Punt Fake...

Well how does someone become a worse tackeler? Shanle missed tackles this year that were one on one several times that either led to touchdowns or was a touchdown on that play. Let alone him not hitting someone that should have been layed out. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he got hurt last year. I have on idea, maybe he was the only person at his position the coaches felt comfortable with knowing the plays. Even if he knew the plays he was still the most unathletic db nebraska has ever had and I will never think otherwise, that is unless someone proves me wrong which would take a whole lot (players on the field) Maybe he lost a lot of his confidence. Ill agree with you that I dont think the db coaches are the greatest but watching shanle this year was disgusting.

I agree with part of what you said, because I think his confidence had to be low. You don’t make it to you Sr. year at a major D1 school not knowing how to tackle. But if you’re thinking about everything and not just going off instinct it could get rough. I still think its the coaches job to get the guys in the right position so they have less things to think about and they can just play off instinct

Well how does someone become a worse tackeler? Shanle missed tackles this year that were one on one several times that either led to touchdowns or was a touchdown on that play. Let alone him not hitting someone that should have been layed out. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he got hurt last year. I have on idea, maybe he was the only person at his position the coaches felt comfortable with knowing the plays. Even if he knew the plays he was still the most unathletic db nebraska has ever had and I will never think otherwise, that is unless someone proves me wrong which would take a whole lot (players on the field) Maybe he lost a lot of his confidence. Ill agree with you that I dont think the db coaches are the greatest but watching shanle this year was disgusting.

I agree with part of what you said, because I think his confidence had to be low. You don’t make it to you Sr. year at a major D1 school not knowing how to tackle. But if you’re thinking about everything and not just going off instinct it could get rough. I still think its the coaches job to get the guys in the right position so they have less things to think about and they can just play off instinct

Thank God! Finally someone on this thread with a clue.

So shanle lost his confidence...well maybe. If I had coaches that were supposed to get me ready for games, who designed defenses that ALWAYS had me trailing the play, or out of position on coverage...I wouldn't be very confident either.

And I just wonder something...as I stated earlier, these coaches seemed to have the same effect on Bullocks. He went from leading the nation in interceptions, to getting only a couple of pics, and, like Shanle, also being out of position most of the time. Let me try to think back...did he have an injury the previous year? NOPE! Did he lose his confidence? I DON"T KNOW HOW after leading the nation in pics the previous year. So what on earth could have been the differance between the year when Bullocks led the nation in pics, to him having almost no impact on defense? Wait, wait....could it be?....do you think it may have had something to do with?.......the fact that that he got new coaches?

Anyone who watched that fat hack of a D-coordinator standing on the sidelines looking confused and clueless all year, as our team kept having second half meltdowns against the likes of Kansas, OSU, Texas A&M, ect...should realize that it may not be Shanle's fault. Hell...if they can practically ruin a guy like Bullocks, they can most likely F-up anybody. I also saw guys like McKeon, Carriker, and Octavian look less than impressive this season. Did they all lose their confidence?

So its the coaches fualt that shanle is ALWAYS trailing the play? Im glad you finally agree with me that yes shanle did screw up almost every play. Dont you get taught in junior high if youre the safety nothing gets behind you. Looks like he not only got worse athletically but also got dumber from freshman to senior year. The reason Carriker didnt have the kind of year he had last year was because coz wasnt able to blitz as much as he did last year bc he was always having to keep people back to save shanles butt. Tell me why if he is so good then why when he was healthy last year did he not start in front of teitke? The coaches said that they just thought teitke stepped up his game. Stepped up his game past shanle isnt hard to beat tho. It sure seemed to me that teitke was able to make it over in time to knock away a crucial pass in the alamo bowl last year. The coaches had him in position the year before. Is that a coincidence? There werent near as many missed tackles, getting beat deep, and teitke would also hit you if you came into his zone, unlike the ferry we had playing the position this year. Give it up its not the coaches fualt, Shanle sucks!!! I dont know why you cant see that, he made our defense so much worse that I cant even put it into words. With any sort of capable back up shanle would not have played this year. I would love for you to sit down and watch the games again this year and see how many times shanle missed a tackle or screwed up in the many ways he did this year. Not because of the coaches, but because he just plain sucks!!

WOW… it’s hard to respect your “expert analysis” when you make such ridicules statements. How pathetic has the Big Red become when 7th graders are better than some of the BLACKSHIRTS…weird. Now I know you guys have all told me “it’s not coaching the players suck” .So your telling me on our whole roster we don’t have a FS better than your average middle school kid. If he’s the least athletic player we have why design trick plays that involve him, and then run them deep on your own side of the field. The fake punt was dumb and Cosgrove sucks.

Well if you scroll up that is what I said I dont understand and more than likely this post has drug on for as long as it has. I said if we were going to do a fake punt, which would have gone for a lot of yards, but in the end we should have just punted, we should have done it with people that are used to having the ball, or a little more athletic, maybe run it with the guy on the other side of the punt team. Coz doesnt suck and I would have loved to hear what you guys were saying about him last year when his defense led the nation in sacks and tackles for loss. Is a coincidence that we lost Bowman, Teitke, and Bullocks with the rest of the team coming back and the defense was that much worse. Why was the pass defense so bad this year and the way it was last year? Your telling me that Bullocks and Bowman were that good that they could just transform the defense from leading the nation to cant stop anyone against the pass? Is it at all possible that Teitke was better than people thought and shanle is as bad as I say he is. Believe me, I am not the only person who thinks like this. Everyone who I have talked to besides maybe three of you on here thinks shanle is also the worst we have had in a while. According to what you guys are saying since we get Bowman back next year we are just going to be great, I sure wish we had shanle back since he was so good. This is going nowhere, Ill just take your opinion that he is great and the coaches suck and I will most defenately keep my opinion on Shanle is far and away the worst defensive back nebraska has ever, ever, ever had. Live with it, its my opinion and I will never, ever, ever change it. I guess we will all see, including the people on here who think shanle is good that with the people playing next year how bad shanle actually was this year. Heres to the future!! (thank god its without shanle)

Well if you scroll up that is what I said I dont understand and more than likely this post has drug on for as long as it has. I said if we were going to do a fake punt, which would have gone for a lot of yards, but in the end we should have just punted, we should have done it with people that are used to having the ball, or a little more athletic, maybe run it with the guy on the other side of the punt team. Coz doesnt suck and I would have loved to hear what you guys were saying about him last year when his defense led the nation in sacks and tackles for loss. Is a coincidence that we lost Bowman, Teitke, and Bullocks with the rest of the team coming back and the defense was that much worse. Why was the pass defense so bad this year and the way it was last year? Your telling me that Bullocks and Bowman were that good that they could just transform the defense from leading the nation to cant stop anyone against the pass? Is it at all possible that Teitke was better than people thought and shanle is as bad as I say he is. Believe me, I am not the only person who thinks like this. Everyone who I have talked to besides maybe three of you on here thinks shanle is also the worst we have had in a while. According to what you guys are saying since we get Bowman back next year we are just going to be great, I sure wish we had shanle back since he was so good. This is going nowhere, Ill just take your opinion that he is great and the coaches suck and I will most defenately keep my opinion on Shanle is far and away the worst defensive back nebraska has ever, ever, ever had. Live with it, its my opinion and I will never, ever, ever change it. I guess we will all see, including the people on here who think shanle is good that with the people playing next year how bad shanle actually was this year. Heres to the future!! (thank god its without shanle)

What?

Its cool man you keep blaming Shanle for all of our defenses 2nd half melt downs and our complete inability to put pressure on opposing QBs, and continue to put the blame on the guy that designed the system and kept him out there. Heres to the future( even though we had three future NFL DBs in 04 and our D still sucked)

the only problem i have with the fake punt (now that i have FINALLY cooled down over the loss) is that the Risk was FAR to great, and the reward was minimal......

soo lets say we do get the first down plus an extra 10 yards, sound like an awesome deal right???? well, we still have half the football field plus some to go for a TD, and we probably would have wound up punting anyway..............................like the USC fake we converted, it amounted to nohting

MAN! Talk about your incoherent piles of drivel. Try proof reading sometime. I would like to make a few last points. If you choose not to answer, then fine move on and stick to your opinion. However, you have not answered some of my questions, you have not addressed some of my points, and you have been putting words in my mouth. I hope when you said you are starting back to school, you plan on taking an argument and debate class. When you have argued your point, you have committed some of the classical fallacies of logic (straw man, circular rhetoric etc.) throughout this thread. You would seem much more intelligent if you would leave them (fallacious arguments) out of the conversation. Now on to my last parting points.

1. I said that I saw great potential in Shanle, only at a different position…perhaps outside linebacker. I never said he was one of our greatest d-backs ever.

2. I don’t possibly think that Shanle can be as bad as some people, particularly you, keep saying. I admit that I have ZERO faith in our defensive staff, but if he were as bad as you say…even those morons wouldn’t leave him in. The only possible alternative is that the coaching staff is even worse than I think, and they agree with you that he is bad, and leave him in anyway; which hardly seems possible.

3. Once again, I have asked the question and have yet to hear a response: What happened to Bullocks? He led the nation in interceptions when Palini was his defensive coordinator. Then when Coz became his coordinator, he was out of position, confused, late on plays, didn’t tackle well. Hmmmm….sound familiar? Sort of like the complaints about Shanle. Nobody doubts Bullocks’ talent; hell he is an NFL starter now. So what happened to him? Perhaps Coz and Coach Emo happened to him. And Daniel Bullocks looked like crap under Coz at times too. Under Palini, he started the last 9 games of 2003 and made 69 takles. He certainly wasn't a standout under Coz, and he is also an NFL player now.

4. Speaking of talent. As another poster above has mentioned; On Coz’s first team as d-coordinator at Nebraska he had Fabian Washington, Daniel Bullocks, Josh Bullocks, and Barrett Ruud on defense (all NFL starters right now) and he also had LeKevin Smith and Bernard Thomas who are on NFL rosters. That’s six out of 11 on that team that made, and have stayed on, NFL rosters. That year we gave up an average of nearly 300 yards per game and over 27 points per game on defense. That’s up from 14 points per game the previous year (that’s right we gave up an extra 13 points per game in Coz’s first year). We went from 32 interceptions down to 14 (a decline in interceptions of 17). All of those declines in defensive production came when 3 out of our 4 starting D-Backs were future NFL starters. Don’t forget that is the year when we gave up 30 points to OU (and lost), we gave up 26 points to CU (and lost), we gave up 45 points to K-State in Lincoln (and lost), we gave up 34 points to Iowa State (and lost), AND ONE OF THE DARKEST DAYS IN HUSKER HISTORY we gave up 70 points to T-Tech (and of course lost). In fact we even gave up 17 points to lowly little division 1AA Western Illinois (at least we won that one). So where did all those defensive meltdowns come from? What was the difference from 2003-2004 (besides the fact that our D suddenly sucked)? That’s right…2004 was when we got good ‘ol Coach Cosgrove. Maybe Shanle isn’t the greatest D-back we ever had. You noticed I have never tried to compare him to Mike Minter, or Tony Veland, or Bret Clark, or Mike Brown? I just said I think there is plenty of evidence that the problem with our defense is more than just one player. It is our coaching staff. THEY SUCKED EVEN WHEN THEY HAD GREAT TALENT!!!

3. Once again, I have asked the question and have yet to hear a response: What happened to Bullocks? He led the nation in interceptions when Palini was his defensive coordinator. Then when Coz became his coordinator, he was out of position, confused, late on plays, didn’t tackle well. Hmmmm….sound familiar? Sort of like the complaints about Shanle. Nobody doubts Bullocks’ talent; hell he is an NFL starter now. So what happened to him? Perhaps Coz and Coach Emo happened to him. And Daniel Bullocks looked like crap under Coz at times too. Under Palini, but started the last 9 games of 2003 and made 69 takles. He certainly wasn't a standout under Coz, and he is also an NFL player now.

4. Speaking of talent. As another poster above has mentioned; On Coz’s first team as d-coordinator at Nebraska he had Fabian Washington, Daniel Bullocks, Josh Bullocks, and Barrett Ruud on defense (all NFL starters right now) and he also had LeKevin Smith and Bernard Thomas who are on NFL rosters. That’s six out of 11 on that team that made, and have stayed on, NFL rosters. That year we gave up an average of nearly 300 yards per game and over 27 points per game on defense. That’s up from 14 points per game the previous year (that’s right we gave up an extra 13 points per game in Coz’s first year). We went from 32 interceptions down to 14 (a decline in interceptions of 17). All of those declines in defensive production came when 3 out of our 4 starting D-Backs were future NFL starters. Don’t forget that is the year when we gave up 30 points to OU (and lost), we gave up 26 points to CU (and lost), we gave up 45 points to K-State in Lincoln (and lost), we gave up 34 points to Iowa State (and lost), AND ONE OF THE DARKEST DAYS IN HUSKER HISTORY we gave up 70 points to T-Tech (and of course lost). In fact we even gave up 17 points to lowly little division 1AA Western Illinois (at least we won that one). So where did all those defensive meltdowns come from? What was the difference from 2003-2004 (besides the fact that our D suddenly sucked)? That’s right…2004 was when we got good ‘ol Coach Cosgrove. Maybe Shanle isn’t the greatest D-back we ever had. You noticed I have never tried to compare him to Mike Minter, or Tony Veland, or Bret Clark, or Mike Brown? I just said I think there is plenty of evidence that the problem with our defense is more than just one player. It is our coaching staff. THEY SUCKED EVEN WHEN THEY HAD GREAT TALENT!!!

question #3

was Bullocks thrown at as much? i doubt it. if you were a DC would you throw his way or throw towards a different player?

question #4

maybe the defensive meltdowns were because the team got its 3 DC in 3 years and got tired of trying to learn yet another defensive scheme.

i understand that you are not ever going to believe that Coz is the answer, and that is fine. He may not be the answer, only time will tell. how much time should a DC be given to prove that he knows what he is doing? that answer will always be debated.

Shanle's problem is that he always tries to strip the ball instead of tackling. He needs to learn to just level people, and if he hits hard enough, the ball's going to come out. Is this a problem with him or the coaches? None of us know, because not one of us knows how the coaches work with him in practice, what they tell him, whether or not they try and stress getting the tackle over getting the strip. However, I sincerely doubt the coaches are telling him to try and strip the ball. I imagine that he is simply doing what many other people have done before him; trying to make something happen when he should just be doing his job.

Shanle's problem is that he always tries to strip the ball instead of tackling. He needs to learn to just level people, and if he hits hard enough, the ball's going to come out. Is this a problem with him or the coaches? None of us know, because not one of us knows how the coaches work with him in practice, what they tell him, whether or not they try and stress getting the tackle over getting the strip. However, I sincerely doubt the coaches are telling him to try and strip the ball. I imagine that he is simply doing what many other people have done before him; trying to make something happen when he should just be doing his job.

Whatever the problem was, Shanle won't continue do it for Nebraska! I wish him well in the future and thank him for his time and dedication to the Huskers, but I truly am not sorry to see he won't be a option any longer.

Ok I just want to say that I would absolutley love to have Pelini back. I thought he was an outstanding d-coordinator who had fire and brains. I also am taking a argumentation and debate class this semester, so I guess that worked out well. It might have been said, but the class with bullocks and washington went through three d-coordinators in three years I believe, how are you magically supposed to be great the with a new one. I know they were magically under Pelini and I already said I wish we had him back. I am not blaming everything on shanle. I think he had a lot to do with not being able to blitz, and do stuntz because he knew that we would not be able to get to the qb in time without giving up a bunch of yards through the air. I am not sure Coz is the answer either. I am saying that it has been three years and there are going to be players in his system now for three years or at least two. I have no idea why they would leave him in either, the only response I have for that is there just couldnt have been anyone to put in besides him that knew the defense. Again how can you put someone at linebacker if he cant tackle. He wouldnt hit someone who was stretched out, defenseless coming across his zone. How do you expect him to take on Jorvorski Lane coming at him untouched. I can MAYBE see corner because I think he does have good speed, however I really dont think he would have been any better there. Like I said, we will have to wait till next year when he has some athletes in the secondary, notably Asante, I think he is going to be great. Maybe the coaches arent the best, however I will still never change my opinion about shanle. The picks he had this year, he might have well just been picked up and told to stand in that position, looks like the coaches did a pretty good job on those plays. Could it be possible that he just has no football instinct and goes just exactly where the coaches tell him to go and does nothing on his own. Thats what makes all footall players great is the fact that they can make things happen on their own. He without a doubt doesnt have that.

question #3

was Bullocks thrown at as much? i doubt it. if you were a DC would you throw his way or throw towards a different player?

question #4

maybe the defensive meltdowns were because the team got its 3 DC in 3 years and got tired of trying to learn yet another defensive scheme.

i understand that you are not ever going to believe that Coz is the answer, and that is fine. He may not be the answer, only time will tell. how much time should a DC be given to prove that he knows what he is doing? that answer will always be debated.

Josh Bullocks was a free safety. I don't think teams are designing game plans to throw at OR away from the free safety. His defensive production went down because of the way he was positioned.

Okay, so the reason the D sucked was because Coz didn't have talent.... but I pointed out that when he did have talent the D sucked as well.... Oh.... that was because the players had a new coordinator.... but that standout talent had played very well the previous year under a new coordinator..... but that was only their second new coordinator..... so when you hit three, suddenly you get out of position, tackle poorly, don't intercept passes, give up RECORD amounts of passing yards and points? Forgive me, I didn't know three was the magic number.

I love how with Coz there is always an excuse for why he sucks. But with Shanle, who is only out there doing what he is coached to do, it is all his fault. SHANLE is the reason the defense sucked! SHANLE is the reason we could not pressure the quarterback! SHANLE is the reason we had second half meltdowns! SHANLE is the reason we had a team pinned at the half-foot line and proceeded to give up a 99-yard drive for a touchdown! SHANLE is the reason we had Kansas beaten badly and ended up having to hang on for a skin-of-the-ass win. Shanle is the reason our entire D looked like crap in the fourth quarter against OSU! Shanle is the reason the fake punt didn't work! So answer this question....When we can't blame it on the fact that the players had a new coordinator, and we can't blame it on Shanle (which by-the-way wasn't the problem last year...he didn't start in `05... and our defense looked like hell at times then too), who will get the blame then? Will it then be "Well he has all new starters our there now" or will it be "He needs time for the young guys to learn the system" or "He has a new D-line coach" ... what kind of excuses will you all be making for that fat piece of crap then?

I have had it with COZ! He is confused, he cannot design a defense, he doesn't know how to make adjustments, he can't recruit, according to all of you Shanle haters he has the wrong players in, he lets Emo tell him that there is nobody who can play nickel coverage, so he leaves linebackers in to cover wide receivers in third and long situations, he cannot design a decent blitz package to save his ass, and he and the other defensive coaches have admitted that it is THEY (the coaches) who have been teaching (or trying to teach) the players to strip the ball instead of just tackle (to try to improve the turnover ratio). He did well enough when he coached in the Big 10(11) at Wisconsin, but then again, all they expected of their teams up there was to finish in the top three or four of the conference every ten years or so. If that is all we expect of NU, then I guess Coz is okay here too.

I would just like a 20 point lead to stand up....just once in a while. All of you know that before Coz got to NU we felt pretty confident if we got up by 20. But anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, knows that this year no matter how big the first half lead we piled up, it was not safe. THAT SUCKS! And the fact that a 20-point lead is never safe at Nebraska anymore is unacceptable! I'm not saying we never blew a lead before, but under Coz we seem to blow leads all the time....hell, under Coz we seem to just BLOW!

Well yes It was directly shanles fault that the fake punt didnt work. Im not saying that we should have run it, but it would have been a first down and much more than that had he caught the ball. So yes it was his fault. I said I thought Pelini was a fantastic d-coordinator and I think he is much better than coz. That was the reason our d was so good in 03. So here is the deal, since we will never agree on shanle Ill say that if our defense is not drastically improved next year than I will agree with you that there need to be some changes on the coaching front. With that said I will never think that ALL or MOST of the defensive meltdowns were coz's fault this year. We will have to wait and see what he can do next year.