Opinions of NU-UT from the "less than completely biased fan"

Lincoln, NE- Before the game began, I had a difficult time fighting off thinking about Michigan's pending afternoon clash with redemption-seeking Iowa- but when the ball kicked off at 11am I found myself completely enthralled by this Big XII majors bash. Here are a few of my observations concerning the game...

1) Nebraska's Red Zone Defense: I was really impressed with the short field 'd.' I believe Texas was stopped short on close yardage at least 3 or 4 times.

2) Zac Taylor: I'm really impressed with the way Taylor plays as a mature general that plays within his abilities. I have a hard time recalling many plays where I felt he made poor decisions. His execution is solid and I think NU should be pleased with the way that he has come along.

3) Creativity: As a Big Blue fan, it's no wonder that I would be impressed by this (I'm still not convinced that our playbook contains more than 6 plays...). The back-to-back plays of 1) triple reverse and 2) halfback pass left me with just one word: wow.

4) Memorial Stadium: I've been there before, but I have never, EVER been anywhere louder EVER than it was today. What an atmosphere today...

5) Nebraska outplayed Texas: The redemptive quality for Texas today was that they were able to finish the game. It required them to put that ball in the hands (or rather the foot) of a green kicker in order to get to that, but in reality that was the only thing UT had on NU today. It really is unfortunate that the 3rd down reception was fumbled because aside from that, Nebraska truely earned victory today.

The reality is that Nebraska is a fumble away from being at or around the Top 10. In my opinion it's a travesty that Nebraska will likely drop in the polls tomorrow given what I saw today. If NU plays to it's potential, there is no reason NU shouldn't be seeing a rematch with UT in the Big XII title game on December 2nd with a possible BCS berth. (Just hopefully they won't end up playing against Michigan again because I'm hoping for a date on January 8th in Glendale...)

Keep your heads up NU fans, your team is coming around. I really think both of our programs have been taking steps forward this year.

GO BLUE!

GO BIG RED!

Nice post! I have to say, I also hope we don't get a rematch with Michigan this year (but for different reasons). You guys have a scary team.

As impressed as I was with Nebraska, though, I was just as impressed with Texas. They have a damn good team, better than I gave them credit for. And as sick as people might be of hearing about Colt, his performance was probably the most impressive thing in the whole game.

This game showed me that Nebraska is where I thought we were at. One or two steps away from having a complete team that can compete on a regular basis with top 10 teams. I can't ask for more after 2 and a half seasons.

Thanks for sharing your perspective Jays. We appreciate the kind words, and especially b/c of the fact that you dont don the Big Red spectacles. Best of luck to you guys v OSU. After hearing similar stories from numerous UT fans today, Im starting to believe Ohio St "fans" might just be the biggest losers that ever existed.

Oh, and upon reading some other posts on this thought, I also wanted to mention that I too was impressed by the classiness of the Husker fans that I came in contact with.

I've been to several NU games at Memorial, but this was the first one that I showed up to wearing the other team's garb. I attended the game with a classmate that is a Longhorns diehard and for the sake of making her feel less "alone" in the sea of red, I pulled on the burnt orange (frankly, I wasn't really swayed one way or another going in). In the past I have been somewhat skeptical of NU's claim to being the classiest of fans, but in actually going through the "visitor" experience firsthand I need to comment upon this...

Before the game I received some good-natured ribbing and by-and-large was treated VERY cordially and had a great time sitting in with Husker fans. What I was most impressed by, however, was the way we were treated following the game. As usual, there are a few yay-hoos that walk by and say something rude (which occurs everywhere) but I was probably congratulated and offered a handshake nearly TEN TIMES walking out of the stadium. This really embodies what competition is all about folks. With all the garbage going on with brawls, disrespect, and the like it was very encouraging to see that kind of sportsmanship. I've been to many Michigan games against traditional rivals and I can't say we offer nearly that kind of graciousness. I'm not a Husker fan (or Texas fan for that matter) but it's hard to not like NU with that kind of respectful fanbase.

By the way, the way the fans cheered the Huskers off the field... very nice to see- I was as equally impressed by the fans as I was by the team.

Great post Jays - thanks for sharing your thoughts. Hopefully Carr will add at least a couple more plays to get your playbook total up to double-digits - HA :)

I am rooting hard for Big Blue against OSU. I have heard about, and experienced what a bunch of :asshat 's their fans are. Most of us think of Oklahoma or Colorado fans as the worst, but I tell ya - OSU has them beat.

GO BIG BLUE!

Thanks for the kind words GOBLUE I really appreciate it..........I hope Michigan stomps the hell out of Ohio State!!!! Hopefully we get some revenge on Dec. 2nd against Texas!!! I already told my wife I'm taking some time off of work around that time and I'm getting tickets to that game...........she told me no before the Texas vs. Neb. game but after she went and actually seen the atmosphere and experienced it for herself she is now not stopping me one bit!!!! GBR!!!! :restore