A 'Better' QB???

cmb23

His numbers may be comparable to those of other BCS qbs, but i wonder if this is possibly misleading. For one i can think of the Hawaii qb, and i'm guessing his numbers are comparable. only reason i know about Hawaii is b/c of the press he has gotten, makes me wonder how many other "comparable" numbers are out there.

Individual numbers never tell the whole story either. Just for example, Troy Smith was mostly successful b/c of what he did running the football in addition to his throwing. Quite a few of these guys may have sat a lot during the season as well, which would kinda skew things.

Sure pick a QB that had a record breaking NCAA season like Brennan did at Hawaii.

Ahhh the wonderful numbers debate. IMO there is more to it than numbers. Some of the QB's you mention are far supieror to Mr. Taylor. During the coarse of a season they are asked to throw many different throws than others. The true test is this. If Taylor was asked to make the same throws as Henne or Booty his numbers would not be close to the same, HE SIMPLY CANNOT MAKE THOSE THROWS. He had a great year but lets be honest, he simply is not a great QB. We are biased because he is a husker but he is not great. He probably wont get drafted and has probably taken his last snap as a football player.

Why are you such a Taylor hater? He served his purpose in the transition period of this program and kept it from going into the extended dark periods that Oklahoma, Alabama and others had to endure. Sure he isn't a Robo-QB but there aren't many of those out there.

Ahhh the wonderful numbers debate. IMO there is more to it than numbers. Some of the QB's you mention are far supieror to Mr. Taylor. During the coarse of a season they are asked to throw many different throws than others. The true test is this. If Taylor was asked to make the same throws as Henne or Booty his numbers would not be close to the same, HE SIMPLY CANNOT MAKE THOSE THROWS. He had a great year but lets be honest, he simply is not a great QB. We are biased because he is a husker but he is not great. He probably wont get drafted and has probably taken his last snap as a football player.

at the start of this post i thought numbers ya they dont mean squat then i read the rest whata buncha b.s!!! how many times this season did we see Zac throw a ball johnny on the spot an the reciever missed it how many times did Zac connect on a pass and the WR fumbled it? i can think of two that really lost the games for us. have you actually watched any of the games he may have had some bad games but he still made plays in those games i'd take Zac's mistaken, rushed, and F****d up passes neday over Joe Daileys! Zach should have a shot on a NFL roster numbers have a say in the draft or if u get a F.A. contract but how you preform at the combine has a lot to do with it too not just that how much heart and drive a player has helps, how many of the best college football players that get drafted high are bust's? tim couch, ryan leaf, chris weinke, cade mcnown, tommy maddux(1st time in nfl), akili smith, rick mirer, patrick ramsey, kyle boller, tim rattay, etc... if he was the starting QB at the teams playing in Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, or BCS title game he would still perform look at what the "1" draft pick in this years draft Brady Quinn did tonight he had a horrible game so i guess he doesnt have a shot at a NFL roster look at his michigan game too ur a weak excuse for a husker fan GO BIG RED!!!

His numbers may be comparable to those of other BCS qbs, but i wonder if this is possibly misleading. For one i can think of the Hawaii qb, and i'm guessing his numbers are comparable. only reason i know about Hawaii is b/c of the press he has gotten, makes me wonder how many other "comparable" numbers are out there.

Individual numbers never tell the whole story either. Just for example, Troy Smith was mostly successful b/c of what he did running the football in addition to his throwing. Quite a few of these guys may have sat a lot during the season as well, which would kinda skew things.

Sure pick a QB that had a record breaking NCAA season like Brennan did at Hawaii.

that was sort of my point. Being in a BCS isn't the gold standard for being a QB. That shows how good a team is, not how good the QB is/was.

Yes...all I said was that he was comparable, not the best. Winning the heisman is nice I'm sure, but I don't think it's a true reflection of the 'best' in the game. It's always the star (the player that the school has decided to promote) of one of the top 3 teams in the country. All of the Colt Brennans, Ian Johnsons, etc. always get a nice 'attaboy' and don't even get to go to the ceremony.

Yes numbers skew things. Brennan - huge numbers but no (at least according to polls and computers) competition whatsoever. Plus a completely different offense (I think they run a very spread - downfield game).

Troy Smith, few sacks, more rushing yards, fewer pics. By the way...have you seen his line play? Have you seen the catches that Ginn and Gonzales make for him? Then, when they have to drop 5-6 guys in coverage it makes it pretty easy for him to run for a first down.

Surround ZT the past 2 seasons with more talent and see how much 'better' he is.

So true and that's the point.

Here's another: we didn't have one of those QBs on our team. It's pretty much a moot point to argue how the QB on another team would have done if they were at Nebraska. You have to focus on our roster and Taylor is the man. Ganz and Davis aren't about to get it done. Adams went from darkhorse to being in the shadows on the D. Dailey hit the bricks as did Beck. Taylor laid the foundation and set the standard for the other WCO to reach and hopefully surpass down the road. I hope to see monster numbers out of Keller next season.

I don't think anyone gave credit to the coaching staff for his numbers. Sure it was Tayler on the field but he was getting the calls from the sidelines.

How is it when he throws interceptions and incompletions it is all Billy C's fault but when he puts up impressive numbers it is because he is a great qb?

I don't get it.

I don't think anyone gave credit to the coaching staff for his numbers. Sure it was Tayler on the field but he was getting the calls from the sidelines.

How is it when he throws interceptions and incompletions it is all Billy C's fault but when he puts up impressive numbers it is because he is a great qb?

I don't get it.

I don't think anyone here is saying that INT's are the coaches faults. Many are saying that untimely INT's and incompletions are why he isn't a good QB. I don't agree with that, 26/8 is pretty good. That's why I started this....that he is NOT a bad QB. Just like Nunn's fumble this year or LeKevin Smith's fumble last year are not the coaches fault...but it is a part of the game.

I think some people are taking this argument a little to personal as an attack on Taylor. We all know that he did a great job as a transition quarterback into the WCO. His 26/8 touchdown to int. ratio was awesome. But when we get right down to looking at his pure physical abilities, he just does not match up well with some of the other top college quarterbacks.

Nice post… but those numbers are misleading, do you have the stats for the USC,Texas (I’ll even give you the shovel pass to BJax for the td ),Oklahoma and Auburn games.

I don’t know if it’s his lack of athleticism or the play calling but he’s terrible in big games. He sits in the pocket holds the ball forever and takes sacks. I know those are some of the best defenses in the country but you can’t be non existent against the elite teams and then be compared to the top QB’s in the nation