to uncork the trademark scoring sprees that typified USC teams of the previous three-plus seasons."

And if our players would have made the damn plays we were suppose to, we could have won.

I concede that we needed to run the ball a lot. I agree that we could have won on that gameplan if Grix and/or Shanle would have caught the INT and Lucky wouldn't have fumbled.

HOWEVER- there is NO excuse for what happened before halftime. With over 2:30 left and two time outs Callahan runs the ball up the gut five times and walks into the locker room right after USC scored a TD. Doesn't even try to move down the field and sneak in a field goal or TD and give the team a little momentum. Say what you will about the overall gameplan, that was vanilla flavored bad coaching. With that much time on the clock we could have run the clock down if the drive wasn't going well anyway. We had little to lose and everything to gain. That was just terrible and I don't think that anyone could or should defend it. It was a gutless move- the end.

That was the only thing that really really irked me about the game.

Since I started this thread, I am compelled to respond.

Would someone explain how you hope to improve your team if you shelve half of your playbook when playing better teams?? How does one measure his progress if he doesn't use all of his bullets?

The game plan was designed to keep the game close so as to hope for a shot at the end. I don't think this would get us any closer to victory than using the whole playbook would have. SC's weakest part is its secondary. Why not attack it? Our secondary needed help. Why not attack SC's line of scrimmage more?

Is there more risk in running the whole playbook?? Sure. But there was more reward as well. If this truly was a "measuring stick" game, as BC put it, then why not make sure you bring to the table all you've got, so you can actually get an accurate measurement? All we learned from this game is that our front seven are tough SOBs. We didn't learn enough about our offense or defense. We didn't get an accurate measurement. How again does that help this program?

And by the way, from the reading I've done on this site and others, I'm not the only one who questioned the gameplan. Nor am I in a small minority. It's about 50-50 between those who agree and disagree.

So who's right, and who's wrong?

I am done talking about USC until next year. Let's get ready for Troy. This game scares the hell out of me...