2007 Depth Chart

Its obvious this kid can hit, however he can hit on the high school level. Its also obvious that he comes in WAY to high when trying to deliver a blow and in college he could get hurt tackling the way he does. He does have good speed for a linebacker and obviously loves contact, I am really looking forward to what this kid can do. It is also going to be interesting where they put all the players. Where will Culbert, Helu, Washington, Hagg and Prince all end up? There are so many mix and match type packages that they could have.

Don't agree with Grixby being #2 behind Murillo with Murillo never having played a snap of D-1 football. When was the fullback eliminated? Don't agree with Peterson being listed lower on the depth chart than guys that have never played. Witt is not going to be ahead of Beau Davis on the depth chart. Not sure about Brandon Johnson starting over Steinkuhler either.

Agreed.

The beast is going to have to step up if he wants that #1 spot. The guy hasn't really proven yet that he can play here.

Example: Keller was probally not the scout team quarterback when we played Nicholls State last year, they probally used someone with pretty good speed to give the defense a true example of what to expect.

Kinda funny, I actually recall a snipet from a story that week about Keller on the scout team. If I remember right, they started out with him at QB. After he pitched the ball like 3 seconds early everytime, someone made a joke and asked him if he'd ever run an option play, to which he answered no (i think). Ended up being pretty fun for the guys on the scout team.

I know that the head coach of the New Mexico Military Institute has seen him play and said he's got as much talent as any corner he's seen.

Do you know any corners that have gone through the New Mexico Military Institute?

Not personally. I do know that Zac Bowman played there and that this coach supposedly thinks Murillo is as good. Still wasn't enough for Bowman to start over a corner that was converted from running back in less than 7 games. What makes you think Murillo will immediately take over for a 3 year starter?

"What makes you think Murillo will immediately take over for a 3 year starter?"

Spring ball

Because this has already happened. :sarcasm I'll ask once again; what makes you think Murillo will immediately take over for a 3 year starter, having never seen this guy play against Division I competition or seeing how he stacks up against the players that are already here? Thanks

If you are making a prediction, then fine. I predict Murillo won't start immediately.

Spring ball will give Armando a huge advantage for the fall. I guess I don't think he'll start for the opener against Nevada, but he'll be on the field more than Grixby against SC and that's really when we find out who our #1s are. I think he'll dethrone Grixby, a 3 year starter, because he's a better CB. He may take a few weeks to get up to speed, this is where spring ball is huge, but he'll be our guy by the SC game. Like I said above, that's a fact. In reality I am actually Coach Billy C.

I get frustrated when I hear that Grixby sucks. This is simply not true. Grixby getting picked on is a result of bad matchups. Grixby simply cannot matchup with the likes of Dwayne Jarrett, Todd Blythe, Limas Sweed, Adarius Bowman and Malcolm Kelly. All of these WRs are 6-4 200+ lbs. Whereas Grixby is a 5-8+ 170 lbs. he gets poor matchups. If Grixby covers the smaller receiver he'll be solid. This is why I have pegged him to be my nickel corner. I think he'll be on those smaller slot receivers like white on rice.

The problem with that is that most receivers today are recruited tall. How do you distinguish when to put him in, when the other team has short receivers?

Murillo will be in as said. Maybe not opening day starter, but IMO will be soon after. As soon as he feels comfortable. Over all I think that our secondary will be strong. I just wish that we could get Asante and Thenarse on the feild at the same time. Tierre Green always seemed out of position last year. No offense to him. He has been moved a lot.

Spring ball will give Armando a huge advantage for the fall. I guess I don't think he'll start for the opener against Nevada, but he'll be on the field more than Grixby against SC and that's really when we find out who our #1s are. I think he'll dethrone Grixby, a 3 year starter, because he's a better CB. He may take a few weeks to get up to speed, this is where spring ball is huge, but he'll be our guy by the SC game. Like I said above, that's a fact. In reality I am actually Coach Billy C.

I guess I can't emphasize how much I disagree till I see the kid actually do something. Billy C huh? Wow... :rickjames

Ok so when is practice tom.? Also I dont think Green is that bad, he showed some hitting ability and obviously has very good speed. I think with the departure of Shanle that alone will make our secondary twice as good as last year. However I agree I wish that we could get Thenarse on the field at the same time as Asante. I sure hope they are putting him there just to give us some depth behind Asante this year with the number of solid corners we have this year, bc if he doesnt get moved back to corner in 08 that would more than likely give us starters of Murillo and Young. I would much rather have Thenarse and Murillo at the corners and Asante and Culbert at the safetys. That would be ideal to me but I'll take the coaches word for it.