Any high school football coaches?

HANC

I know that there are a few high school football coaches on this board..... just wanted to know if anyone wanted to talk "shop".... I am always looking for someone to bounce ideas, steal ideas from....

Hell, I don't mean to limit this to high school coaches, anyone who would like to talk strategy, philosophy, or game planning, please chime in...

I currently coach at a small school in SWI.....I have coached the 11 man game for 5 years, but 5 years ago, our entire conference/district went to the 8-man game.......Our school was against this, but due to travel reasons, we made the switch...

Just curious if anyone wanted a thread to throw ideas around on.....

Hey Blackshirt, you're darn right I'll talk football with you...thanks for the response.....

I gues that my offensive philosophy is a little conservative....I really to put ourselves in 2nd and long, so I have a tendency to run or throw "safe" (usually screen) passes on 1st down...2nd down really depends on the down and distance...We run the ball probably 75 % of the time...my be the facct that T.O. is my idol and "role model"...(no joke).....

Traditionally, our OL hasn't been the best, so play-action passes are what I live by.....I wish that I could utilize our backs in the passing game more,...other than screens

I like misdirection and traps....but with a OL that is questionable, this is common sense....

Defensively, I am really conservative.....Almost to a fault...Now, if a team is flat out going to push it down our throat, then I might as well blitz....but I just hate too blitz on every play, and unless the opponent is "predictable " through scouting, blitzing turns into a "guessing game"...... and man, do I hate it when I "guess" wrong and put our kids in a bad situation...

Usually " zone" cover 2..... which is another reason that I don't blitz a ton..

I am open to remarks, suggestions, how people would attack my team, etc...... Believe me, I don't and will not take anything "personal"...if that was the case, I wouldn't be asking to visit....

Hey Blackshirt, you're darn right I'll talk football with you...thanks for the response.....

I gues that my offensive philosophy is a little conservative....I really to put ourselves in 2nd and long, so I have a tendency to run or throw "safe" (usually screen) passes on 1st down...2nd down really depends on the down and distance...We run the ball probably 75 % of the time...my be the facct that T.O. is my idol and "role model"...(no joke).....

Traditionally, our OL hasn't been the best, so play-action passes are what I live by.....I wish that I could utilize our backs in the passing game more,...other than screens

I like misdirection and traps....but with a OL that is questionable, this is common sense....

Defensively, I am really conservative.....Almost to a fault...Now, if a team is flat out going to push it down our throat, then I might as well blitz....but I just hate too blitz on every play, and unless the opponent is "predictable " through scouting, blitzing turns into a "guessing game"...... and man, do I hate it when I "guess" wrong and put our kids in a bad situation...

Usually " zone" cover 2..... which is another reason that I don't blitz a ton..

I am open to remarks, suggestions, how people would attack my team, etc...... Believe me, I don't and will not take anything "personal"...if that was the case, I wouldn't be asking to visit....

Let's focus on one part of the game. What first? I can help out a little.

Thanks for the replies....... Defense..... I agree that I need to be more "aggressive" on the defensive side of the ball..... my problem is that in the damn "8-man" game, if you miss on a blitz, the play turns into a track meet.... I would like to find a way to "disquise" the blitz... Almost like the Steelers "zone blitz".... McBride took this from the Steelers and showed it for the 1st time vs Florida in the Feista Bowl and Wueffle had no clue..

Right now, our blitzes are very basic, straight forward through gaps..... pretty easy to pick up, unless we just "outman" our opponent...We are hoping to out-number the pass protectors and if it is a "run-blitz", hope we guess right..

As I stated earlier, blitzes in 8-man usually mean man coverage, unless we could drop a DE.....possibility..

Here is a question.... My QB is 6-3, 225......great athlete and very smart.....foot-speed is his only downfall... Typically, I try to avoid our QB playing Defense, but this year, I will have a capable backup, and this kid needs to be on the field...

I have to decided to let him play S..... and roam in the secondary, taking heads off on tackles, away from the congestion, thus hopefully reducing the chance on injury..... OR..... putting him a LB and letting him be a force closer to the LOS..... He will do a good job either place... He is "injury-prone" and not the toughest kid in the world, but loves the idea of LB....

S or LB ???

Right now, I am leaning toward Safety.... Not going to be able to cover M-M , but will absolutely hit !!!!

Problem is, I will have to play M-M with OLB/CB or zone, which limits the amount of blitzes we call, thus, not making our defense anymore aggressive.....but, I tend to live conservatively anyway.

Probably somewhere in the area of 4.8 ..... he is a State discus thrower, all-SWI baseball player, and an all-SWI basketball player....probably going to UNO to play baseball/basketball....speed is just not an asset.

Smart, runs hard, throws the ball very well, strong, and is natural leader....just need him a step quicker to be a complete stud on the football field...

Another topic.....We have really seem to struggle with our pass protection over the years... Now, we have had a good run as far as our 10 year win/loss record is concerned, so we have a decent program...but pass blocking has struggled..... I was watching some NFL film, and saw that the Colts use a "stretch pass blocking" scheme.....where the O-line actually pursues down the line 2-3 steps, QB rolls, and then O-line sets up to pass block....great scheme.....really hinders LB and DB who are trying to read the blocking scheme...

Of course, this is the Super Bowl Champs...... Is a scheme like this too difficult to pull into a small high school football team or not..... I am really thinking about this...any opinions.

Probably somewhere in the area of 4.8 ..... he is a State discus thrower, all-SWI baseball player, and an all-SWI basketball player....probably going to UNO to play baseball/basketball....speed is just not an asset.

Smart, runs hard, throws the ball very well, strong, and is natural leader....just need him a step quicker to be a complete stud on the football field...

Another topic.....We have really seem to struggle with our pass protection over the years... Now, we have had a good run as far as our 10 year win/loss record is concerned, so we have a decent program...but pass blocking has struggled..... I was watching some NFL film, and saw that the Colts use a "stretch pass blocking" scheme.....where the O-line actually pursues down the line 2-3 steps, QB rolls, and then O-line sets up to pass block....great scheme.....really hinders LB and DB who are trying to read the blocking scheme...

Of course, this is the Super Bowl Champs...... Is a scheme like this too difficult to pull into a small high school football team or not..... I am really thinking about this...any opinions.

Do you have a WR or Rb who's an athlete?

We lost our top WR to graduation....he is going to Simpson College to play..... We will be breaking in a young group of WR...

I do believe that we have one of the better IB in the area....not big, but very quick (4.5) for a small school and sees the field extrememly well..... he led us in rushing this year, and will be a senior next season...

Because we are going to be replacing so many starters, inlcuding all but one on the LOS, I am thinking about moving our FB (6'0 235) to the LOS.....leaving another young, small, quick RB to take his place..

Instead of running the traditional I- formation, I am considering running a version of West Virginia offense...

Our QB is a big, hard runner..... our IB is a very good "scat-back"....thinking about going shot-gun 1 back with our other young Rb as a Wing...... trying to run read options, shovel passes, powers, draws, etc. with one back and strong QB..

This is a complete change of the system in place, but we may have to change to fit personnel....Good or bad idea ????

I am "teetering" back and forth...