2008 starting lineup

Assuming Lucky has the kind of year we hope and expect of him, I dobut if he'll be here in '08 - he'll turn pro. Especially if the team lives up to our expectations, he'll be in a wonderful spot to go pro.

I hadn't thought of that it's a good point, but you also have to take into account who else will be leaving namely Darren McFadden, Mike Hart and likely Steve Slaton.

My point is it will be a draft loaded with running backs which is a big part of why Brandon Jackson decided to forgoe his senior season to enter the draft.

that's just my prespective on the situation.

but here's to hoping he has the kind of season you speak of that would convince him to go against those players in the draft, because you sure could be right his stock might be at an all time high after this season.

Yeah, unless Lucky has an *astounding* year I don't see any reason why he would turn pro. We have done solid RB recruiting though, lots of 4 stars, if we get a good commitment this year I wouldn't be too worried.

I see Lucky bolting to the pros if he has anything near what Bjax had for stats last season. Remember THIS article? To me that just shows he is playing here to go to the pros, that's it. And IMO that is probably why he came here as opposed to USC, the coaches said he would be able to start and rack up huge stats to get drafted highly. I'm not bashing Lucky, I know that's what most players play for now days, I'm just putting that out there.

Yeah, that's true...I just think with next year's already superb RB class, if he just matches Bjax's production it won't be enough. If you mean Bjax's production as a starter extended over the course of the season, then maybe. But he has to realize he probably won't be 2nd round?...it'll be tough unless he completely tears it up.

Westgatehusker, I disagree that knowledge of the offense means more than talent. If anything they are equal. Think of it like this:

Two people go into a room to take a calculus test. One of the people had a study sheet that he used for several weeks, and although he wasn't a very good mathmetician, he had developed a pretty good feel for the test, because he knew what to expect. The other guy only had 5 days to use his study sheet, enough time to become familiar with what was asked of him. This guy, however, was a brilliant scholar and excellent at math. Who do you think would turn out better?

Also, knowledge of an offense is something that can be picked up; talent? not so much. Sure, the WCO is intricate and unbelievably detailed, but it is still easier for an athlete to learn something new than it is for them to go against nature and magically become more talented.

I understand your side of the argument and it's my fault I didn't clarify exactly what I was talking about. I was talking about Joe Ganz starting though I didn't say that which is my fault I think 4 years of learning the offense would mean more than a small talent gap, though this year he won't start because that talent gap is large between himself and Sam keller.

As for next year I don't see any possible way Blaine Gabbert would start because he himself has said he won't be hear for spring I can definatly see Patrick Witt starting over Joe Ganz but there is no way Blaine Gabbert starts his reshirt freshman year maybe the following year but even that is unlikly.

Maybe your right talent might be more important than knowledge of the offense with the West Coast but that depends on the context like I wrote above 4 year of learning the playbook will trump a kid who got here 2 months before the season starts even if that veteran doesn't have the same talent.

Also something to take into acount is that for the WCO you don't have to have Jon Elway back there to be succesfull. There was a guy you might remember him....named zac taylor who had trouble with the deep ball, but was succesfull in the WCO because it's a short passing offense. That's just something to take into account and it's only my oppinion but this is a good subject

I belive todd is a senior this year but correct me if i'm wrong he sure had one heck of a game at aTm but I don't think he'll ever be a starter

Todd Peterson redshirted his freshman year. This makes him a redshirt Junior this year. He will have one year of eligibility remaining. I don't ever seem him being a true number 1, unless he has a really break out year due to his lack of breakaway speed. There is somthing to be said about the only guy that knows where to be at all 3 widereceiver positions. Some of the guys have a hard time figuring 1 of them out (i.e. Chris Brooks).

I belive todd is a senior this year but correct me if i'm wrong he sure had one heck of a game at aTm but I don't think he'll ever be a starter

Todd Peterson redshirted his freshman year. This makes him a redshirt Junior this year. He will have one year of eligibility remaining. I don't ever seem him being a true number 1, unless he has a really break out year due to his lack of breakaway speed. There is somthing to be said about the only guy that knows where to be at all 3 widereceiver positions. Some of the guys have a hard time figuring 1 of them out (i.e. Chris Brooks).

ya I sure wish some of our more talented players had his smarts

I think you have to look at the QB situation like this. Ganz is a great backup but that is it. Witt might be a gem a diamond in the rough but he was not highly touted and he has had one spring. Lee was injured but he comes highly touted wanted by many schools and put up numbers at Juco vs HS level Cally did an interview on espn and when asked about the QB race he said dont count out LEE he mentioned witt later but not like that. Lee beats out Ganz next year and Witt and will hold the job til he leaves then Gabbert will step in. Barring injury i dont believe Ganz or Witt ever start here.

Not that this matters but people i know that go to practice on a regular basis say LEE is the real deal

Not that this matters but people i know that go to practice on a regular basis say LEE is the real deal

Have to wonder what if he was healthy for the spring. He might have pushed Keller for the job too. Either way, the QB situation looks pretty good for the future.

Have to wonder what if he was healthy for the spring. He might have pushed Keller for the job too. Either way, the QB situation looks pretty good for the future.

it's a blessing to have to have good quarterbacks on the bench and this is the first year in callahan's tenure we've had that

I think you have to look at the QB situation like this. Ganz is a great backup but that is it. Witt might be a gem a diamond in the rough but he was not highly touted and he has had one spring. Lee was injured but he comes highly touted wanted by many schools and put up numbers at Juco vs HS level Cally did an interview on espn and when asked about the QB race he said dont count out LEE he mentioned witt later but not like that. Lee beats out Ganz next year and Witt and will hold the job til he leaves then Gabbert will step in. Barring injury i dont believe Ganz or Witt ever start here.

Absolutely! Its pretty unfortunate too, Witt really surprised me at the spring game! 3mos on the team....awesome job! I just remember when Zac got knocked out against KSUcks and BC put in a true frosh (Beck) with 6 mos on the team vs Ganz who had two and a half years! Bill's already spoken......Joey blows........

You guys seem to only be looking at one side of the depth at quarterback, because to me it seems like it's a double-edged sword.

Having all these really good quarterbacks might not be such a good thing. Let's imagine that Lee, Witt and Gabbert all develop the way they should and all show promise. This means that we will have a 1 year starter this year (Keller), a 1 year starter next year (Lee), a 1 MAYBE 2 year starter after that (Witt), and then Gabbert afterwards. The first problem this projects is that the offense is going to have to learn to be comfortable with something unfamiliar, every year. The second problem is that all of these awesome quarterbacks are not going to like only starting for 1 year and sitting on the bench until that time when they could be starting somewhere else (this should be obvious, since Sam Keller DID transfer to Nebraska :P). To be honest I am kind of worried about how this will pan out, and I personally am looking for Lee to start next year, and then I hope that Gabbert develops quick enough to be a 3 year starter. That would be my ideal situation.

You guys seem to only be looking at one side of the depth at quarterback, because to me it seems like it's a double-edged sword.

Having all these really good quarterbacks might not be such a good thing. Let's imagine that Lee, Witt and Gabbert all develop the way they should and all show promise. This means that we will have a 1 year starter this year (Keller), a 1 year starter next year (Lee), a 1 MAYBE 2 year starter after that (Witt), and then Gabbert afterwards. The first problem this projects is that the offense is going to have to learn to be comfortable with something unfamiliar, every year. The second problem is that all of these awesome quarterbacks are not going to like only starting for 1 year and sitting on the bench until that time when they could be starting somewhere else (this should be obvious, since Sam Keller DID transfer to Nebraska :P). To be honest I am kind of worried about how this will pan out, and I personally am looking for Lee to start next year, and then I hope that Gabbert develops quick enough to be a 3 year starter. That would be my ideal situation.

there is only one way to have talented players not leave and it's not to have more than one at a position and I think I'll take my chances recruiting talented backups and taking a few transfers

I think you are right!Zac Lee will be a two year starter 08 & 09, and Gabbert will be a 2 or 3 yr starter(depending on pro's). Unfortunately that leaves Witt out who I liked alot in the spring game. BC has shown he doesnt have much faith in Ganz after letting Beck replace Taylor in a when he got knocked out against KSUcks. All I can say is this is a nice new problem to have. GBR

I think you are right!Zac Lee will be a two year starter 08 & 09, and Gabbert will be a 2 or 3 yr starter(depending on pro's). Unfortunately that leaves Witt out who I liked alot in the spring game. BC has shown he doesnt have much faith in Ganz after letting Beck replace Taylor in a when he got knocked out against KSUcks. All I can say is this is a nice new problem to have. GBR

I wouldn't say he doesn't have faith in him because he was in his second year fresh off a redshirt and my guess is that he wanted to get beck in there but your right he didn't have enough faith to let Joey Ganz play and not burn Becks redshirt