The Beatles - Love

I realize as I'm in the minority, being one of the more experienced members of the board, that this may not appeal to most of you wet-behind-the-ears types, but still....

If you haven't heard it yet, there is a new Beatles album out entitled "Love". It is the soundtrack used to the Cirue du Soleil performance by the same name. Sir George Martin and his son, Giles, had complete access to the Beatles' master tapes of all their recordings. Sir George - in addition to cleaning them up - combined snatches from songs, changed tempos, etc. In one case, he actually reversed "Sun King".

Anyway, for those of you who might have even a slight interest in the music of the Beatles, this is bloody brilliant. While there are complete songs, in most cases the "songs" are actually various combinations of two or more songs into a new, unique sound.

If you are inclined - and have a fast connection - a few of the tunes are available for streaming HERE.

I havent heard it yet, but have been tempted a few times to buy it. My personal Beatles preference is the early stuff they did, like "cant buy me love", "eight days a week", "I wanna hold your hand", "hard days night", "if I fell", "love me do", etc.

Not much into strawberry fields, penny lane, the walrus, etc..

i would like to listen to the re-mixes of the songs to see how they have changed however.

Definitely worth it – my two favorites so far are “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” and “Gnik Nus”. The former is very interesting – it contains the only sounds or music not written by the Beatles. Sir George Martin wrote a new guitar score for it, and then used George Harrison’s “scratch” vocals from an earlier version. The best description I can give for it is beautiful and very haunting. The latter is “Sun King” played in reverse (hence the title). Truly amazing – it has a beautiful melody and is hypnotic.

One thing I recommend is to listen to it with headphones – there is an amazing amount of detail that you don’t catch when playing it in a car, for example. Alternatively, in a quiet room on the stereo works if you turn up the volume a bit.

I havent heard it yet, but have been tempted a few times to buy it. My personal Beatles preference is the early stuff they did, like "cant buy me love", "eight days a week", "I wanna hold your hand", "hard days night", "if I fell", "love me do", etc.

Not much into strawberry fields, penny lane, the walrus, etc..

There’s actually a nice mix, although admittedly it features more of their “later” tunes. One earlier recording that jumps out at you is “Hold Your Hand”. It features the Ed Sullivan intro and can send chills up and down your spine. There are some others as well.