Future

Tom Rathman has played with the greatest players the west coast offense has ever seen, not to mention the man who created it. Bo Pelini had no head coaching exp when he came here....half of you would make him a head coach now. Bill will leave! he has tasted the superbowl and that is ultimately his greatest challange. I live in Arizona, born and raised in Omaha till 3 years ago. Callahan has loads of talent and a few pro teams are watching his development at Nebraska. Money talks my friends, Sam Keller will allow Callahan to open up his EXTREMELY complicated pro playbook and both will showcase thier talents to the pros this season. Callahan has no emotional ties to NU $$$$$$$$. Now on the Tom Rathman angle lets look @ his accomplishments. Won a superbowl in the west coast offense, his pro dreams are complete, with the best in the game. Must have learned a couple things about football since leaving NU. Has emotional ties to the state, which could be said for Tom Osborne. Tom Rathman will give the program a solid foundation. Just think of the people Rathman has been associated with, and the recruiting potiential he has, not to mention assistant coaching candidates. Callahan was not very well trusted after the Raider gig, he jumped @ NU to save his career and showcase his ability. Rathman is a Husker and would bleed for the BIG RED once again. Rathman knows the west coast offense, he knows what it takes to play at a championship level....the respect he would command from high school kids would be tremendous, imagine Joe Montana helping Tom recruit a QB. He loves NEBRASKA and is very intrested in becoming a member of the coaching staff. Husker fans, try not to let sipple and studder boy warp your thoughts with the big red page. there is more going on than what you read in the hearld.

Whats Rathman done as a coordinator? I believe he was only a RB's coach. What would make him be a good head coach besides bleeding 'husker red' and commanding respect? How do you know his pro dreams are complete? You asked? How do you know he doesn't want to coach in a super bowl like BC?

All you're doing is speculating on something that probably don't know anything about.

Exactly.

Most on here have had Pete Carrol leaving for the NFL. He has not and stated he loved the college gig.

BC is a lot like Pete Carrol, except more successful in the NFL. He has stated many times that this home and that he will be here until he is not wanted any longer. Why is it so hard to believe? If he takes this program to the level PC has SC, he becomes a god in Nebraska. He likes the slower pace that Nebraska has compared to most NFL cities. He has young children that he feels are safer in Nebraska, than they woud be in Philly or LA.

Yes he still has alot to prove, but I believe he is working toward proving every single day. He has impressed his boss, evidently by the extension of our AD's contract. The higher ups are impressed with what is going on here. I truly believe he will be here until he is fired or retired. My guess the latter.

Rathman is a good person, but from my understanding has no interest in coaching at the college level. We do not know his management skills. College football is big business and you basically are a CEO, not a position coach. That is all that Rathman has accomplished on the coaching field. It may be all he wants to, have no idea. But he is not qualified to coach a major program. We allready had one that was diehard Nebraska, but was not qualified. I never want to go through that again.

Be happy with what we have. Embrace BC, he is going to be here for a very very long time. Trust me.

Most on here have had Pete Carrol leaving for the NFL. He has not and stated he loved the college gig.

BC is a lot like Pete Carrol, except more successful in the NFL. He has stated many times that this home and that he will be here until he is not wanted any longer. Why is it so hard to believe? If he takes this program to the level PC has SC, he becomes a god in Nebraska. He likes the slower pace that Nebraska has compared to most NFL cities. He has young children that he feels are safer in Nebraska, than they woud be in Philly or LA.

Yes he still has a lot to prove, but I believe he is working toward proving every single day. He has impressed his boss, evidently by the extension of our AD's contract. The higher ups are impressed with what is going on here. I truly believe he will be here until he is fired or retired. My guess the latter.

Rathman is a good person, but from my understanding has no interest in coaching at the college level. We do not know his management skills. College football is big business and you basically are a CEO, not a position coach. That is all that Rathman has accomplished on the coaching field. It may be all he wants to, have no idea. But he is not qualified to coach a major program. We already had one that was die hard Nebraska, but was not qualified. I never want to go through that again.

Be happy with what we have. Embrace BC, he is going to be here for a very very long time. Trust me.

i agree with skers on the whole post, with one exception. don't know FOR SURE about Cally's long term residency. hopefully, he is correct.

Funny how the man himself has said directly and succinctly that he has no interest in returning to the NFL. I've heard it here, folks. He says he loves where he's at, the job he's doing, the people he works with. Once Bill's got that Big XII championshi trophy sitting in his case and the potential for a national championship in the works, everyone is going to fall silent, then slowly trickle into thunderous applause. Once that happens, he'll have his option, stay, or pros. I don't think he's going anywhere––because that's how he says he feels.

And USC must be razed to the ground.

How many coaches have supposedly been happy with where they're at only to get that hot phone call and be on the next plane out of town? I'm sure the Miami Dolphins are real happy with Saban. Plus, I don't see NU trying to compete money wise with a pro team if BC ever has that kind of success. Considering the loyalty of BC's assistants to the program, what makes you think BC will be anymore loyal if the right situation opens up for him? I'm pretty sure I read where Miles was very happy at OSU, but after the call from LSU wow he got happier. Petrino was supposedly happy at Louisville a couple of years ago when he turned down pro jobs. What happened? Well he found what he perceived as the right opening and bolted to Atlanta. I think it's very naive to at least not accept the fact that BC may get lured away from NU by a pro team. However, I think he's got a lot to do and accomplish before many/any pro teams lay out the red carpet for him.

Naive? I didn't say he COULDN'T be lured away––what kind of idiocy is that? I simply don't think it's likey any time in our near future. The kind of fanship you can experience with success in Nebraska is legendary. The whole state is your best friend. I'm not much of a pro watcher, but I've not heard of our level of fanship anywhere. Yes, money talks, and loudly, but I imagine Bill is pretty comfortable, and from the interviews I've read, his OWN POSITION is that he is excessively happy with where he's at, and he has DIRECTLY deflected the pro question by saying something along the lines of: "Look at Pete Caroll. People think that just because the pros come knocking that you have to leave. That's crazy" (not exact quote).

We can have this conversation again if it comes up. Bill needs to have some major success before we're realistically discussing the future of this team. In any case, I'm glad he's here, and I hope he stays. I want to see what a team with talent and depth can do with his particular offensive scheme.

Funny how the man himself has said directly and succinctly that he has no interest in returning to the NFL. I've heard it here, folks. He says he loves where he's at, the job he's doing, the people he works with. Once Bill's got that Big XII championshi trophy sitting in his case and the potential for a national championship in the works, everyone is going to fall silent, then slowly trickle into thunderous applause. Once that happens, he'll have his option, stay, or pros. I don't think he's going anywhere––because that's how he says he feels.

How many coaches have supposedly been happy with where they're at only to get that hot phone call and be on the next plane out of town? I'm sure the Miami Dolphins are real happy with Saban. Plus, I don't see NU trying to compete money wise with a pro team if BC ever has that kind of success. Considering the loyalty of BC's assistants to the program, what makes you think BC will be anymore loyal if the right situation opens up for him? I'm pretty sure I read where Miles was very happy at OSU, but after the call from LSU wow he got happier. Petrino was supposedly happy at Louisville a couple of years ago when he turned down pro jobs. What happened? Well he found what he perceived as the right opening and bolted to Atlanta. I think it's very naive to at least not accept the fact that BC may get lured away from NU by a pro team. However, I think he's got a lot to do and accomplish before many/any pro teams lay out the red carpet for him.

I think the difference is is that Callhan has ALREADY done the NFL thing. Saban never had. Say what you want to about Callahan's abilities as a head coach, but anyone who is at the helm at Oakland is already hog-tied by Davis from the get-go.

Say what you want about the assistants, but they are leaving due to stepping up their careers, not stepping down. (i.e. Frank Solich...and yeah, didn't leave as an assistant, or on his own terms, who cares.) It sucks for Nebraska, but is still a positive sign that our assistants are competent and doing well.

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

I hated this thread initially (but newbies will get the feel eventually), but leave it to the Husker pundits to take it where it needs to go :clap . I really feel like this is Cally's year to shine as a college coach. This is a schedule where he will have to have a gameplan, be willing to change as necessary, and throw in 'trickeries' to get it all done. Lest it be said, NU is going to be 'out-talented' on at least 2 occasions, one on the road. To have a chance...

1) Coaching

2) Heart

3) Nebraska

That should get it done. chuckleshuffle

you are a moron

Name calling is a board rule violation. Please take a moment and read the board rules.

I hated this thread initially (but newbies will get the feel eventually), but leave it to the Husker pundits to take it where it needs to go :clap . I really feel like this is Cally's year to shine as a college coach. This is a schedule where he will have to have a gameplan, be willing to change as necessary, and throw in 'trickeries' to get it all done. Lest it be said, NU is going to be 'out-talented' on at least 2 occasions, one on the road. To have a chance...

1) Coaching

2) Heart

3) Nebraska

you are a moron

Nirvana, welcome to the board, btw... :restore;)

Naive? I didn't say he COULDN'T be lured away––what kind of idiocy is that? I simply don't think it's likey any time in our near future. The kind of fanship you can experience with success in Nebraska is legendary. The whole state is your best friend. I'm not much of a pro watcher, but I've not heard of our level of fanship anywhere. Yes, money talks, and loudly, but I imagine Bill is pretty comfortable, and from the interviews I've read, his OWN POSITION is that he is excessively happy with where he's at, and he has DIRECTLY deflected the pro question by saying something along the lines of: "Look at Pete Caroll. People think that just because the pros come knocking that you have to leave. That's crazy" (not exact quote).

We can have this conversation again if it comes up. Bill needs to have some major success before we're realistically discussing the future of this team. In any case, I'm glad he's here, and I hope he stays. I want to see what a team with talent and depth can do with his particular offensive scheme.

Well put. I don't think he is going anywhere any time soon either. But when people start saying there is no way he goes they are just kidding themselves. I do disagree with the premice of this thread, that BC is leaving soon and that he should be replaced by a Former Nebraskan. It just isn't realistic for that to all play out. Timing is everything with coaching changes. We wouldn't even have BC if Tom waited a few more years to retire IMO.

BC has too much to do here to even consider leaving under his own power. The only way I see him leaving is if we go 7-6 this year followed by another like performance. Then yes I see him being asked to leave. And lets say in the next 5 years he is able to win a couple NC's, he will be treated like a God throughout the state. I am with you, I think behind all of his "professionalism" is a father that wants a quiet safe environment for his family. Family life would have to be hard for any professional coach. I see him staying in Nebraska for quite a while creating his own legacy of winning.

1) Coaching

2) Heart

3) Nebraska

you are a moron

Nirvana, welcome to the board, btw... :restore;)

damn, foppa

nirvana only has 4 posts and he already thinks you are a moron. why did you have to urinate in his breakfast cereal

1) Coaching

2) Heart

3) Nebraska

you are a moron

Do you make friends eveywhere you go?

Husker Football should never be put into a situation where we have to take the best possible choice available. Our coaching and system should lead the way in college football much like the option of old. Other universities should be looking @ our assistants to possibly be head coaches. Pete Carroll is set lets discontinue using him an an example, what pro jobs has been offerd to him that is better than where he is @? Callahan is going to leave, that im certian, being GOD in Nebraska is only appealing to....a nebraskan? Whats wrong with securing our future with the best possible choice now? not only is Tom a Cornhusker, he knows the west coast from a championship field level. Tom wants to come to Nebraska, Callahan wants the Cleveland Browns Job.

P.S. as long as Cozgrove is defensive coordinator...NCs will not be coming to Lincoln.

1) Coaching

2) Heart

3) Nebraska

you are a moron

Do you make friends eveywhere you go?

Personally I am glad NIRVANA joined this board because he has taken a lot of heat of me! NIRVANA, when I joined this board I thought Foppa was a moron also. But I have learned he is passionate, thoughtful, and a take no sh** kind of guy. I now him consider as one of my buddies even though we have our differences.

As far as football is concerned, off the top of my head I can't think of any coach who coached in the NFL, came back to college, and then returned to the NFL. I'm sure there must be one. The college ranks are full of the corpses of very good college coaches who couldn't make it in the NFL but shined in college.

wow, a total expert has arrived on the scene? been having lunch with Bill lately?

look, Rathman is a great guy and was an absolute talent, but he has proved nothing as a head coach.

these jobs are not just awarded to ex NU players with no resume for coaching successes. newsflash, it takes a whole lot more than that to be HC at NU.