DT Ndamukong Suh

Just like the Yankees with Mariano, we're sending in our closer! Gotta feel good about that.

You could be right Blake may be very good a recruiting the kids, but (here comes the rain) if you have to send your D-line coach to be your closer, what does that say about the HC??

TO, Bowden, Paterno, Switzer, etc. were the "closers" not one of their assistants.

Just like the Yankees with Mariano, we're sending in our closer!  Gotta feel good about that.

You could be right Blake may be very good a recruiting the kids, but (here comes the rain) if you have to send your D-line coach to be your closer, what does that say about the HC??

TO, Bowden, Paterno, Switzer, etc. were the "closers" not one of their assistants.

Well, it says that the head coach is smart enough to send his best recruiter in to try and land the recruit.

Ultimately, what matters is whether you get the recruits you want. Whether your closer is the head coach or an assistant is irrelevant in the end - it's whether the team got the guy they were after.

Just like the Yankees with Mariano, we're sending in our closer!  Gotta feel good about that.

Last time I checked Kevin Steele brought Tommie Frazier to NU.

Not to mention that Blake would be Suh's position coach if he attended here. I think using your resources is pretty smart. If the kid likes Blake and has a bond with him, then who better to close the deal? Oh, and Switzer wasn't a closer. He didn't meet with Turner Gill because he thought he had him sowed up and Osborne met with Gill and lured him away from the Sooners(courtesy of the 3 part Husker Century series).

What about Ed Orgeron (sp?) ??? He's the coach at Ole Miss now, but he was recruiter of the year last year, and was considered the main reason why USC got so many blue chippers over the last couple of years.

I'm glad Blake is visiting Suh. It's got to help, along with the fact that Suh played in between Picou and Roark the entire game on Saturday...

I think Suh is coming to Lincoln. :thumbs

1. Well, it says that the head coach is smart enough to send his best recruiter in to try and land the recruit.

2. Ultimately, what matters is whether you get the recruits you want. Whether your closer is the head coach or an assistant is irrelevant in the end - it's whether the team got the guy they were after.

1. Agreed, good point.

2. Disagree. He is supposed to be the leader, the CEO, the face of the program, the man calling the shots. Should the CEO of a major corporation send in a shift manager to close the deals for him? No, and the head coach should be the person that closes the deal on a recruit, IMO.

I actually know for a fact he's commiting to NU, my brother goes to school with him and he will announce WED or THUR.

Welcome to the board OregonHUSKER, and thanks for the nsight. If you hear anything further in regards to the timing of his announcement, please let us know.

Last time I checked Kevin Steele brought Tommie Frazier to NU.

Sure, Steele was the one who was recruiting the area and should get alot of credit for getting Frazier. But again, it was TO who sealed the deal, told Tommie that he was his guy. Dont you ever listen to these kids when they talk about the larger-than-life, living legends sitting in their living rooms, and how much in awe they are?

Obviously it is important that your assistants are good recruiters so that they can start relationships with these kids (it seems like that is one thing that Blake is good at).

But your HC has to be the closer, if not, then why was FS fired? If its not that important that the HC is the closer, then the "lack of recruiting prowess" that he supposedly got fired for wasnt his fault, right? You cant have it both ways, either its the responsibility of the HC, or its not.

IMO, the two problems with recruiting under FS were that his assistants wouldnt go on the road (and that problem was rectified, even if it was a little too late) and that FS didnt have that larger-than-life, legend status that TO, Bowden, Paterno had.

Not to mention that Blake would be Suh's position coach if he attended here. I think using your resources is pretty smart. If the kid likes Blake and has a bond with him, then who better to close the deal? Oh, and Switzer wasn't a closer. He didn't meet with Turner Gill because he thought he had him sowed up and Osborne met with Gill and lured him away from the Sooners(courtesy of the 3 part Husker Century series).

I would say that Switzer closed on quite a few quality recruits in his time, and obviously, Turner was the exception (which makes me pretty happy).

I certainly think that using your resources and getting a kid to bond w/ his possible position coach, but again the HC calls the shots, he HAS to be the one who can close the deal.

Did these guys close the deals on big time recruits their 1st and 2nd years on the job? These guys are larger than life because they were or still are many, many years into their jobs with a great deal of success. But do you think TO was larger than life when he stepped into a recruit's home in 1975? Probably not. And how about Paterno the first time he went out recruiting in 1890?

I'm sure if BC is here for a few years and has early success like Pete Carroll or Stoops, he'll be the main man as well. Right now kids love Blake and he's easily the top recruiter on the staff, so when I hear he's going to visit a kid it makes me feel pretty good for NU.