Callahan gets a little upset

Just before signing day as you all know the stud from San Antonio .Travis Lewis switched commits and went with us.

I heard an interview with him on signing day on a station WWLS out of Okie City. The interviewers were asking why and all the football related questions that one usually hears from such.

Travis shed some light on how difficult it was to call coach Callahan. He said he tried 3 times but hung up the phone, he was "so scared", he said, but he knew he had to do it. When he got Callahan on the phone Bill said, Son, this won't do, I will not have it this way. Travis said the conversation got a little uncomfortable and they ended the call on a little bit of a sour note.

Then the next day Callahan called his Mother and starts to get a little pissy with her! He didn't say if he was going to slash any throats but Travis knew after that exchange he made the right decision for him.

The only reason I'm posting this to you all is after he swiched I saw a lot of complaing and upset people, which I understand, but I remember a certain O lineman that was a commit of ours for six months or so and then he switched to NU, I think he never played though, he had a blood clot problem. He was from South Dakota.

Hey, ya win some and ya lose some when you deal with 17 year olds.

Just before signing day as you all know the stud from San Antonio .Travis Lewis switched commits and went with us.

I heard an interview with him on signing day on a station WWLS out of Okie City. The interviewers were asking why and all the football related questions that one usually hears from such.

Travis shed some light on how difficult it was to call coach Callahan. He said he tried 3 times but hung up the phone, he was "so scared", he said, but he knew he had to do it. When he got Callahan on the phone Bill said, Son, this won't do, I will not have it this way. Travis said the conversation got a little uncomfortable and they ended the call on a little bit of a sour note.

Then the next day Callahan called his Mother and starts to get a little pissy with her! He didn't say if he was going to slash any throats but Travis knew after that exchange he made the right decision for him.

The only reason I'm posting this to you all is after he swiched I saw a lot of complaing and upset people, which I understand, but I remember a certain O lineman that was a commit of ours for six months or so and then he switched to NU, I think he never played though, he had a blood clot problem. He was from South Dakota.

Hey, ya win some and ya lose some when you deal with 17 year olds.

I also remember a OL out of Oklahoma that committed to us. Half of the state of Oklahoma was placed on suicide watch that day. He turned out allright for us! Went on to play for the Chiefs and has been in 12 straight pro bowls! Hmmm what was his name again? :nutz

Callahans character.

I also remember a OL out of Oklahoma that committed to us. Half of the state of Oklahoma was placed on suicide watch that day. He turned out allright for us! Went on to play for the Chiefs and has been in 12 straight pro bowls! Hmmm what was his name again?

We were lucky to get Shields. Had Switzer still been around, he'd a been a Sooner. They were going through rough times there which got us over the hump. That was the reason he fled.

All coaches get upset when they lose a commit that close to signing day. Former Iowa State coach Dan McCarney stated that in an interview on 1620 the day Lewis backed out. While he said he wasn't familiar with Nebraska's situation he had dealt with it on his own and he said it is frustrating to lose someone after spending so much time on them and then they back out.

Why does a Sooner bring this to a Husker board? This was brought up NUMEROUS times.

In all honesty, I can't blame Callahan for getting mad. Lewis said himself he knew his decision for a month before he decided to make it known to the coaches. He did so when the coaches could not recruit anyone else, and he did it because he was scared of the backlash he would get from the media and fans.

Lewis needs to wise up, be a man about the first real life decision he had to make. Instead, he took the easy way out then points fingers afterwards.

Classy, real classy Travis.

All coaches get upset when they lose a commit that close to signing day. Former Iowa State coach Dan McCarney stated that in an interview on 1620 the day Lewis backed out. While he said he wasn't familiar with Nebraska's situation he had dealt with it on his own and he said it is frustrating to lose someone after spending so much time on them and then they back out.

Yes that is true, but you don't call their mother and get her upset!!

I don't think Osborne would do that.

Maybe Stoops got him a good "off season" job lined up! :nanalama

Callahans character.

I also remember a OL out of Oklahoma that committed to us. Half of the state of Oklahoma was placed on suicide watch that day. He turned out allright for us! Went on to play for the Chiefs and has been in 12 straight pro bowls! Hmmm what was his name again?

We were lucky to get Shields. Had Switzer still been around, he'd a been a Sooner. They were going through rough times there which got us over the hump. That was the reason he fled.

Yeah good ole Switzer! :lol:

Switzerousi.jpg

It was Stoops who blew the whistle!,

It was Stoops who blew the whistle!,

Hell, I would too once the story was broke on an Aggie message board! Seems Stoops isn't out of the woods over it just yet either!

Oklahoma Could Be In More Trouble Following NCAA Report

February 13, 2007 11:36 a.m. EST

Marc Pruitt - All Headline News Sports Reporter

Norman, OK (AHN) - A third player was named in the NCAA report that details the investigation into the employment scandal that caused quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn to transfer from the University of Oklahoma football program at the beginning of last season.

The player was not identified in the report.

Oklahoma's administrators received notice Monday that they will need to appear at a hearing on Apr. 14 in Indianapolis before the NCAA's committee on infractions.

Head football coach Bob Stoops, Athletic Director Joe Castiglione and various members of the athletic department have been asked to attend.

The players involved received excess pay for their work at a local car dealership and Bomar and Quinn have already been ordered to pay restitution.

Oklahoma reported the infraction to the NCAA last August, but only specifically mentioned Bomar and Quinn while referencing a third player whom they claimed received no excess benefits.

"All other student-athletes were paid for the number of hours worked," according to report they originally submitted.

Stoops has acknowledged that his players knowingly broke the rules that govern the employment of student-athletes.

Oklahoma claims the players were not monitored accordingly because they failed to submit the proper paperwork, and also claims to have been re-assigning different responsibilities to track such records.

The NCAA disagreed, feeling that the problem occurred despite Oklahoma knowing the third player was employed with the car dealership.

"I think any school would agree that monitoring practices can always be improved, and we constantly seek to improve our practices," Castiglione said in a statement. "But we also recognize that it was our staff that originally uncovered and reported the violations that had occurred. Upon completing our investigation, the university took action above and beyond what was required under NCAA rules."

Bomar and Quinn were both kicked off the team following the revelations and have since transferred.

The school has forbidden student-athletes from working at the dealership any longer.

Oklahoma is also under NCAA investigation for alleged infractions involving their basketball program. Former head coach Kelvin Sampson and his staff are under investigation for making illegal phone calls to recruits during the coach's time in Norman.

Can't say that I blame Callahan for getting pissed off. Travis inserted the shoe into his own mouth when he so boldly said that he was done after he made his initial decision, then chose to back out of it. 17 year old kids can't decide what they want for lunch let alone where they want to go to college.

Callahans character.

Switzerousi.jpg

I'm sorry I don't have a photo of Lawrance Phillips beating the crap out of his girlfriend and then dragging her by her hair down the stairs. maybe you can find it at the Lincoln PD. archives.

Can't say that I blame Callahan for getting pissed off. Travis inserted the shoe into his own mouth when he so boldly said that he was done after he made his initial decision, then chose to back out of it. 17 year old kids can't decide what they want for lunch let alone where they want to go to college.

It's water under the bridge in my opinion!

Callahans character.

Switzerousi.jpg

I'm sorry I don't have a photo of Lawrance Phillips beating the crap out of his girlfriend and then dragging her by her hair down the stairs. maybe you can find it at the Lincoln PD. archives.

Hey there "mobilehoma"fan.....I bet I can find 20 stories of Sooner players in trouble over the years. Try again junior!

Callahans character.

Switzerousi.jpg

Oh, lets not go here. I love the days of TO but can't stand the fact that BS owned him.