McKeon assesses Ganz, Keller

McKeon assesses Ganz, Keller

Through eight spring practices, Nebraska middle linebacker Corey McKeon has gotten a good feel for the Huskers’ top two quarterbacks, Sam Keller and Joe Ganz.

McKeon, a senior, provided a somewhat revealing analysis Monday of the QB competition to this point.

"Joe's a great quarterback because he has a lot of athletic ability and can make plays on his own and he knows the offense very well," McKeon said after practice. "Everyone's like, ‘Well, Sam’s this competitor.’

"The gist of it is, they are two different styles of quarterback. Joe's a product of the system. He goes through his progressions (to find the open receiver)."

Meanwhile, Keller "knows how to attack people," McKeon said. "He's got that experience. He's looking for Maurice Purify every play. If you look over and see Cortney Grixby guarding Maurice Purify, Sam knows where to put the ball to get a big play.

"Sam knows how to attack people. He knows if he's going to run a three-step quick slant to look for Terrence Nunn or Nate Swift -- guys who can beat people with speed. He knows how to use his weapons.

"That's something Joe has not been able to do yet because he's not been on the field (in games) as much (as Keller)."

In the final analysis, "It's hard to choose, because you have a guy who knows how to take advantage of a defense, but also a guy who knows how to read a defense."

I honestly don't know if I can handle another season of watching our DB's get owned by any receiver over 6'1". Hopefully the D-Line comes with the thunder so Grixby and Jones have an opportunity to get themselves in position to make a play because, I really don't think they have the ability to cover 1 on 1 with an un-pressured QB throwing at them. I'm having visions of D. Jarrett clowning Andre Jones all game last year in Southern Cal........I can't do another season of that.

I honestly don't know if I can handle another season of watching our DB's get owned by any receiver over 6'1". Hopefully the D-Line comes with the thunder so Grixby and Jones have an opportunity to get themselves in position to make a play because, I really don't think they have the ability to cover 1 on 1 with an un-pressured QB throwing at them. I'm having visions of D. Jarrett clowning Andre Jones all game last year in Southern Cal........I can't do another season of that.

I agree with you 100%

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised at how much our corners "improve" this season. What actually is going to happen is our safety play is going to be much, MUCH improved over last season and in turn is going to make our corners look better. Secondly, there is NO WAY Jones/Grix will be worse, may not be better (although I'm willing to bet both are) but they certinaly (barring injury) are not going to be worse.

Mark my words, improved safety play is going to magically make our corners look much improved.

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised at how much our corners "improve" this season. What actually is going to happen is our safety play is going to be much, MUCH improved over last season and in turn is going to make our corners look better. Secondly, there is NO WAY Jones/Grix will be worse, may not be better (although I'm willing to bet both are) but they certinaly (barring injury) are not going to be worse.

Mark my words, improved safety play is going to magically make our corners look much improved.

I agree with you, the safety play is going to make a world of difference. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We can all hope that Asante and Thenarse are going to heal all wounds, but I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. I'm excited about Asante, he's got a lot of publicity coming out of the JUCO ranks, but let's remember that Adam Jones did as well, and he didnt live up to the hype (although I see him improving by leaps and bounds next season). As far as Thenarse goes, I'd like to see him working in at both spots, juuuuust in case.