RB Situation

CoachKevin

I think Jackson is our best with the rock. He has power and speed. Always gets yards after contact. I am not sure how well he pass blocks though. That most likely is why he isn't seeing the field more.

Cody should be used more in those 3rd and 2 situations.

Problem with using them in situations is that Coaches will figure out quik that when Jackson or Cody are in, it is going to be a run.

I'm still hoping one of the backs emerges and has a breakout season, much like I.M. Hipp did in the mid-1970s.

I recall he had a huge sophomore season, ran for a lot of yards and touchdowns and the media loved him. It didn't hurt he had such a cool name, but man that kid could run. There could be more parallels with the current talented group as back then another great Husker tailback named Rick Berns emerged. I think they even had another excellent ball carrier around that time called Monte Anthony.

It'll be interesting to see if which, if any, of the current group will become bigtime Huskers. I'm hoping and praying that happens. The physical abilities seem to be there, but there are so many intagibles that go into becoming a fabled NU I Back. I'd love to see any of them become half as tough as Berns was, or be able to create separation with speed and moves and go the distance like Hipp.

Getting into the rhythm of the game could be problematic with wholesale substitutions, but the coaches gave Lucky a chance Saturday to step up but the SC defense wasn't about to let him have a big game.

sorry, but Lucky showed me nothing......an average back for us or any other team, unless he has a stellar line to run behind

He averages 6 yards every time he touches the ball. Shouldn't that count for something? Against La-Tech he had 121 on 16 touches and against Nicholls State he had 126 yards on 19 touches. Against USC he only had 39 yards on 11 touches but he also had about a 17 yarder called back because of a hold. Some people forget that Lucky is called on to be areceiver as well. He has a long reception of 19 yards for the record. Don't give me the "He got most of his yards against the crappy teams" because aside from the Linebackers everyone on the teams stats were better those two games. He will be fine as will the rest of the backs.

In no way can you fault Marlon for not having a long run this year. A RB can't get a 75 yarder all by himself.

The difference I've seen from Marlon between this year and last is that this year he is running with some authority and confidence. He hit the holes fast against La Tech and when he knew he couldn't run away from someone he would try to run over them. He didn't have quite the burst against Nicholls for some reason, but still went to the hole strong. He didn't do that last year. He ran almost timid at times. This year it doesn't appear he is afraid of contact. I think when you look at the entire package Marlon has to offer, you can see that he has what it takes to garner his 5 :star status. I don't think he's there now, but I think with time and work that he will be.

As far as the other backs, I think the coaches see Wilson having a combination of Lucky's speed and Glenn's toughness. He's a bit bigger and stronger than Lucky and I think that's why he was used more in the USC game. He hits the hole quicker than any back we have, and we couldn't afford our backs to get stopped for losses against USC.

What I'm confused about, though, is why we aren't seeing our linemen drive block and our RB's blast thru the hole immediately. Instead the run plays are zone stretch plays and counters. Guess I'm more a fan of smash-mouth, run it straight at the defense football than I am at the running play 'developing' like we're seeing now.

***SNIP***

What I'm confused about, though, is why we aren't seeing our linemen drive block and our RB's blast thru the hole immediately. Instead the run plays are zone stretch plays and counters. Guess I'm more a fan of smash-mouth, run it straight at the defense football than I am at the running play 'developing' like we're seeing now.

I think that's become pretty much the "standard" these days. The idea being that it creates more cutback lanes, which makes it difficult for the defenders to close on since they are moving in an opposite direction.