Nebraska Vs Notre Dame

I don't think that just because you have a degree from ND, Harvard, or Yale gives you a leg up.....there is a huge difference between schools in undergrads. I started out at a small school in SD where I played football and it was hard as all hell. I transfered to a bigger university and it was EXTREMELY easy. If I would have spent my entire college career at the bigger university I would have graduated Cum Laude.

I am sure that the football players at ND and NU are not that different. How many of the ND football actually have a difficult degree or even finish?

I agree..............very rarely do you come across a guy like Dane Todd who gets a 4.0 and is going to go to medical school. dry.gif

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but yeah - Dane Todd is a special case. It's always nice hearing about student-athletes who are *actually* student-athletes, breaking from the trend of this privileged class of students who get it easy (compared to the rest of the student body) from the application process all the way through graduation.

I don't think that just because you have a degree from ND, Harvard, or Yale gives you a leg up.....there is a huge difference between schools in undergrads. I started out at a small school in SD where I played football and it was hard as all hell. I transfered to a bigger university and it was EXTREMELY easy. If I would have spent my entire college career at the bigger university I would have graduated Cum Laude.

I am sure that the football players at ND and NU are not that different. How many of the ND football actually have a difficult degree or even finish?

This is more what I was trying to say. Two engineers graduate, one from UNL, one from Michigan. Michigan has one of the *top* engineering programs in the country, and you can bet that Michigan grad is going to have a leg up. But if these were two football players we're talking about? Level playing field academically based on the degrees alone.

On a football merit standpoint however, naturally the Husker has the leg up ;)

we have the most academic all americans. they are a distant second, though. i think they're admission standards are tougher as are the requirements to reach certain degrees. my wife's friend went there and she got her masters and she said it was REALLY hard. however, i think the sciences and technology sectors at UNL are some industry leading. others can be more specific probably.

Only if its one of your first jobs out of school. after that it all goes out the window.......

There is a HUGE amount of variables...it is all about CLASS SELECTION. I failed a class at UNL that made you memorize between 600-800 terms and events, then on the test there were 10 selected out of this, and had to write 2 paragraphs on them. It was completely insane, and impossible IMO, but I'm sure there were some who thrived at this and did well. I bombed the class, should've withdrawn, but retook it to salvage my GPA. Same class but different professor, Maps, T/F, Multiple choice, got an 'A'. This could happen at any university or college.

Also, I had to work part-time to help pay my way through college. I'm confident that my GPA would've been much better had I only had to rely on student loans, that wasn't the case, but that's ok. I'm sure athletes that are serious about academics deal with this all the time due to the dedication of time involved in sports.

The college experience is very situational, whether it is Harvard or Chadron State. I'm sure every student has a good idea what they're getting into at any school, and they make it what it is, what it should be, and to each individual's potential.

Prestige of a school is nice, I'm sure ND has a big following all over the U.S., but would I rather go to Yale for the name if Utah State had what was thought to be the best in a certain program I was interested in? Well, I'm sure some would, but I wouldn't. Not if I wanted to be confident in my life profession vs. name recognition in a career that might not be my cup of tea.

Kind of off topic but does anyone know where you can get the picture of Notre Dame stadium when it was all red with husker fans? I would like to buy a print and frame it and someone said they bought one from the bookstore but I cannot find it anywhere on the internet. Thanks for any help

Academic All Americans are great, but as people mentioned in previous posts, it's the admission requirements and the level of the professors that make ND an inherently tougher school. I think the "mystique" and all the media bullsh#t plays into it to some degree, but either way I think it's going to be a tougher go than UNL.

I went to Iowa State my freshmen year and it was a joke. I transferred to a Christian private school and had to bust my ass to get a 2.75 GPA. Whether that's the case with ND/UNL is unknown, but I'm just speaking from my personal experience.

I graduated from the same Christian School. I believe a very high percentage of kids applying to med school got in. One summer I took classes at UNO to lighten my load for my Senior year. The students were complaining a lot about how hard the summer classes were, especially this physical geog. class. It was not nearly as hard as the private school and I think I got the highest grade in the class.

On the other hand, I taught at an urban university much like UNO. I had some very good students who went on to graduate schools and I am sure did very well. (At the same time the school advised profs to not be too hard because funding was based on students staying in school). UNL is a good school. Any bright hard working student there is going to do well. It's not unlike football. How many players at USC will never make it in the pros? How many good players at "lesser" colleges make it in the pros? Furthermore, when you start comparing among top 10 or top 20 schools the differences become even smaller.

I do not agree with that ND is tougher academically, or Michigan. I think that most undergrad programs are very consistent across the country as said before. The graduate level is where it may get a little tougher. I have a friend who graduated from UNL and now is in graduate school at ND for Chemistry. IKES!! To hell with chemistry. But anyway, He said he felt like ND had a bettter chem program than UNL, so that is why he chose it. As for smaller private colleges, I definitely think that classes are a little tougher. I graduated from Midland and my chem, physics, and anatomy classes were a lot harder than the same classes my brother took at UNL.

I do not agree with that ND is tougher academically, or Michigan. I think that most undergrad programs are very consistent across the country as said before. The graduate level is where it may get a little tougher. I have a friend who graduated from UNL and now is in graduate school at ND for Chemistry. IKES!! To hell with chemistry. But anyway, He said he felt like ND had a bettter chem program than UNL, so that is why he chose it. As for smaller private colleges, I definitely think that classes are a little tougher. I graduated from Midland and my chem, physics, and anatomy classes were a lot harder than the same classes my brother took at UNL.

Midland in Fremont?