Purify's legal issues

Maybe BC is onto something here. He can match right up with TO if he just lets Purify back on the team with no consequences. He can mirror this image I pulled off of an article "Keep athletes within the law: Zero-tolerance policy needed" that talked about ethics.

The worst in all of this is the way that the University of Nebraska has handled the exploits of Tom Osbourne's team.

When the Cornhuskers won the national championship a year ago, they had on the field at some point or another a convicted batterer in Phillips, a wide receiver with attempted murder charges pending in Riley Washington and a defensive lineman, Christian Peter, who had served out a conviction for sexual abuse

Let there be criminals, or let there be losses!

My guess is that he'll miss the first two games for sure. I'd be surprised if he missed all the non-conference games, but it would be a big statement by Callahan if he did, and I wouldn't argue against it.

His offenses - bar fight and drunk driving- are both deplorable, but he hasn't stolen anything, put anyone in a hospital, or been found with illegal drugs. 2 Games might be acceptable as punishment, especially considering one of those games is against the defending ACC champions.

I don't know what Cally said to Mo after the bar fight, but I would imagine it involved something about staying out of trouble from that point on. So what does Callahan say this time? One more mistake and your done seems to be the most appropriate.

I find it interesting you bring up illegal drugs. In the eyes of the law, drug offenses are minor compared to alcohol DUI's. Someone can be hopped up on whatever drug is their choice and drive a car and get a slap on the wrist. Drive a car after a few beers, and it's like the end of the world. Never did understand this.

The bar fight was stupid, but it probably only warranted a probationary period with the team and no games or practices missed. DUI by itself should probably only be a 1 or 2 game suspension. However, I don't know what he should get for doing both in such a short amount of time. I guess we have to look at the "what if" scanario. The bar fight really isn't that out of the ordinary. The DUI could have meant 20+ years in jail if he'd have had a wreck and killed someone. I remember Farley getting a DUI and TO suspending him, but I don't remember how many games he missed other than the Arizona State game.

It's not that Purify has done anything horribly wrong or out of the ordinary for student athletes. It's the fact that he did so many in such a short period of time which tells me he's a complete idiot. Btw, has anyone even seen him lately? Hell, we might not want him back on the team. He may very well weigh 300+ by now.

So by what you're saying, I could go do crack and acid, drive a car, get pulled over and get off with a slap on the wrist??? You know a DUI stands for driving under the influence, period. Doesn't say alcohol or weed or LCD, just under the influence. I'm sure the police will arrest your ass when driving wrecklessly due to some substance. I've known people who went to jail while driving after smoking up.

Just reported from 1620 he got probation on all charges. No mention from the judge about fines or alcohol classes. He will get the length of time for probation from his officer, but those are the charges from the judge. Sounds like the ones who said one or two games at most were more than likely correct. This is probably the best possible outcome.

From KOLN/KGIN

http://www.kolnkgin.com/home/headlines/8577712.html

Jon Braaten, the attorney of suspended Husker football player Maurice Purify, released the following statement after a court appearance by Purify in Lincoln Wednesday afternoon.

"Maurice entered a plea of no contest to an assault involving another male. He also pled no contest to disturbing the peace and hinder/delay arrest arising out of the same incident. The charge involving an alleged assault against a female has been dismissed. Maurice also pled no contest to driving under the influence. These pleas fully resolve both of his cases."

From KOLN/KGIN

http://www.kolnkgin.com/home/headlines/8577712.html

Jon Braaten, the attorney of suspended Husker football player Maurice Purify, released the following statement after a court appearance by Purify in Lincoln Wednesday afternoon.

"Maurice entered a plea of no contest to an assault involving another male. He also pled no contest to disturbing the peace and hinder/delay arrest arising out of the same incident. The charge involving an alleged assault against a female has been dismissed. Maurice also pled no contest to driving under the influence. These pleas fully resolve both of his cases."

I now more forcefully back my position. Purify is one hug with a cancer child away from starting Nevada, September 1. And now that the rage has cooled a bit in Husker nation, I can't say I'd disagree if that decision came down the line. One slip, you're out. I think that will wake his ass up, at least, and put the ball completely in his court. He has the power to make his life extraordinary or a complete and total waste. That would wake me up, I think.

And USC must be razed to the ground.

My guess is that he'll miss the first two games for sure. I'd be surprised if he missed all the non-conference games, but it would be a big statement by Callahan if he did, and I wouldn't argue against it.

His offenses - bar fight and drunk driving- are both deplorable, but he hasn't stolen anything, put anyone in a hospital, or been found with illegal drugs. 2 Games might be acceptable as punishment, especially considering one of those games is against the defending ACC champions.

I don't know what Cally said to Mo after the bar fight, but I would imagine it involved something about staying out of trouble from that point on. So what does Callahan say this time? One more mistake and your done seems to be the most appropriate.

I find it interesting you bring up illegal drugs. In the eyes of the law, drug offenses are minor compared to alcohol DUI's. Someone can be hopped up on whatever drug is their choice and drive a car and get a slap on the wrist. Drive a car after a few beers, and it's like the end of the world. Never did understand this.

The bar fight was stupid, but it probably only warranted a probationary period with the team and no games or practices missed. DUI by itself should probably only be a 1 or 2 game suspension. However, I don't know what he should get for doing both in such a short amount of time. I guess we have to look at the "what if" scanario. The bar fight really isn't that out of the ordinary. The DUI could have meant 20+ years in jail if he'd have had a wreck and killed someone. I remember Farley getting a DUI and TO suspending him, but I don't remember how many games he missed other than the Arizona State game.

It's not that Purify has done anything horribly wrong or out of the ordinary for student athletes. It's the fact that he did so many in such a short period of time which tells me he's a complete idiot. Btw, has anyone even seen him lately? Hell, we might not want him back on the team. He may very well weigh 300+ by now.

So by what you're saying, I could go do crack and acid, drive a car, get pulled over and get off with a slap on the wrist??? You know a DUI stands for driving under the influence, period. Doesn't say alcohol or weed or LCD, just under the influence. I'm sure the police will arrest your ass when driving wrecklessly due to some substance. I've known people who went to jail while driving after smoking up.

In Western Nebraska, they just search your car to make sure you don't have enough "stuff" to be considered a dealer. If you just have the token amount to be considered just a "user", they give you a small misdimeanor fine (75 bucks) and send you on your way driving down the road. A few years back, they did this and the guys wrecked and totalled their car within 2 hours after being pulled over. Hell, there was a "cooker" making crank that spent less than 2 hours in jail and he was found with enough stuff to be considered "intent for delivery". He was in prison for 2 hours until his dad came and bailed him out of jail. He received probation and was told to never make crank again. Out here, the drug laws are nothing. It's amazing to me that after houses and buildings get burnt down from people cooking crank, there's never any arrests. Considering cops only breathe test out here, I don't think LSD or any other drugs show up. It's sad when something that is completely illegal is treated this loosely compared to something that is legal as long as you're 21. No one has ever convinced me that it is more dangerout to drive after drinking alcohol than it is to drive while being stoned.