Punt Fake...

question #3

was Bullocks thrown at as much? i doubt it. if you were a DC would you throw his way or throw towards a different player?

question #4

maybe the defensive meltdowns were because the team got its 3 DC in 3 years and got tired of trying to learn yet another defensive scheme.

i understand that you are not ever going to believe that Coz is the answer, and that is fine. He may not be the answer, only time will tell. how much time should a DC be given to prove that he knows what he is doing? that answer will always be debated.

Josh Bullocks was a free safety. I don't think teams are designing game plans to throw at OR away from the free safety. His defensive production went down because of the way he was positioned.

Okay, so the reason the D sucked was because Coz didn't have talent.... but I pointed out that when he did have talent the D sucked as well.... Oh.... that was because the players had a new coordinator.... but that standout talent had played very well the previous year under a new coordinator..... but that was only their second new coordinator..... so when you hit three, suddenly you get out of position, tackle poorly, don't intercept passes, give up RECORD amounts of passing yards and points? Forgive me, I didn't know three was the magic number.

I love how with Coz there is always an excuse for why he sucks. But with Shanle, who is only out there doing what he is coached to do, it is all his fault. SHANLE is the reason the defense sucked! SHANLE is the reason we could not pressure the quarterback! SHANLE is the reason we had second half meltdowns! SHANLE is the reason we had a team pinned at the half-foot line and proceeded to give up a 99-yard drive for a touchdown! SHANLE is the reason we had Kansas beaten badly and ended up having to hang on for a skin-of-the-ass win. Shanle is the reason our entire D looked like crap in the fourth quarter against OSU! Shanle is the reason the fake punt didn't work! So answer this question....When we can't blame it on the fact that the players had a new coordinator, and we can't blame it on Shanle (which by-the-way wasn't the problem last year...he didn't start in `05... and our defense looked like hell at times then too), who will get the blame then? Will it then be "Well he has all new starters our there now" or will it be "He needs time for the young guys to learn the system" or "He has a new D-line coach" ... what kind of excuses will you all be making for that fat piece of crap then?

I have had it with COZ! He is confused, he cannot design a defense, he doesn't know how to make adjustments, he can't recruit, according to all of you Shanle haters he has the wrong players in, he lets Emo tell him that there is nobody who can play nickel coverage, so he leaves linebackers in to cover wide receivers in third and long situations, he cannot design a decent blitz package to save his ass, and he and the other defensive coaches have admitted that it is THEY (the coaches) who have been teaching (or trying to teach) the players to strip the ball instead of just tackle (to try to improve the turnover ratio). He did well enough when he coached in the Big 10(11) at Wisconsin, but then again, all they expected of their teams up there was to finish in the top three or four of the conference every ten years or so. If that is all we expect of NU, then I guess Coz is okay here too.

I would just like a 20 point lead to stand up....just once in a while. All of you know that before Coz got to NU we felt pretty confident if we got up by 20. But anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, knows that this year no matter how big the first half lead we piled up, it was not safe. THAT SUCKS! And the fact that a 20-point lead is never safe at Nebraska anymore is unacceptable! I'm not saying we never blew a lead before, but under Coz we seem to blow leads all the time....hell, under Coz we seem to just BLOW!

I hate to say it, but Coz might not be a total incompetent; the D really stepped up the last couple of games. I can't blame a loss to a team that only scored 17 points to the defense-- I just can't. Sure, once OU realized they could exploit our defensive backfield and drive 99.5 yards for a score, yeah, that hurt to watch. But, hey, that was only one TD! I'm not on the Coz wagon yet, but it sure seemed like he was either getting lucky or figuring something out. If the D ends up getting kicked around next year, I'll know which of those it was. Either way, the offense lost us our last two games, the D did exceptionally well (considering that OSU put 41 points on us).

he can't recruit
Don't know if I'd say that. He got some good kids this year.

I also find it hard to believe that any coach at the Div 1A level is as clueless as you say they are. It's frankly impossible. You'd have people believe that basically the guy has fooled every single former employer into giving him a job. That might work for the first few jobs, but if you really are a jackass I'd think that would get around pretty quick. As any coach will tell you, it's a pretty small fraternity.

he can't recruit
Don't know if I'd say that. He got some good kids this year.

I also find it hard to believe that any coach at the Div 1A level is as clueless as you say they are. It's frankly impossible. You'd have people believe that basically the guy has fooled every single former employer into giving him a job. That might work for the first few jobs, but if you really are a jackass I'd think that would get around pretty quick. As any coach will tell you, it's a pretty small fraternity.

Okay, I have to admit to engaging in hyperbole and sarcasm, but I didn’t think I had to explain my point each time I did that. But considering your reply I guess I have to, so here goes. Maybe Coz is competent enough to coach in D-1… at least at a second tier Big 10(11) team. But with the speed and talent in the Big XII, I don’t think he is good enough to coach NU into becoming a division contender. That is not an exaggeration. I think it has been very evident. He may be able to coach for a third tier Big XII team; hell that is what we are right now. We won the North, but the North was admittedly weak this season.

So here is the question, do we want to be a third tier Big XII team? Do we always want to be behind Oklahoma, Texas, and apparently OSU? In fact, if the North doesn’t stay as bad as they are right now, who’s to say we won’t drop behind Missouri and Kansas?

You say Coz can recruit? Then where are all of his great recruits? The point I have been arguing all along is that it is not all Shanle and Grixby’s fault, as some on these boards seem to suggest. So if Shanle and Grixby are SOOOO BAAAAD, then why aren’t Coz’s recruits in there taking their places. Coz has been a part of three recruiting classes now, so if he doesn’t have anybody better than Shanle and Grixby, and if they are as bad as everybody keeps saying they are, then I stand by my statement that he can’t recruit.

Since you cannot seem to understand the nuances of the average hyperbolic rantings of a sports fan, then I will spell it out in simple terms. Coz is a professional football coach. He is capable of coaching well enough to keep a middle-of-the-road program happy, but at Nebraska we all want to be in the top ten, play in BCS games, and compete for national championships. I don’t think Coz can do it. You know what the “Peter Principle” is don’t you? It says that “Everyone rises to their own level of incompetence.” At this point I think it is clear; Coz has risen to his own level of incompetence. I think he is out of his league, and I think that is why he can’t adjust and looks confused at times. He’s probably a nice guy, and I’m sure he has been a loyal friend to BC, and I am sure that is why he is still at NU. But he has only been here three seasons and I personally have no feelings of loyalty to him. I hate standing by and watching what he has done to our defense over the last three seasons. That is why I want him gone. I hate that guys like Tyrone Nix and Kevin Steele were apparently available, and we stuck with Coz. That is very frustrating.

No capp doesnt suck bc he has an accurate judgement, I think 951huskers sucks.

Husker1 I thought I was done with you. Now you feel compelled to comment about me. I never agreed with you but respected your argument, capp came in the thread with nothing insightful just saying "Shanle sucks". So I responded to him in a way he would understand. Now you want to jump in it. Why don't you worry about writing something someone can understand and speak to me when you're spoken to.

951huskers, is this your thread, the almighty god of football? Sorry I didnt know that everyone had to come through you. I would think that since youre such an expert you would be doing some coaching of your own, getting ready for the offseason, or something worth your time and not posting on a board that has zero effect on anything. As a matter of fact since you do think that shanle was good you obviously have zero brains anyway, as a result I dont want to talk to you anyway so keep you worthless opinions to yourself.