Defense

Since I've got some time and there seems to be a lot of anger towards Coz and Co. lately I thought I'd compare last year to this year.

Passing Defense - 207.9 yds/game

Rushing Defense - 124.2 yds/game

Total Defense - 332.2 yds/game

Scoring Defense - 21.0 pts/game

Passing Defense - 221.9 yds/game

Rushing Defense - 120.2 yds/game

Total Defense - 342.1 yds/game

Scoring Defense - 17.7 pts/game

So is the defense really that bad? A 20 difference in passing yards per game is a fair trade for 3 fewer points per game. After all, isn't it the points that really matter?

Frankly, with the injuries sustained to the back 7 this year I'd have to say that Coz and Co. have done OK for themselves. True there were letdowns vs. KU and Okie St. but even the best defenses will give up points. Michigan gave up 26 to Ball St. last week.

People fell in love with the sack totals last year, but teams are going to gameplan to defeat your strengths. NU has seen a lot more 3 step drops this year. All USC did was take one step back and throw to Jarret. Eveyone needs to relax, Coz is doing just fine.

status quo. The defense is about even to last year's 8-4 team.

The great improvement of the offense is the biggest difference of this team to last years.

scoring avg 24.7

rush ypg 96.0

pass ypg 224.3

total ypg 320.3

time of possession 29:56

scoring avg 34.2

rush ypg 188.6

pass ypg 246.4

total ypg 435.0

time of possession 32:45

Better in all phases and the better time of possession has helped keep the defense off the field to keep those totals from being worse.

Since I've got some time and there seems to be a lot of anger towards Coz and Co. lately I thought I'd compare last year to this year.

So is the defense really that bad? A 20 difference in passing yards per game is a fair trade for 3 fewer points per game. After all, isn't it the points that really matter?

Frankly, with the injuries sustained to the back 7 this year I'd have to say that Coz and Co. have done OK for themselves. True there were letdowns vs. KU and Okie St. but even the best defenses will give up points. Michigan gave up 26 to Ball St. last week.

People fell in love with the sack totals last year, but teams are going to gameplan to defeat your strengths. NU has seen a lot more 3 step drops this year. All USC did was take one step back and throw to Jarret. Eveyone needs to relax, Coz is doing just fine.

I agree with most of this post except the part where you said cos is doing just fine. When was the last time he coached a team defense that was ranked high in total defense. There is alot of improvements that he can make so I do not think he is doing fine. Of course I have not liked the hiring of cos since the start but that is on me. I hope he proves me wrong and gets a defense that is of championship caliber. I could be wrong but I don't think he ever did it at wisconsin

2003 [for a comparison with a different system]

Passing Defense (avg. per game) 187

Rushing Defense (avg. per game) 119

Total Defense (avg. per game) 297 (hey, it's what the table says ;) )

SCoring Defense 14.5

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?AT...p;DB_OEM_ID=100

Of course we were blown up by Missouri, a very good K-State team (well, I think they started off the season ranked #4, didn't they? Then they lost Roberson and had a terrible season. He came back and they killed us AND OU), and, of course, Texas.

What does this mean? Well, not much, does it? I don't know what you're proving by comparing Cosgrove's defense to cosgrove's defense, either. Really, I don't. I'm not being snarky, I just don't see how you're demostrating that he's doing well by comparing his record to itself. I wish that my professors would grade me by using my own papers as a rubric. :)

What does this mean? Well, not much, does it? I don't know what you're proving by comparing Cosgrove's defense to cosgrove's defense, either. Really, I don't. I'm not being snarky, I just don't see how you're demostrating that he's doing well by comparing his record to itself. I wish that my professors would grade me by using my own papers as a rubric. :)

I was comparing this year's defense to last year's defense. People were OK with Cosgrove after last season. Everyone was impressed with the sacks and all the preseason hype. But for whatever reason everyone hates him now. Everyone's talking about how much better we were last year and how horrible the defense is this year when in reality, there's not much difference between the two.

NU's still just as tough against the run and is allowing fewer points but apparently people only care about sacks and tackles for loss.

I was comparing this year's defense to last year's defense. People were OK with Cosgrove after last season. Everyone was impressed with the sacks and all the preseason hype. But for whatever reason everyone hates him now. Everyone's talking about how much better we were last year and how horrible the defense is this year when in reality, there's not much difference between the two.

NU's still just as tough against the run and is allowing fewer points but apparently people only care about sacks and tackles for loss.

I smell what you're steppin' in. I had posted something similar yesterday or so. The defense seems worse, but who knows. The thing that kills me is the inconsistency.

I smell what you're steppin' in. I had posted something similar yesterday or so. The defense seems worse, but who knows. The thing that kills me is the inconsistency.

There were a lot of inconsistencies last year as well. We played tough against Tech then fell apart against Kansas. Then we went on to have great games against Colorado and Michigan.

Speaking of defense inconsistencies, check out this article on the OWH. Seems the Defense themselves are tired of it as well.

Link

A few Huskers, apparently, are finally fed up with the inconsistency.

"We've had enough of it," senior nose tackle Ola Dagunduro said. "The older players have made that message clear. That Oklahoma State game opened our eyes. If you watched that film, it was pretty evident that we had work to do.