defensive staff

Sir, you are absolutely correct, I HATE this offense...

Not easing into the WCO is just plain stupid. How's it going to work when your best reciever is your tight end. You work into it when you're able to recruit reciever that are up to the task.

Not saying that our guys aren't up to the task, but you see my point...

Not easing into the WCO is just plain stupid. How's it going to work when your best reciever is your tight end. You work into it when you're able to recruit reciever that are up to the task.

I'll be honest, I don't see us ever getting much better wr's then we got now. I don't think texas tech's wr's are any better than ours. Just better play calling and better qb. I like leflore,pilk,herian,etc.

I do agree to hate the offense. Not for me.

Not for me.

Good thing too. It's not for you, it's for the players and the coaches. :)

Good job of being a smart ass! The fans are just as big a part of this team as anything else. To bad Pederson and Callahan don't think us fans know anything and can say things like our offense is going to explode against ttech when all us fans know it's nowhere near close to exploding.

Not for me.

Good thing too. It's not for you, it's for the players and the coaches. :)

Good job of being a smart ass! The fans are just as big a part of this team as anything else. To bad Pederson and Callahan don't think us fans know anything and can say things like our offense is going to explode against ttech when all us fans know it's nowhere near close to exploding.

Everyone's a coach. Everyone know's what's best. Everyone thinks the people in charge are idiots. It's not isolated to NU football. That kinda crap is everywhere.

I think that fans are a big part of the program, but there seems to be some disagreement on where they fit. Some people think they should have a say in how the program is run which is assinine IMO. Others are fans because, well they like watching their team play football which is really what is boils down to. That's it.

How do you entice the recruits that fit a West Coast offense if you don't demonstrate that you're committed to it?

Given how long NU ran the option and power football, a receiver, for example, would have good reason to doubt he'd get many touches if he looked at the offense and saw anything less than a full committment to it.

Ok, it's easy to be an armchair coach, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that this offense has "sh*t the bed".

We don't have the talent to facilitate the WCO, bottom line. Joe Dailey's not the guy to run the show, not to be sounding like a killjoy.

Such a radical change in offense is something that should be done over time, not just boom, here's our offense, now go...

This change has implications that is going to come up and bite us in the ass, and that could pull down our program to the level of Duke. And i'm not talking about the basketball team...

Ok, it's easy to be an armchair coach, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that this offense has "sh*t the bed".

We don't have the talent to facilitate the WCO, bottom line. Joe Dailey's not the guy to run the show, not to be sounding like a killjoy.

Such a radical change in offense is something that should be done over time, not just boom, here's our offense, now go...

This change has implications that is going to come up and bite us in the ass, and that could pull down our program to the level of Duke. And i'm not talking about the basketball team...

Stick in the mud,

Such doom and gloom! We will see how that all turns out, but I tend to agree with AR on how to make a radical change on the offense. I don't know about you, but I always just jump in the pool instead of sneaking in. ;)

Originally posted by walksalone:

Why not give the kid a real chance? For all intents and purposes, he’s little more than a freshman. His first year he hardly hit the field. That gave him a little more experience than incoming freshman, but not experience in the West Coast. Then, he gets a single spring to try and not only master new terminology and tons of new plays, but to master the mechanics associated with the new offense.

On the one hand, you’re willing to give up on Dailey because he hasn’t mastered the new offense. On the other, you claim it’s so radical that it should be slowly implemented. Can’t have it both ways.

Again, if you don't show a full commitment to the offense, how do you ever recruit athletes suited to that offense so that you can fully implement it? Catch-22. You either have to stay with what you had, or buy in all the way. Since we won't be staying with what we had, we need to make the commitment to show recruits that the offense we'll run suits their skills.

For a time, there is no doubt that we’re going to suffer growing pains. It will most likely be a couple more years before we really see the offense clicking – it needs the recruits designed to run the system, and it needs time for those recruits to develop. At this point, though, it’s far too early to declare it a failure.

Why not give the kid a real chance? For all intents and purposes, he’s little more than a freshman. His first year he hardly hit the field. That gave him a little more experience than incoming freshman, but not experience in the West Coast. Then, he gets a single spring to try and not only master new terminology and tons of new plays, but to master the mechanics associated with the new offense.

On the one hand, you’re willing to give up on Dailey because he hasn’t mastered the new offense. On the other, you claim it’s so radical that it should be slowly implemented. Can’t have it both ways.

Again, if you don't show a full commitment to the offense, how do you ever recruit athletes suited to that offense so that you can fully implement it? Catch-22. You either have to stay with what you had, or buy in all the way. Since we won't be staying with what we had, we need to make the commitment to show recruits that the offense we'll run suits their skills.

For a time, there is no doubt that we’re going to suffer growing pains. It will most likely be a couple more years before we really see the offense clicking – it needs the recruits designed to run the system, and it needs time for those recruits to develop. At this point, though, it’s far too early to declare it a failure.

:worship

So were going to have to wait a good 6 more years before we are any good? It's going to take 3 more years to get all of these players out of here that aren't for this system. Then it will take a good couple years for everyone to get the system down and to develop and by that time they will be graduated.

I think it won't be until Callahan's first recruiting class hits its junior year that we will be close to having the offense down and players that are "built" for it ready to play.

Until then, I would think we'll be inconsistent. While the contrary happens, it seems that most often when a team changes the way NU changes you don't see steady progression. But then, all of a sudden, it seems to come together.

Now, I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying that's the timetable I would expect. You may be right - Callahan and staff may be lousy coaches, or we can't recruit "West Coast Offense" players to NU. But by the junior year of Callahan's first class, we'll be able to make that call - that will be time enough to have implemented the system and have "grown" his players to it.

Quality post by the way...

So, we spend the next couple of years going 7-4, then we see the recruits that Callahan has brought in. If that doesn't work, then what? We've essentially blown 2 or 3 years. Will SP stay with Callahan, since he's got the "big name"?

I guess what it boils down to, is the fact that I keep asking the question, "was all this really necessary"?

I'm not trying to be a "stick in the mud", but just trying to play devil's advocate.

So, we spend the next couple of years going 7-4, then we see the recruits that Callahan has brought in. If that doesn't work, then what? We've essentially blown 2 or 3 years. Will SP stay with Callahan, since he's got the "big name"?

I guess what it boils down to, is the fact that I keep asking the question, "was all this really necessary"?

I'm not trying to be a "stick in the mud", but just trying to play devil's advocate.

No, I understand. While it may appear to the contrary, I'm not an apologist for either Callahan or Pederson, and I suspect that neither is anyone else. I can see a potential upside for going with the West Coast offense, and I see at least one logical reason for firing Solich.

My personal opinion is that Solich was fired because Pederson felt that Solich was not recruiting well enough - no other real reason. Certainly, it couldn't have been Solich's record.

If that's correct, then I suspect that Pederson will give Callahan at least three or four years provided Callahan's recruiting classes are high ranking. I think that will be the primary consideration for Pederson.

If, however, the recruiting is less than stellar, I could see Pederson getting rid of Callahan next year.

Again, simply my take on things.

More interesting was your question of whether the change was necessary. In my heart, I want to say, "No". I love the option and power football, Solich had a good record - on the face of it, why change?

When I look at it intellectually, I can see the concern. With the way Oklahoma and Texas have been recruiting, coupled with what looked like some in-roads by Missouri, and Colorado's practices, recruiting has to be a top concern for the staff. I don't think Solich and his staff were the best recruiters. And with the option, we need the best recruits - we need to be physically superior to run it.

Now, again, Callahan may not be the guy. He may be a great recruiter, and a lousy coach. I just can't tell - he seemed to do well as a college and pro assistant. Does that translate to a good head coach? Only time will tell.

The long and the short of it is that we are going to have the West Coast offense for the next few years, at least.

yes he will stick to him because they are butt buddies. Pederson knows if he don't work he's screwed because he ruined everything for him.