Some USC Gossip

Husker_x

TarheelTrojan, I looked at the box score and saw that Patrick Turner didn't get a reception...did he play? I'm curious, what happened there? He was supposed to be the go-to guy, right?

Anyway, I can't really comment on SCs performance, since I didn't watch or listen to any of it. I can only say that we'll have our hands more than full on September 15th.

Turner got a stinger in practice and Carroll decided to rest him. He should be ready to go in Lincoln. You have to remember that Turner is the only real WR that Booty has any chemistry with. Turner and Ausberry are not extremely fast, they are just huge targets. I would expect to see Joe Mcknight get some more touches as he was also not 100% in this game. I have no idea why we have so many injuries every year!

Overall, I do not believe Nebraska will be able to run much against us. We will be stacking the line and forcing Keller to beat us in the air. However, the weakest part of our defense is probably our corners especially if Pinkard is not playing. I was shocked at how bad our defensive line looked again Idaho. Most experts suggest that we have a top five rated line in the country however, we got absolutely no push again Idaho and no sacks! Keller will have a field day if this doesn’t get fixed. The line backing core does over pursue at times, especially Rey but he is an incredible athlete and provides more upsides as far as intangibles go. If Cushing is out for the game, we will definitely miss him however Clay Matthews (related to Bruce Matthews) is more then adequate. Last year, Cushing sprained his ankle and came back to play the next week, we will only know by game time.

On another note, I am glad to have a found this board. From what I have read, it is full of insightful information. I cant stand board where people just bad mouth other each other over and over without making any valid points. I have always had a lot of respect for Nebraska fan after I went to the Rose Bowl game in 2002. The tickets I bought were near the Miami section and it was absolutely amazing to see more red in that section then green. It was also great to see the sportsmanship that Nebraska fans possess. I read a recent article, which predicted that Nebraska would face Miami in the Gator Bowl this year. That would be interesting!

USC Fan here, I came across this post and thought I would give my opinion. I was at the game last night and man it was very boring to say the least. Most people left in the middle of the third quarter. Having attended most of the major scrimmages this summer, it reminded me of a spring ball practice. In USC defense, they were without:

Matt Spanos (wont be back for a while however his replacement Kristofer O'Dowd didn’t miss a beat, this kid is solid and has a nasty streak in him)

Chancey Washington (from what I hear from insiders, he could be out four weeks, we will see)

Brian Cushing (sprained his ankle real early in the game, didn’t look that bad and he should be ready to go in Lincoln)

Josh Pinkard (hurt his knee the Thursday before the game, we really need this guy to play in a big way, hard to say when he will be back)

Broderick Green (most likely out for the year with a stress fracture)

Patrick Turner (will be ready to play in Lincoln)

Overall, we were missing a big part of our offense with Washington and Turner out. The play calling however was very vanilla. We didnt want to show anyone the changes that have been made since Kiffin moved on. The only real change that we showed is throwing more to the fullback who looked great. The offense will be alot more dynamic against Nebraska. On the defensive side of the ball, we didnt look great either. For whatever reason, we could not pressure the QB. We rarely blitzed, again the play calling was very vanilla. I believe we will be a lot more aggressive against Nebraska. On a positive note, the special teams looked great. USC has a history of playing to the level of there competition so I wouldnt get to excited about this game, we will see what team comes to play in two weeks. I think having the week off to prepare while you guys have to go to wake forest, gives us a tremendous advantage. Looking forward to the game!

Nice post, and welcome to the board!

Overall, I do not believe Nebraska will be able to run much against us. We will be stacking the line and forcing Keller to beat us in the air. However, the weakest part of our defense is probably our corners especially if Pinkard is not playing.

I do agree...this game will be won or lost at the arm of Sam Keller...He plays well and sets up the run game, NU wins...he doesn't, NU loses. NU can effectively run against USC, IMO, but only if the passing game sets it up...not the other way around.

Trojan, was Cushing's injury a high ankle sprain? I was trying to watch the game last night, but I was about halfway asleep when that game was on. From what I remember, I think it was, but I could very easily be wrong.

I certainly hope he is back for the Nebraska game, but looking from that play (a viciously dirty play I might add) he was almost lucky to get a mild injury and not a broken bone or torn knee ligaments.

The latest report on Cushing is in fact a high ankle sprain and he is doubtful for the NU game. 5 star backups or not this will be a big loss for SC, dude is a stud and not easily replaced.

Ouch. If it indeed is a high ankle sprain, he may as well have broken it. Those injuries are almost tougher to come back from than actually breaking the ankle itself.

Overall, I do not believe Nebraska will be able to run much against us. We will be stacking the line and forcing Keller to beat us in the air. However, the weakest part of our defense is probably our corners especially if Pinkard is not playing. I was shocked at how bad our defensive line looked again Idaho. Most experts suggest that we have a top five rated line in the country however, we got absolutely no push again Idaho and no sacks! Keller will have a field day if this doesn’t get fixed. The line backing core does over pursue at times, especially Rey but he is an incredible athlete and provides more upsides as far as intangibles go. If Cushing is out for the game, we will definitely miss him however Clay Matthews (related to Bruce Matthews) is more then adequate. Last year, Cushing sprained his ankle and came back to play the next week, we will only know by game time.

On another note, I am glad to have a found this board. From what I have read, it is full of insightful information. I cant stand board where people just bad mouth other each other over and over without making any valid points. I have always had a lot of respect for Nebraska fan after I went to the Rose Bowl game in 2002. The tickets I bought were near the Miami section and it was absolutely amazing to see more red in that section then green. It was also great to see the sportsmanship that Nebraska fans possess. I read a recent article, which predicted that Nebraska would face Miami in the Gator Bowl this year. That would be interesting!

Man you're class act, it's nice to have you aboard. You're not arrogant like most of your fellow SC fans (tarheel trojan). Keep posting, I'm looking forward to a heck of game!

Man you're class act, it's nice to have you aboard. You're not arrogant like most of your fellow SC fans (tarheel trojan). Keep posting, I'm looking forward to a heck of game!

I don't believe TarheelTrojan is any more arrogant than any Husker fan on this board...and why shouldn't he be, and why shouldn't we be?

But I still agree, nice posts, TrojanAlum...hopefully you stick around even after the NU/USC game. And do me one favor...make sure your guys decimate Notre Dame! 'God's Team' and 'Touchdown Jesus' can suck it, the blaspheming idiots. I hope their TV ratings force NBC out of business.

I don't believe TarheelTrojan is any more arrogant than any Husker fan on this board...and why shouldn't he be, and why shouldn't we be?

But I still agree, nice posts, TrojanAlum...hopefully you stick around even after the NU/USC game. And do me one favor...make sure your guys decimate Notre Dame! 'God's Team' and 'Touchdown Jesus' can suck it, the blaspheming idiots. I hope their TV ratings force NBC out of business.

looks like GT got their season off to a great start, ND will have a tough year!

If USC's d-line didn't put that much pressure and didn't do what people thought they would do, then our line should push them around a little. Open up the running game, and see if we can't expose some of the secondary. This will be a close game, it could go anyway, but I'll have to go with Nebraska since it is in Lincoln and it is going to be crazy there.

like i said earlier, unfortunately they will commit to shutting down the running game and make Keller and our receivers beat them with the pass. it will be very tough to do.

but first we have to get through the WF game with our guys in good shape. this is going to be a hard fought game and probably take a lot out of our guys. SC has the advantage of a bye week to prepare and get their guys rested, it will be a big advantage for them.

did you say 'not as bad as here however'? tarheeltrojan?

meaning we have worse fans than you somehow? sheesh. you spend a lot of time on here for someone who thinks lowly of us.

No,I didn't mean that at all.

What I meant was the Husker fans were not as bad over here as the SC fans are at socal. Where the bad, disrespectful, ill informed poster is the exception over here (huskerboard), they are the norm on our side. Its much more cordial and informative over here.

I apologize for poorly expressing my point. I think highly of the husker nation. I have tried to make that point over and over. I can see how the quote above could be misconstrued, however.

GBR! Fight On!

I wouldn't write off our run game just yet. Last year we got dominated by you gents up front, but the O-line is vastly improved and you can tell that even in our first game (not to mention our 5* RB just showed up to play for the first time). However I'm not sold on the idea that the Nebraska of old has just appeared before our eyes and will be grinding down that SC defense all day––check back with me after the Wake game.

I'll probably do a more detailed analysis of how I see the game after we play Wake. Then at least we'll have played against an above-average team with some playmaking abilities in the passing game. SC's run game looked pretty hopping for the bit that I saw, but in both our respective cases, not much can be gained from it, except maybe for a tiny nugget with Nebraska––that's a helluva lot of rushing yards, man, lol. Whoa.

Anyway, I don't like to see any players get hurt, even if it is on the team that the devil himself manages. I want to play SC at their full capacity, full strength, and see who's got what it takes to make it four quarters.

Take it easy.

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

USC Fan here, I came across this post and thought I would give my opinion. I was at the game last night and man it was very boring to say the least. Most people left in the middle of the third quarter. Having attended most of the major scrimmages this summer, it reminded me of a spring ball practice. In USC defense, they were without:

Matt Spanos (wont be back for a while however his replacement Kristofer O'Dowd didn’t miss a beat, this kid is solid and has a nasty streak in him)

Chancey Washington (from what I hear from insiders, he could be out four weeks, we will see)

Brian Cushing (sprained his ankle real early in the game, didn’t look that bad and he should be ready to go in Lincoln)

Josh Pinkard (hurt his knee the Thursday before the game, we really need this guy to play in a big way, hard to say when he will be back)

Overall, we were missing a big part of our offense with Washington and Turner out. The play calling however was very vanilla. We didnt want to show anyone the changes that have been made since Kiffin moved on. The only real change that we showed is throwing more to the fullback who looked great. The offense will be alot more dynamic against Nebraska. On the defensive side of the ball, we didnt look great either. For whatever reason, we could not pressure the QB. We rarely blitzed, again the play calling was very vanilla. I believe we will be a lot more aggressive against Nebraska. On a positive note, the special teams looked great. USC has a history of playing to the level of there competition so I wouldnt get to excited about this game, we will see what team comes to play in two weeks. I think having the week off to prepare while you guys have to go to wake forest, gives us a tremendous advantage. Looking forward to the game!

Excellent post and extremely fair IMO. One area however I could not disagree with you more is having the week off. The "ONLY" way to truly straighten out problem is playing games. USC coming to Lincoln having played only one very weak team is a HUGE disadvantage IMO. They haven't played anyone remotely good and haven't seen any real team speed except for scrimmages. That my friend is not how a teams improves. The Huskers have an excellent test to see if everything is running on all cylinder this weekend while USC sits around playing themselves. Assuming no major injuries at WF and of course a win we will be topped off and ready to rocket in Lincoln. Not scheduling a game in 2 weeks, early in the season is a big mistake IMO. Time however will tell...... BTW... I believe USC fans are going to be shocked at how well our players match up with USC. We have perhaps the strongest kick off kicker in college football... Many, many things have changed for the better since last season......... Good post and nice to see a real football fan........ ct....

Excellent post and extremely fair IMO. One area however I could not disagree with you more is having the week off. The "ONLY" way to truly straighten out problem is playing games. USC coming to Lincoln having played only one very weak team is a HUGE disadvantage IMO. They haven't played anyone remotely good and haven't seen any real team speed except for scrimmages. That my friend is not how a teams improves. The Huskers have an excellent test to see if everything is running on all cylinder this weekend while USC sits around playing themselves. Assuming no major injuries at WF and of course a win we will be topped off and ready to rocket in Lincoln. Not scheduling a game in 2 weeks, early in the season is a big mistake IMO. Time however will tell...... BTW... I believe USC fans are going to be shocked at how well our players match up with USC. We have perhaps the strongest kick off kicker in college football... Many, many things have changed for the better since last season......... Good post and nice to see a real football fan........ ct....

but, simply put we will be no match for their team speed. i am a fraid they will be in our backfield more than we like.

USC looked incredibly athletic in the first quarter and they dominated Idaho with very simple play calling. A lot of off tackle runs. There team speed was incredible but they essentially did nothing in the 2nd and 4 quarter. I think it was b/c they didn't care. I doubt they will make that mistake against NU. Next week will be good for our defense to get tested. We will score on USC we just need to make sure we can stop them with our DB's and our D-line can get pressure so Booty doesn't have all day. And BTW USC doesn't normally have 2 bad performances ina row so I wouldn't even bother looking at the Idaho performance. It was a glorified scrimage.