We need serious Help

What I really miss is the Monty Kiffins or the Charley McBrides of the world..Where even Musberger would comment at halftime..."You KNOW these coaches will make adjustments at halftime".

Actually it took McBride 15 years to finally make any adjustments. Why remember the first 15 years of being average when we can remeber the last five of being great? When people mention McBride they always seem to forget that he STRUGGLED for MANY MANY years. Even towards the end of his career he still managed some 2nd half stinkers. 1997 Mizzou and 1998 La Tech come to mind.

It all boils down to the fact that complaining isn't going to do anything. Lighten up and you'll enjoy life and football more.

Both all-praise and all-complaining are boring and lack sufficient passion. With a mixture of the two, truly honest conversations develop, for many viewpoints may be considered and discussed.

No "Yes Man", just "Reasonable Man".

It's just so funny how everything is blamed on the coaches. How many years of coaching under your belt??

Eric, to answer your question, yes you always blame the coaches. Especially if you don't really like them to begin with. It's in most every Husker fan's nature to blame the coaching when a play or game doesn't go right. Even though most of em wouldn't know a good game plan if it bit them in the ass. Why? Because the only way they know how to judge if it was a good game plan is if most every play went for at least 10 yards and the other team never gained more than, say, 150 yards.

If that happened, that would be great. However talk of a good game plan and magical adjustments by most fans is, per usual, a drastic oversimplification of the entire game.

Isn't modesty fun? :nanalama

No "Yes Man", just "Reasonable Man".

It's just so funny how everything is blamed on the coaches. How many years of coaching under your belt??

Eric, to answer your question, yes you always blame the coaches. Especially if you don't really like them to begin with. It's in most every Husker fan's nature to blame the coaching when a play or game doesn't go right. Even though most of em wouldn't know a good game plan if it bit them in the ass. Why? Because the only way they know how to judge if it was a good game plan is if most every play went for at least 10 yards and the other team never gained more than, say, 150 yards.

If that happened, that would be great. However talk of a good game plan and magical adjustments by most fans is, per usual, a drastic oversimplification of the entire game.

Isn't modesty fun? :nanalama

Call it modesty or call it knowing what you know and what you don't. Either way.

It all boils down to the fact that complaining isn't going to do anything. Lighten up and you'll enjoy life and football more.

Both all-praise and all-complaining are boring and lack sufficient passion. With a mixture of the two, truly honest conversations develop, for many viewpoints may be considered and discussed.

:yeah

Good points..

And NewEarth..I conveniently forgot about McBride's Strugles..Probably why I remember my old Girlfriend back in Nebraska only for the great times we had and not the number of times she cheated on me.

Thanks for that.

Will we have the patience to persevere again?

Most of me hopes so.

Husker55's rants are not well written, but have a small bit of validity. In the 2nd half this year, we have been outplayed in nearly every game (Texas is the only game I can think of where we were clearly the better team in the 2nd half). Why is this? A lack of overall depth would cause some of the problem, but an overall lack of strategy at halftime has to be part of it as well. We kicked A&M's tail all over the field in the first half and in the second half, we looked inept. You would have to believe that in Callahan and Cosgrove's pregame planning, they would look at possible changes that A&M would have made, and have counter-attacks ready to communicate at half. I loved the win, but we came out of the halftime locker room looking like we expected no change from the opponent.

I hear what you are saying, but if things are working in the 1st half it's kind of hard to go away from that. Unless somehow you have the foresight to know what the defense is going to do in the second half which while it would be sweet, it's not possible.

The play calling in the 2nd half really didn't differ that much from the 1st half. Save the last two drives because at that point we started to throw more and more for obvious reasons.

Hmm....

I remember sometimes at the begiining of the year, BC had great adjustments at the half..... Or at least I think so.

But lately, yes, it's becoming a huge issue.

AH! I've got it--- BC should make 2 different game plans for each game... (the ones he uses in the 1st qtr). ((Does he script the first few plays?)

Anyways, make use one game plan in the first half, and the other in the second half. See how it goes.

Eh?

Maybe not. Oh well.

Callahan has to learn to not sit on the lead like they do in the NFL. It is a DUMB idea as I'm sure all have you have noticed. Maybe if he gets a bit smarter he will finally start going after teams when they're ahead in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

Is he really trying to do that? If so, then yes, I say stop it.

College game is much much more emotional, and can change in a few moments. Momentum is huge. When you've got someone down, you have to go for 50 points as far as I'm concerned. That's how I roll on the video games anyways...

And it's not because I want to run up the score, either.

But because the defense has certain weaknesses that are there to exploit, and saying "I'm only going to run these plays" limits you. As far as I understood, the WCO took what the defense gave you. There's always some weakness that can be exploited

Dammit, I can't wait to get home and play some NCAA football games... I'm jonesing for them really bad....

I'm probably going to have to bring it back here to college, too :?

Callahan has to learn to not sit on the lead like they do in the NFL. It is a DUMB idea as I'm sure all have you have noticed. Maybe if he gets a bit smarter he will finally start going after teams when they're ahead in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

Is he really trying to do that? If so, then yes, I say stop it.

That's the think, I don't think so.

The plays in the first half really didn't differ from the second half that much.

Husker55's rants are not well written, but have a small bit of validity. In the 2nd half this year, we have been outplayed in nearly every game (Texas is the only game I can think of where we were clearly the better team in the 2nd half). Why is this? A lack of overall depth would cause some of the problem, but an overall lack of strategy at halftime has to be part of it as well. We kicked A&M's tail all over the field in the first half and in the second half, we looked inept. You would have to believe that in Callahan and Cosgrove's pregame planning, they would look at possible changes that A&M would have made, and have counter-attacks ready to communicate at half. I loved the win, but we came out of the halftime locker room looking like we expected no change from the opponent.

I think it's safe to assume that any "thinking" opposing Coaching Staff will make adjustments to 1st half injuries, and adjustments to what worked for you in the 1st half. And based on your knowlege of your own Offense, what those Adjustments might be.

That's probably why you might see us tending to try different things in the 2nd half along with a few of the things that did work, just to see their adjustments..

It's a chessmatch..And one of the reasons why Fotball is still so entertaining.