NU to the Big 10?

Any possobility of just bringing in new teams to the Big 12?

I would say the weakest teams of the conference (including all sports) would be Iowa St and Baylor. How about bringing in any of these 2 teams and realiging the conference?

Boise St.

Utah

TCU

Houston

etc...

Or

How about we get rid of Colorado and Iowa St. Then bring in TCU, UTEP, or Houston and have the leagues look like this...

Texas League (south)

Texas

Texas Tech

Texas A&m

Baylor

TCU

Houston or UTEP

The Rest (north)

Oklahoma

Nebraska

Oklahoma St.

Kansas St.

Kansas

Mizzou

Trying to rig a conference where there are no cellar dwellers is like a dog chasing its tail. It can never happen. You could put USC, Texas, OU, Michigan, Nebraska, Florida, LSU, and Ohio State in a "super conference" and I guarantee you two of those teams would drift to the bottom of the pack, year in and year out.

If i'm not mistaken, i think Baylor came in second for the most Big 12 championships this year in all sports.

ISU also just win the NC in wrestling too i think.

Can't look at everything from a football standpoint, or any one single sport. Basketball wise, i don't think the other teams would mind shucking us in favor of some MVC teams.

what if the big 12 disolves for some unknown reason, what do you think of the idea of NU becoming an independant?

My first thought we be that it's a bad idea... But honestly i have no idea if it would work or not.

Money is always the big issue, so could NU bring in enough by itself?

Could we get a contract with a cable company like ND has with NBC?

what if the big 12 disolves for some unknown reason, what do you think of the idea of NU becoming an independant?

I am against anyone in college football being an independent. I really feel that no conference should equal no chance at a national championship.

Regardless, this is more of a long term speculation, as i would put money down that there will be no breakup, if it ever happens, until the current TV contracts are up, which is 2011 if i am not mistaken.

I liked the idea of going independant before the formation of the Big12..

Still makes sense..No sharing of Bowl revenue, better able to schedule heavyweights from around the country and establish rivalries from greater distances like USC/ND, further Increasing our recruiting base.

No redundant conference Championship game against someone you already played that season.

Key is do we produce more $ for the conference than we receive?

***SNIP***

Good question. The other, related issue, is what it would do to the other sports - particularly basketball. I don't think the NU can afford to be independent in basketball at this time. And for baseball - well, when was the last time an independent went to the CWS? I don't know, but if the answer is "Never" or "A looooooooog time", then that would hurt as well.

Most teams want a conference affiliation because they recognize that almost every school goes through a "down" period and when it happens, those conference dollars flow in regardless. Notre Dame is a major exception with their national alumni association.

Not saying it can't be done, but I would think that we would need a conference tie-in for the "lesser" sports to make it work.

***SNIP***

Good question. The other, related issue, is what it would do to the other sports - particularly basketball. I don't think the NU can afford to be independent in basketball at this time. And for baseball - well, when was the last time an independent went to the CWS? I don't know, but if the answer is "Never" or "A looooooooog time", then that would hurt as well.

Most teams want a conference affiliation because they recognize that almost every school goes through a "down" period and when it happens, those conference dollars flow in regardless. Notre Dame is a major exception with their national alumni association.

Not saying it can't be done, but I would think that we would need a conference tie-in for the "lesser" sports to make it work.

Do any of the "Lesser" sports even support themselves (outside of Kentucky or the North Carolina schools)?

I'm not even sure ASU Baseball does.

The key to success would probably have to be what kind of TV deal you could get..I imagine we don't have near the following we had a decade ago, but with the right Television contract, it still might be feasible.

All in all..I'd still prefer to see us persevere through the inevitable resurgence of the Big12, but starting over in a "rust bucket" conference that can't count to 11 without unzipping..Would suck hard!

No matter what Buckeye37 says.