40 and 100 times

I beginning to hate 40 times, and I really hate 100 times. How the heck is the kid's time in the 100 m any relation to football, unless we start at the goal-line and he is trying to outrace someone trying to catch him.

Even 40 times seem to be a misnomer to me. It is that burst of quickness at most positions that really makes the difference. Isn't there an 10 yard agility drill or something that measures this?

Heck, give me there 10 yard times, electronically timed of course. That would tell you a lot more of how they comparibly play football then there 40 or 100 times.

40 times are nothing more then 100% misleading hype! Grant it..it shows that a player is fast but it is also misleading. How hard is it to line up with no football gear on and run a nice, straight 40 yards? Not too diffucult. Now do it with full pads, crowd noise, people trying to tear your head off, following blockers, running with your head on a swivel? See my point? Too many times people gauge a player's running ablility ONLY on his 40 times. I think 40 times are garbage!

I beginning to hate 40 times, and I really hate 100 times. How the heck is the kid's time in the 100 m any relation to football, unless we start at the goal-line and he is trying to outrace someone trying to catch him.

Even 40 times seem to be a misnomer to me. It is that burst of quickness at most positions that really makes the difference. Isn't there an 10 yard agility drill or something that measures this?

Heck, give me there 10 yard times, electronically timed of course. That would tell you a lot more of how they comparibly play football then there 40 or 100 times.

I believe you may be thinking of the 20-yard shuttle run. That's what's used by the NFL Draft Combine.

It's probably the most underrated tests at the combine, at least to the general public. It tests speed, explosion, and change of direction. Each prospect is timed in how fast they can go 5 yards to their left, then 10 back to the right, and finishing 5 yards to their left in one straight line.

It tests lateral quickness, coordination, change of direction, and to some extent, initial burst - since that will help determine how well you get going and directly leads to how quickly you can finish the test.

Most scouts really like the test, since it is much closer to actual football-related actions than a 40-yard dash.

The NFL puts a lot of stock in the 40. Zach Bowman's time, in the 4.3s I believe, made him a possible first-round draft choice. There wouldn't have been that talk if he were in the 4.5s.

It wouldn't bother me if all of our linebackers could run 4.5 to 4.6 and the DBs quicker yet.

Eric Crouch, I recall, only lost one 100-meter race in high school and it was to a future Husker. Don't remember who beat him. I don't think that 10.95 time quoted was his fastest ever. I'm thinking he ran in the 10.7s.

I dont care if we have blazing speed in the back feild but we do need to recruit blazing speed at the wideout and secondary spots... If we are gonna compete asgainst the Usc's Florida teams and majority of the power house teams we have to be able to run with them not just over them... Hell ill beat this into the ground Rose Bowl Miami Andre Johnson remember that? We didnt have a guy on

Defense that could cover him or their 5th wideout on the team.. Speed kills and is a huge threat we you also have it on offense..

Willis

Official 40 times are definately dumb. Another example using crouch. He didn't have a mind boggling 40 time but god bless anybody who could catch him when he was racing down the sideline. The only real measurment of skill is on the gridiron on saturday

40 time are basically worthless in college football. Shuttle times are a much better assesment of a guys speed quality on the field. I used to run a good 40, who cares? I sure as hell don't. There really is NOT a measurement for 'on field decision-making, block-following, defender-juking speed.' The problem I have is that you can't judge this type of thing in practice, you must see it on the field. There is no doubt that a game situation is WAY different that practice, let alone a timed measurment.

Crouch definitely was unreal fast in pads. The only time I remember anyone running him down from behind was when Miami clocked us in that Rose Bowl. I said, "Uh, oh" when I saw that happen a couple of times because it was just unheard of.

I thought Marlon Lucky showed a bit of the old Johnny Rodgers hip and leg action last night, especially on his second touchdown.

Some guys will juke and they stand still and get clobbered, but Lucky, like Rodgers, had some great moves and kept moving forward, increasing speed as he headed upfield.

Rodgers also did some cool stuff with his shoulders to make people miss and Lucky maybe even had some of that going on last night as well.