Why our students need to step up....

Not serving alcohol at the stadium has little or no effect.It is a personal choice by each individual to be a jackass, or to drink at a level they are capable of handling.The tailgates, etc., provide all the opportunity that is necessary prior to the game, so that each person has already made that choice before entering the gates, and if they choose the low road, it is very simple to take your beverage of choice into the game.

I wish I could be there, but I hope everyone is killer loud at all games this year, especially the USC game. I went to L.A. last year for the game and I still can't get this: http://www.fightmusic.com/mp3/pac10/USC__Fight_On.mp3

out of my head. They even split up the whole band in the 4th quarter and had them up in the sections about 10 rows in front of us playing it! I hope everyone is so loud in Memorial Stadium that their band isn't recognizable at all!!!!!!

GBR

I tend to agree with moving the student section and band so it is at least over on the side of the visitors. Also most importantly increase the size by 10,000 I think that hurts us alot having a small student section. I am not sure what the size is. (If someone knows please share) aTm has 30,000 so I think we should aim for that mark. I do not agree that the student section needs to be a$$es although creativity is good. They should be leading the aging folks but blackouts were a bad idea. I think the importance of the game plays a huge role I was at the Texas game last year and it was by far the best atmosphere as everyone was jumping at the end. USC I dont think we have to worry about it being loud its the other games that will be difficult for some to be loud at.

we need the team to step up, not the students.

Listen, I tend to agree with both. It is almost like a partnership between the team and the fans. The team can bring alot to the fans and vice versa. When either one is "down" the other needs to step up and provide the extra push needed to get going. Most of us here are'nt students, and I'm a big believer of fixing the man in the mirror and leading by example.......lead the kids, not the other way around.

i agree we as students can always bring it better, but a lot of students don't see the point when the rest of the crowd is sitting on their hands. Crowds should be known as a whole, not just by section. Students should be the loudest and most creative, but lets not just point fingers. Have we ever been known for just our students? We are the sea of red, so step it up as a sea of red. I agree we need to do more. I wish we did something like a&m or had a big gathering. The pregame stuff really isn't all that exciting here because there isn't one big parking lot or meeting place like in other places.

I guess i don't know why I am trying to stand up for the whole student body, I just don't like my colors being tested. I am through and through one of the biggest fans I know, and I show up every game. I have no problem taking some responsibility but jeez I hate people finger pointing other fans.

The Terp basketball fans are NOT looked upon as a shining example of student behavior here in the state.....Yes, they are fanatically rowdy, especially when Duke comes to town, but their actions are not viewed in a positive way.

I can't comment on our students' enthusiasm, or lack thereof. I can only say that the two examples above should not be used as a benchmark of what a "good" student section is.

Living hear in Durham, NC (home of the Dukies) I can attest that Maryland basketball fans are NOT who you want to emulate. I would not want to take a child to one of their games. They have basically made their home games x-rated. They are starting to rival Standford's marching band for boorish, crude behavior. It is an anti-family atmosphere. No class. Now Duke's Cameron Crazzies is a good group to model. Such imagination and energy. Everyone should see them in Cameron. They are something special and I am fortunate enough to have been in Pauley Pavillion when the Wizard of Westwood was weaving his magic at UCLA in the 1970's.

i agree we as students can always bring it better, but a lot of students don't see the point when the rest of the crowd is sitting on their hands. Crowds should be known as a whole, not just by section. Students should be the loudest and most creative, but lets not just point fingers. Have we ever been known for just our students? We are the sea of red, so step it up as a sea of red. I agree we need to do more. I wish we did something like a&m or had a big gathering. The pregame stuff really isn't all that exciting here because there isn't one big parking lot or meeting place like in other places.

I guess i don't know why I am trying to stand up for the whole student body, I just don't like my colors being tested. I am through and through one of the biggest fans I know, and I show up every game. I have no problem taking some responsibility but jeez I hate people finger pointing other fans.

Well when I'm talking about student sections, it only makes sense to point the finger at NU's ----- student section. I don't question YOUR loyalty or YOUR enthusiasm or YOUR passion. I'm questioning the majority of the student section. Can I honestly consider our student sectoin to be in the top 20 in the country.....no. Can I honestly say that you guys can be loud......yes. Can I honesty say that people feed off you.....sometimes. But yes when the student section is rocking, the rest of the crowd is rocking. When the student section is tame, the rest of the crowd is tame. Now you tell me......which happens more?? I think you guys are getting closer. To me....just in my opinon, I think the B****** rocks. Pick a game here or there and I'm absoutely fine with it. I also loved the B****** because part of the team (I'm looking at you McKeon) wanted it and you guys made it happend. That's f'n awesome! I don't know if this tradition stopped or what but I thought the lifting of the shoes at the "kickoff" was quirky and fun and the sort of crazy wierd stuff this stadium needs. Plus the push-ups after touchdowns are cool -- all though copied from various other teams -- I still like it. I just hope that as much as the Unversity has pushed you guys aside, as much as they've basically avoided you and as much as they desire fans with deeper wallets, that you guys in the end will just say "fu*k it!!!" and rock that part of the stadium. Just in my personal opinion and I know alot will disagree with me, but I want our student section feared. I want people to say "Memorial Stadium is a great atmosphere, the people are nice, the stadium looks cool and you can tell the people really care about their team. But god damn that student section is insane!" I guess I don't see what's wrong with that......

Personaly I think alot can be solved by simply moving the student section behind the visitors bench. That will maximize thier noise, and giving the kids a "target" that can actually hear them IMO would get them more rowdy for that reason alone. The main reason that will probably never happen is the ticket prices, obviously they are more $ on the 50 and Stevie P. likes his money. Or, make a U shape around the visitors would possibly help "tame" visiting fans a little being surrounded by crazy kids, that or it would just cause alot of fights. :box .........maybe Stevie P. should just let a little money slip through the cracks on this one and go to the 50!

Personaly I think alot can be solved by simply moving the student section behind the visitors bench. That will maximize thier noise, and giving the kids a "target" that can actually hear them IMO would get them more rowdy for that reason alone. The main reason that will probably never happen is the ticket prices, obviously they are more $ on the 50 and Stevie P. likes his money. Or, make a U shape around the visitors would possibly help "tame" visiting fans a little being surrounded by crazy kids, that or it would just cause alot of fights. :box .........maybe Stevie P. should just let a little money slip through the cracks on this one and go to the 50!

If that happened I guarantee a Boulder situation in Lincoln with crap getting thrown at people. Not that I am calling anyone out in being a scumbag but Im just playing the law of averages with drunk college kids and an easy target.

If that happened I guarantee a Boulder situation in Lincoln with crap getting thrown at people. Not that I am calling anyone out in being a scumbag but Im just playing the law of averages with drunk college kids and an easy target.

How about just when sCUm is here!

bad idea. we don't want to even chance a CU type event from happening in our stadium, just to generate a little extra noise. not worth it IMO, not even close. everyone should have learned something by now from the CU debacle.

bad idea. we don't want to even chance a CU type event from happening in our stadium, just to generate a little extra noise. not worth it IMO, not even close. everyone should have learned something by now from the CU debacle.

The point isnt just noise, its player intimidation as well. I agree that it is a slippery slope, and some measures would need to be taken to ensure it is a safe environment, but you can't live your life idiot-proofing every thing.