Osborne says he would have coached another five years...

This just in. Frank Solich said he would have coached at NU another 23 years................

Let me just say I have way more interest in next years football season than I do in TO's woulda, coulda shoulda or in whether or not Stevie P is sleezy or any number of adjectives that have been and will continue to be attached to his name. I'm too old to live in the past. I need to spend my time living today rather than living under TO or Frank or whoever. TO was a great coach and I'd prefer to remember him as that rather than a guy who says he woulda, coulda or shoulda. While I miss the option game I find great pleasure in seeing something new every Saturday. Bill Callahan is our coach, we don't get to decide who the coach is so if we don't like it we can either sit around the coffee shop complaining about what was or we can anxiously await the next chapter of what is. I for one am anxiously looking forward to next season. It may not be great, it may not be a national title but it sure will be fun. Hoorah Billy C. show us what you can do.

Coyeote, thanks for the post-I agree with your sentiments. As I said in a post earlier in this thread I think Osborne realizes the shadow he casts and is careful and sometimes keeps his distance to allow Coach Callahan (and when was coaching, Coach Solich) to put their own stamp on the program. The quotes I've seen and read from Osborne seem to be quite neutral (even when Solich was coaching) and the "commentary" provided by bloggers and media need to be separated from the words Coach Osborne actually uses. Anyone who has read "Faith in the Game" (pp. 145-146) should be able to appreciate why Coach Osborne is careful to no interject himself into NU athletics (especially football). If someone argues otherwise it seems to me they would be questioning Coach Osborne's truthfulness.

i've heard a rumor, and was hoping maybe some here could confirm/deny or straighten out what i've heard.

Supposedly, Byrne wanted to do a national search for a replacement. When TO got wind of this he threatened to "unretire" if Solich wasn't named HC. For some reasons, this would be a sort of egg on the face to Byrne and black eye for the university, so he relented to TO's wishes. However, Byrne didn't really trust Solich so as part of the deal he insisted that Solich keep the staff the way it was and really prevented FS from creating his own coaching staff.

Coach Osborne is careful to no interject himself into NU athletics (especially football)

TO has made remarks in the past about how he would've been willing to "mediate" the situation between SP and FS. Maybe he doesn't want to be too involved in NU athletics, but i also think that part of the reason is that no one from the athletic department has expressed interest in his help. If it were all up to him, i don't think he'd be completely hands off.

Im not, im just sick of it popping up at the top of my unreads list. If you guys wanna rehash a topic where no new information could possibly shed any more light on what happened, go ahead. Its your time to waste. The facts which are that TO did retire, we did hire Frank Solich, we did fire frank solich, and we did hire Bill Callahan, arent gonna change, so you might as well get used to it, or start building a time machine, your choice.

Im not, im just sick of it popping up at the top of my unreads list. If you guys wanna rehash a topic where no new information could possibly shed any more light on what happened, go ahead. Its your time to waste. The facts which are that TO did retire, we did hire Frank Solich, we did fire frank solich, and we did hire Bill Callahan, arent gonna change, so you might as well get used to it, or start building a time machine, your choice.

i think it's good to talk about history. it gives us a point of reference for judging the present, those who don't learn are doomed to repeat, etc. I'm guessing you'd probably even agree with this. But right now you seem to be emotional and tired about the subject. i can understand being that if you've talked this out several times before.

However, i'm neither of those things and am just asking a question of anyone knows. i was born and raised outside of NE and about the only way i can ever find out about this stuff is to ask around.

I don't care to hear every little thing about Anna Nichole Smith or the stupid Head On commercials so I don't pay attention to them. I guess we all respond to this question in a different way. After reading a posts on this theme here and on other boards I thought I'd try confuse people with some facts (Osborne's own words).

I was born and raised in NE (I live in Illinois now) and try to follow things as best I can. I find Huskerpedia.com to be a good place to visit. I like boards like this but take what i read hear with a grain of salt (more like a whole shaker of salt sometimes).

those are nice for some info, but i doubt they ever tackle something like this subject though. any comment from the organization would be more along the lines of StuckinChicago's. any comment from a writer would be a sentence or two of facts and a page of opinions... not much better than a message board imo. That's basically what blogs are anyway. i too take what i read with a grain of salt, unless i can find info to back it up. That's why i was asking.