Why our students need to step up....

You can't live it reinventing the wheel every other year either.

I wager that if NU goes 10-1 this year, the crowd noise goes up.

Honestly I was just boerd and felt like BS ing a little about it. I really don't care one way or the other as both sides have thier benefits, so maybe all things being equal its best to just leave it alone......What about stripper poles? That should be pretty new and fresh! We should start a petition!

Most of the problem is the way that the students are set up. Its not the fact that they are in the corner but that could be improved upon. When I sat there, and as far as I know still now, the students that are the hard core rowdy cheerers are stuck in the South Stadium some of whom are 50-60 rows up. Whereas the students that sit in East Stadium are primarily fraternities and sororities who for the most part could give a crap less about the game. I saw SOOOOOO many people that would show up for games merely for the social aspect of things. Im not saying that fraternities and sororities are bad, but maybe they should shake up how the students sit. In the East Stadium studet section you have mostly, not all but most, girls who while they are good eye candy dont care, and a bunch of frat guys who are so hung over from the night before (or still drunk) that they dont even cheer.

I think they should put the Frats and sororoities in the south stadium....thats my suggestion.

Most of the problem is the way that the students are set up. Its not the fact that they are in the corner but that could be improved upon. When I sat there, and as far as I know still now, the students that are the hard core rowdy cheerers are stuck in the South Stadium some of whom are 50-60 rows up. Whereas the students that sit in East Stadium are primarily fraternities and sororities who for the most part could give a crap less about the game. I saw SOOOOOO many people that would show up for games merely for the social aspect of things. Im not saying that fraternities and sororities are bad, but maybe they should shake up how the students sit. In the East Stadium studet section you have mostly, not all but most, girls who while they are good eye candy dont care, and a bunch of frat guys who are so hung over from the night before (or still drunk) that they dont even cheer.

I think they should put the Frats and sororoities in the south stadium....thats my suggestion.

What about making the student section GA? Get there early, get the best seats. Period. I know this was a suggeston a while back by a couple of student organizations but I'm not sure if anything was made of it.

What about making the student section GA? Get there early, get the best seats. Period. I know this was a suggeston a while back by a couple of student organizations but I'm not sure if anything was made of it.

In the south stadium it basically is GA....in the East stadium it is set up in blocks like two rows for this frat two rows for this sororoity. Thats why the south stadium section gets filled so quickly. I think thatd be a great idea but you would have major complaints from those groups unfortunately.

In the south stadium it basically is GA....in the East stadium it is set up in blocks like two rows for this frat two rows for this sororoity. Thats why the south stadium section gets filled so quickly. I think thatd be a great idea but you would have major complaints from those groups unfortunately.

Here is the article from the DN dated 4/6/06. Obviously since it was published in April of last year that nothing was done of it, but if there are any current students out there who know if this is still in the works, let me know.....I like the idea

Proposal would reorganize football stadium seating

By: KEVIN ZELAYA

Issue date: 4/6/06 Section: News

Proposal would reorganize football stadium seating

Students tired of overcrowding at Cornhusker football games and not satisfied with their seat now have another option.

An Association of Students of the University of Nebraska proposal drafted Wednesday would seek to end student strife at football games by replacing the reserved-seating system with a general admission, ``first-come, first-serve'' system.

The proposal suggests:

- No block or group seating. Students would be giving general admission seats in sections of East and South stadiums.

- Seating for East Stadium will be given to those who sign up first, as determined by their class standing. So seniors would have first dibs and freshmen would be the last to sign up.

- East Stadium ticket holders would then have to pick up a wristband on Friday or Saturday before the game to get into Memorial Stadium and be allowed into East Stadium.

- Students would be allowed to go from East to South stadiums (if crowding is not a problem) but not South to East. Everyone else would receive general admission for South Stadium.

- A small section of reserved seating would remain in Section 15 in the South Stadium for student athletes and non-traditional students. These sections would be roped off.

Matt Connolly, ASUN external vice president, said he and ASUN president Matt Schaefer came up with the proposal to solve the problem of overcrowding in the student section, especially in the East Stadium.

Connolly said the plan reflects the way students are seated.

``For a large number of students, it's kind of already general admission,'' he said.

The 2,500 student tickets for East Stadium would be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, noting that freshman currently are last in line to order tickets and that his plan is no different than the status quo.

Schaefer, a junior political science major, said the problem stems from high student demand for tickets in East Stadium.

``Everyone wants to go there,'' Schaefer said. ``It gets overcrowded because it has a better view. You have two to three people per seat.''

The proposal hasn't been voted on by ASUN senators yet, and will be up for review by students in the upcoming weeks.

The Athletic Department has delayed the registration of ticket sales to allow time for the proposal to be considered. If the plan is adopted by ASUN and the Athletic Department, it could go into effect for this fall's football season.

At Wednesday's ASUN meeting, Sen. Joe Manglitz, a sophomore music education major, opposed the proposal. He said if block seating were abolished it would separate upper and lower classmen who are members of the same greek house.

``It's a big deal for greeks to sit together,'' Manglitz said.

Sen. Brigid O'Holleran, junior natural resources major, said she has had some bad experiences with block seating. She noted that it makes no difference whether you get to your seat early or late because it always becomes a fight to keep a seat.

``Block seating becomes survival of the fittest when people push you off your seat,'' O'Holleran said.

Chris Anderson, associate athletic director of communications, described the proposal as being in ``a listening time period'' during which students are able to consider the proposal.

Anderson said the plan shows students can be proactive and seek to solve their own problems, noting there is no deadline or schedule for the plan.``We want students to have a say,'' Anderson said. ``And if they have a better solution then they should let us know.''

Connolly stressed that the plan is still in its infancy, noting that graduate students still hadn't been factored into the plan.

``The meat isn't in it,'' Connolly said. ``It's just a skeleton of a plan.''

that's the problem!! we need MORE student seating. looking at the films of the other schools--it's apparent the most noise and chaos comes from the students. i have heard almost every year that more and more student section seats are being squeezed out. let the alumni and boosters sit in the cushy boxes and give more students seats, it's their turn at the college atmosphere anyway.

we keep adding seats and fewer of them are going to students. (i'm not a student by the way)

Stereotypes are fun. :thumbs