40 and 100 times

I think Kenny Wilson ran a 10.2 100 meters and a 21.1 200 meters in high school, both unsurprisingly school records. The 10.2 would have put him up there with the nation's fastest high schoolers in that distance.

Glenn's 10.9 100 meters would consistently win that race in most high school track meets in Iowa in Class 1A, Class 2A and Class 3A; but the 4A winning times for the bigger schools are generally a tenth or two faster.

Iowa Hawkeye basketball player Adam Haluska, for example, was one of Iowa's all-time fastest school boys, and clocked around a 10.35 100 meters. I think this might be close to Iowa's all-time best as well. Former Hawkeye Tim Dwight who went to high school in Iowa City was also one of Iowa's fastest and I think he ran in the 10.4 range.

With that in mind, had Wilson ran his 10.2 in Iowa he would likely be considered the fastest kid to come out of our state. I don't know if any Nebraskan has ever gone under 10.2. It's nearly world-class speed, which is 10 flat and under in the 100.

Wilson's times are real impressive.

As much as I like Glenn, his time in the 100 meters of 10.9 was considered respectable in Texas, particularly considering that husky frame he was lumbering around. But, the elite sprinters in our state are just in a different league.

In Texas to really be considered a burner, you need to be in the 10.1 to 10.2 range in the 100 and around 20.6 to 20.7 or better in the 200.

Our state record in the 100 meters is 9.9 by Henry Neal and 20.13 in the 200 meters by Roy Martin. Both are actually also national records.

If anyone cares, the actual times are below.......

http://www.ihsa.org/activity/trb/records/eventrec.htm

Although I only saw maybe four or five of his college games on TV, I always thought Eric Crouch had good speed when he played at Nebraska. I noticed from this article that Eric's personal best in the 100 meters was 10.95.....

http://www.theindependent.com/data/pstats/...900_Crouch.html

In summary, Glenn is faster than much of the Husker Nation realizes and Wilson can just flat out sprint!

:bang:bang Here I go again, I am confused are football players ever timed in full pads? Isn't that how you play on Saturday? I would be interested who is the fastest with pads on of the Husker backs. Also don't they play tackle, so doesn't yards after contact matter? Some are very good at running when a lot of grass is available but not so good if you are fix'in (Maydelle word) to get the crap knocked out of you. All this stuff make my rearend want a dip of snuff. Good luck today and rest of the year Huskers.
:bang:bang Here I go again, I am confused are football players ever timed in full pads? Isn't that how you play on Saturday? I would be interested who is the fastest with pads on of the Husker backs. Also don't they play tackle, so doesn't yards after contact matter? Some are very good at running when a lot of grass is available but not so good if you are fix'in (Maydelle word) to get the crap knocked out of you. All this stuff make my rearend want a dip of snuff. Good luck today and rest of the year Huskers.

Maydelle you are wound up tighter than bark on a tree today.