Breaking down the staff in year 3

First off let me start out by saying this: I've been as critical of this staff as anyone else. I didn't want Callahan hired as the head coach from the start, but let's face it he's a hell of a lot better than Houston Butt. This staff has done some remarkable things especially this season, but there are things they are not doing as well. I'll give my good and bad of the staff, and then read all of yours.

THE GOOD: We're outscoring our opponents this year like 87 to 10 in the first quarter. The pregame preparation for each game is probably second to none of any other coaching staff in D1 ball. The scripted plays not only work but work exceptionally well. Not only is the offensive coaching staff doing an exceptionally good job scheming, so is the defense. Comparing year 3 to years 1 and 2, we're in each and every game. The USC and Texas games were lost before kickoff or written off by most of us fans. However, there were times in both games we could have taken over and potentially won the game especially the Texas game. There have been no blowout losses like we sustained from TT a couple of years ago. The recruiting in key positions has been for the most part good.

THE BAD: After the first quarter or half, the coaching staff looks lost. Major let downs against KU and Okie State. The road record through 2.5 years is not good. The pregame scheming is very good as mentioned above, but during the game this staff has problems with schemes. We're not getting blown out this year, but we're not really blowing out teams that we should be far superior. We recruit good talent, but it seems like we recruit the good talent all to just a few spots on the field like running back. When we're on offense, it seems like this staff calls plays that they don't expect the other team to expect like trying to out guess the other coaching staff instead of calling the play that will mostly like get it done. When we're on defense, we play to stop one play the whole game rather than adjusting (KU game against screen). Lastly, a complete and total lack of ability to motivate this team especially in the 2nd half.

THE UGLY: BC is just 36-31 as a head coach despite making it to the Super Bowl and inheriting a 10-3 team at Nebraska. The road record is something like 7-14 here at Nebraska. One of the biggest liabilities on this team this year is the offensive line. BC was an offensive line coach at Wisconsin and the Philadelphia Eagles. I guess I expected this to be the strength of the team. Cosgrove's defense most of the time looks just as lost on the field as Bohl's did against CU.

All in all, this staff hasn't been the major disappointment that I had expected. However, they haven't been the second coming like Pete Carroll and Bob Stoops either as most had hoped. I will say this though. In business, it's never a good idea to hire someone just because he was an old roommate or a good friend. I think eventually, BC will be forced to fire his old roommate. If Callahan can ever have as much success with his during the game schemes as he does with his pregame schemes, his offense should keep us close to most opponents. Steve Spurrier never won a NC until he figured out that it took more than offense to win games. It's hard to read this staff as we take some steps forward and roll along and then get side swiped by a truck and take steps back. We are better than we were in 2004, but how much better are we? We haven't beaten a top 25 team this year, but we beat a BCS bowl bound Pitt team in 2004. Time will tell, but in college football these days time is something that's hard to come by.

Good post. I agree with almost everything you said. The two biggest areas of concern right now are our offensive line and our sesondary. I've had the same thoughts about Callahan being an offensive line coach, and was shaking my head at the end of last season. Nebraska ran the ball poorer than almost every single division 1A football team last year. But we have made strides this season. We are averaging about a hundred yards more on the ground per game. So we are making progress. And we had a huge number of offensive linemen in last season's recruiting class. These guys should start contributing next season. Our defensive backs should be healthier as well. At the end of this season we lose so many starters on defense our secondary just may be the strength of our defense next year.

IMO Husker fans are learning more about how much it takes to build and sustain a dynasty. There are going to be the rough years that are hopefully then followed by the great years. From what I see, the coaching staff has gotten A LOT better in working with players and scaling things down from the pros to the college level. The big question I have is how the coaches will improve on both their road record and maintaining momentum throughout the entire game.

Another thing that I have not seen mentioned is that we have had very few off-the-field incidents with players under this coaching staff. While Miami and other programs (South Carolina) have lost their grip on player discipline, we have kept this important area in check and can focus on what is happening on the field.

Offensive Line play, both on the run and pass blocking, is very suspect. Defensive line and LB play is very suspect. Secondary Coverage is very suspect. Tackling fundamentals are very suspect. The team does not seem motivated nor to rise to the occasion. The team does not make adjutments from first half to second half or throughout the game. When a weakness is found and exploited by the opposition, nothing is done to address the discovery.

To my way of thinking, these are all aspects of less than stellar coaching.

Could I do better? Of course not. But, I can't believe that BC and crew are the caliber that the NU tradition deserves.

With that said, I'll always root for the Huskers, no matter who leads them.

:restore

First off let me start out by saying this: I've been as critical of this staff as anyone else. I didn't want Callahan hired as the head coach from the start, but let's face it he's a hell of a lot better than Houston Butt. This staff has done some remarkable things especially this season, but there are things they are not doing as well. I'll give my good and bad of the staff, and then read all of yours.

THE GOOD: We're outscoring our opponents this year like 87 to 10 in the first quarter. The pregame preparation for each game is probably second to none of any other coaching staff in D1 ball. The scripted plays not only work but work exceptionally well. Not only is the offensive coaching staff doing an exceptionally good job scheming, so is the defense. Comparing year 3 to years 1 and 2, we're in each and every game. The USC and Texas games were lost before kickoff or written off by most of us fans. However, there were times in both games we could have taken over and potentially won the game especially the Texas game. There have been no blowout losses like we sustained from TT a couple of years ago. The recruiting in key positions has been for the most part good.

THE BAD: After the first quarter or half, the coaching staff looks lost. Major let downs against KU and Okie State. The road record through 2.5 years is not good. The pregame scheming is very good as mentioned above, but during the game this staff has problems with schemes. We're not getting blown out this year, but we're not really blowing out teams that we should be far superior. We recruit good talent, but it seems like we recruit the good talent all to just a few spots on the field like running back. When we're on offense, it seems like this staff calls plays that they don't expect the other team to expect like trying to out guess the other coaching staff instead of calling the play that will mostly like get it done. When we're on defense, we play to stop one play the whole game rather than adjusting (KU game against screen). Lastly, a complete and total lack of ability to motivate this team especially in the 2nd half.

THE UGLY: BC is just 36-31 as a head coach despite making it to the Super Bowl and inheriting a 10-3 team at Nebraska. The road record is something like 7-14 here at Nebraska. One of the biggest liabilities on this team this year is the offensive line. BC was an offensive line coach at Wisconsin and the Philadelphia Eagles. I guess I expected this to be the strength of the team. Cosgrove's defense most of the time looks just as lost on the field as Bohl's did against CU.

All in all, this staff hasn't been the major disappointment that I had expected. However, they haven't been the second coming like Pete Carroll and Bob Stoops either as most had hoped. I will say this though. In business, it's never a good idea to hire someone just because he was an old roommate or a good friend. I think eventually, BC will be forced to fire his old roommate. If Callahan can ever have as much success with his during the game schemes as he does with his pregame schemes, his offense should keep us close to most opponents. Steve Spurrier never won a NC until he figured out that it took more than offense to win games. It's hard to read this staff as we take some steps forward and roll along and then get side swiped by a truck and take steps back. We are better than we were in 2004, but how much better are we? We haven't beaten a top 25 team this year, but we beat a BCS bowl bound Pitt team in 2004. Time will tell, but in college football these days time is something that's hard to come by.

lets deal with this "evaluation" after the season. What good does it do now, possible five games left