DT Ndamukong Suh

here is the complete article from BRR

This story originally published on TheInsidersRecruiting.com

Ndamukong Suh (Glenn Nelson/Scout.com)

Ndamukong Suh (Glenn Nelson/Scout.com)

Suh commits to Nebraska

By Chris Fetters Northwest Recruiting Analyst

Date: Jan 20, 2005

Ndamukong Suh, a 6-5, 290-pound defensive tackle from Portland (Ore.) Grant announced at a press conference Thursday morning that he will be attending the University of Nebraska. He chose the Cornhuskers over offers from a number of schools, but most notably California, Oregon State, Mississippi State and Miami.

The Cornhuskers were in the top-10 in the Scout.com team recruiting rankings, and picking up the #6 defensive tackle - a true five-star prospect - will not do anything to diminish their standing.

The first time we spoke to Suh, at an Air Attack camp in Eugene, Oregon, the Cornhuskers were on his mind. "I've always kind of liked them," Suh told Scout.com in an exclusive interview Wednesday night. "I just realized that they were the best fit for me."

'Damo' already talked with the Nebraska coaches Wednesday about his decision. He will start out on defense for the Cornhuskers. "It's been rewarding and a little difficult, but I just want to thank God for having the opportunity to do this," he said of the recruiting process. "That's the main thing."

Suh was a U.S. Army All-American, and was expected to announce his college intentions during the game, but decided he needed a little more time. He didn't need much more, as the decision to attend Nebraska was reached the night after the game "I have no regrets about that," he said, when asked about his decision not to tell the world this past Saturday.

Future teammates Phillip Dillard, Leon Jackson and Marlon Lucky played alongside Suh for the winning West team. "I talked to them, but I don't think it really had any impact on my decision," Ndamukong said. "I think it was more for just finding out what school might be the best fit for me competition-wise."

Suh was named the 2004 PIL Defensive Player of the Year, as well as first-team all-league on offense and defense, finishing with 65 tackles, ten sacks and four fumble recoveries (one for TD) as a senior. As a junior, he was Class 4A All-State Offense honorable mention, as well as a first-team all-PIL pick on both offense and defense. Damo is known for his incredible athleticism for his size, as he can dunk a basketball from a standing start.

"It seems like I am pretty quick when you see me play the other offensive lineman in my league," Suh said earlier when asked to describe his game. "When we got to the playoffs it was the same. It must be my quickness and my size."

:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:cheers:smokin

Well if I had to choose. I will take my chances with a kid like this. He has awesome ability and great character. David Horne probobly is at Wally world. He also got himself into trouble with the law. Time will tell. I think that we have got a great one here. Once again this coaching staff has brought home the bacon. :clap:clap

Whether or not Suh turns out to be a player (and from all indications, he will), it is important to note that Nebraska Football is in the minds of recruits all over the country. Suh is from Oregon. Lucky is from SoCal. Leon Jackson is from Washington. Boeteng considered us for a long time before going to FLA, but he was from Jersey. We've taken Roark, Dillard, and possibly Reggie Smith from OK. There's no question that Husker football is on the rise.

This is a big day. It shows we are as competitive as any school in the nation in the recruiting game, and that we can get involved with just about any recruit in the nation.

I read yesterday on SI.com about the troubles that Carroll and Saban had their first year of recruiting. But once they got established, they went off. I think we are seeing the same thing with Callahan and Co. We are becoming a major force again in the recruiting scene. And that is a very good thing!!!

:horns2:horns2:horns2

Don't want to rain on the parade, but if you go to www.collegefootballnews.com you can see all the recruiting busts from 2001. I won't have a drink in his honor until he destroys someone from K-state. :horns2

Great point, most of these guys have never made an impact.

I also checked out the 2005 predicted top teams, and NU is rated 45.

Oh how far the mighty have fallen (thanks bill!)

Really good Suh article from Tacoma Paper. Gives a short list of the top six Northwest recruits. and Nebraska has two of them.

Great article

2005 Northwest Nuggets

Anthony Felder LB 6-3, 225 O'Dea

Committed to: California

J.R. Hasty RB 5-11, 200 Bellevue

Committed to: Undecided

Leon Jackson ATH 6-3, 200 Pasco

Committed to: Nebraska

E.J. Savannah LB 6-2, 215 Bellevue

Committed to: Undecided

Jonathan Stewart RB 5-10, 225 Timberline

Committed to: Oregon