Some USC Gossip

Husker_x

like i said earlier, unfortunately they will commit to shutting down the running game and make Keller and our receivers beat them with the pass. it will be very tough to do.

but first we have to get through the WF game with our guys in good shape. this is going to be a hard fought game and probably take a lot out of our guys. SC has the advantage of a bye week to prepare and get their guys rested, it will be a big advantage for them.

Good points, but if we can make it through the WF game without injuries to our key players than I seriously like our chances. I think the trojans have been exposed as a beatable team. Not that we still wouldn't need to play a great game, but SC's definitely not the world beaters that everyone's made them out to be!

Well, from what I hear the USC game was nothing to be dazzled with. The number 1 team (defense, especially) in the nation didn't have a great amount of luck with the run, giving up 98 total yards (253 overall vs. the Big Red's 185 surrendered). I know, not a huge number, but this was a nobody team. I hope we can assume Lucky and Castille will be able to surpass that with a good amount of ease. The time of possession differential in this matchup has me chuckling: Idaho 27:26, USC 32:34, a rather stunning lack of ball control for this juggernaut, especially when compared with lowly Nebraska's 40:38 compared with Nevada's 19:22.

Moreso their offensive production was nothing to do the ziggy-giggy about, leaving the combined 2nd and 4th quarters with a whopping 7 points––this the fruit of a worshipped Heisman candidate who as far as Mark May is concerned should just be handed the trophy. My analysis of this would lead me to conclude that if they can only account for 7 points in two quarters of play against a severely outmatched defensive secondary, then we can expect the Nebraska game to be at best a blowout and and worst a shootout or defensive trench war. With their top defensive player wheeled off in the first half apparently with a knee injury, what will this mean on Sept. 15? That I leave to you.

Yes, USC too (wonderful, unstoppable USC) is shaking off a bit of rust. But it seems to me there may be a kink in the works. If this is all the Condoms can account for against Idaho, then perhaps, just perhaps now, it is evidence that this touted team is just a weeeeee overrated. Time will tell (and a murderous road schedule).

For now, the Wake game, but as for this Unstoppable, Indestructable, Ferocious Immortal SC defense, I think a line from 300 best expresses my optimism. "Immortals...we'll put their name to the test."

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

Anyone who has played or coached football knows you make the biggest adjustments between your first and second games. Plus USC has two weeks to prepare for NU

There team speed was incredible but they essentially did nothing in the 2nd and 4 quarter. I think it was b/c they didn't care. I doubt they will make that mistake against NU.

If this is the case, then they're in for worse than a tough game. I don't care if they were playing Baylor, you come out to play and you play every down. If that truly was their attitude––which I highly doubt––then that's better news for us than the more likely case which was that they simply weren't good enough to score points in the 2nd and 4th. A team who doesn't care against any opponent is lazy, weak, and waiting to be knocked off. Again, just ask Michigan. That kind of attitude is infectious, goes deeper than just the kind of opponent you're playing, and can kill your season before it even begins.

Husker X,

Again you missed my point. I didn't say they took them lightly. What I meant was they were already up 21-0 before you blinked. They didn't care about blowing out Idaho and showing their offense and getting players hurt.

If you took my comment as they are a team who doesn't care and takes plays off then you are mistaken and took a huge leap. I am not sure if you watched the game at all. Did you? You thread seems a tad uninformed.

Husker X,

Again you missed my point. I didn't say they took them lightly. What I meant was they were already up 21-0 before you blinked. They didn't care about blowing out Idaho and showing their offense and getting players hurt.

If you took my comment as they are a team who doesn't care and takes plays off then you are mistaken and took a huge leap. I am not sure if you watched the game at all. Did you? You thread seems a tad uninformed.

Unfortunately that's not what you wrote. I don't know how anyone would get that out of the sentences I quoted. But anyway, it doesn't matter. Yeah, they had two good quarters, I'm not arguing that at all. They totally dominated this team. All my point has been with this entire thread is, based on the stats, this wasn't a dominating performance by the #1 team in the nation––you've even got Trojans in this thread spouting that.

As to my thread being uniformed. 1) Yes, I did see about half the game and I spent a good while studying the stats before I wrote the original post. 2) Of course it's uninformed. It's the first game. I don't know how much plainer I can be on this issue. Not a whole lot can be gleaned from this first game. We should expect a better game when they play us. However, my point really is that in terms of ball control, defense, and even offense to a certain degree, this SC team isn't the force the preseason polls purported that they are––YET. We outshone them in virtually every category, the most troubling of which (for them) is time of possession. Maybe this will change, but for the sake of something to think about over the next couple weeks, this thread is only supposed to be a possible explanation for the statistics. No more, no less.

Have a good one.

USC Fan here, I came across this post and thought I would give my opinion. I was at the game last night and man it was very boring to say the least. Most people left in the middle of the third quarter. Having attended most of the major scrimmages this summer, it reminded me of a spring ball practice. In USC defense, they were without:

Matt Spanos (wont be back for a while however his replacement Kristofer O'Dowd didn’t miss a beat, this kid is solid and has a nasty streak in him)

Chancey Washington (from what I hear from insiders, he could be out four weeks, we will see)

Brian Cushing (sprained his ankle real early in the game, didn’t look that bad and he should be ready to go in Lincoln)

Josh Pinkard (hurt his knee the Thursday before the game, we really need this guy to play in a big way, hard to say when he will be back)

Broderick Green (most likely out for the year with a stress fracture)

Patrick Turner (will be ready to play in Lincoln)

Overall, we were missing a big part of our offense with Washington and Turner out. The play calling however was very vanilla. We didnt want to show anyone the changes that have been made since Kiffin moved on. The only real change that we showed is throwing more to the fullback who looked great. The offense will be alot more dynamic against Nebraska. On the defensive side of the ball, we didnt look great either. For whatever reason, we could not pressure the QB. We rarely blitzed, again the play calling was very vanilla. I believe we will be a lot more aggressive against Nebraska. On a positive note, the special teams looked great. USC has a history of playing to the level of there competition so I wouldnt get to excited about this game, we will see what team comes to play in two weeks. I think having the week off to prepare while you guys have to go to wake forest, gives us a tremendous advantage. Looking forward to the game!

Excellent post and extremely fair IMO. One area however I could not disagree with you more is having the week off. The "ONLY" way to truly straighten out problem is playing games. USC coming to Lincoln having played only one very weak team is a HUGE disadvantage IMO. They haven't played anyone remotely good and haven't seen any real team speed except for scrimmages. That my friend is not how a teams improves. The Huskers have an excellent test to see if everything is running on all cylinder this weekend while USC sits around playing themselves. Assuming no major injuries at WF and of course a win we will be topped off and ready to rocket in Lincoln. Not scheduling a game in 2 weeks, early in the season is a big mistake IMO. Time however will tell...... BTW... I believe USC fans are going to be shocked at how well our players match up with USC. We have perhaps the strongest kick off kicker in college football... Many, many things have changed for the better since last season......... Good post and nice to see a real football fan........ ct....

but, simply put we will be no match for their team speed. i am a fraid they will be in our backfield more than we like.

Remember back in the mid? '70s when We had really fast outside LBs and OU's 3 RBs each took a step in the wrong direction at the snap just to counteract our speed?

Look kinda cool and was effective.

EDIT..Er..I mean..Didn't work at all AlunimumTro or TarHeelTrojan..Stupid idea..Looked Dorky.

BTW..If you'd just wear your Trojans on your Heels..You might be able to keep that tar off.

There team speed was incredible but they essentially did nothing in the 2nd and 4 quarter. I think it was b/c they didn't care. I doubt they will make that mistake against NU.

If this is the case, then they're in for worse than a tough game. I don't care if they were playing Baylor, you come out to play and you play every down. If that truly was their attitude––which I highly doubt––then that's better news for us than the more likely case which was that they simply weren't good enough to score points in the 2nd and 4th. A team who doesn't care against any opponent is lazy, weak, and waiting to be knocked off. Again, just ask Michigan. That kind of attitude is infectious, goes deeper than just the kind of opponent you're playing, and can kill your season before it even begins.

Husker X I agree with you. If the poor showing was because of a lack of attitude then that is serious and uncharacteristic of a PC team. The injuries are a concern also.

Whether its injuries or attitude or both, its a legitimate cause of concern for Trojan fans.

I don't like the fact to USC has two weeks to watch and prepare for us, but on the other hand, I like the idea of Nebraska playing some talent and seeing some speed before the USC game. I hope no one gets hurt during the Wake game. Do you guy's think that Cally will pull out some trick play's or do you think he will save that for USC?

Great article about this weekend USC game:

http://www.wearesc.com/news/story.php?article=225

Last year I thought Bill Callahan was way to conservative except for the fake punt. It just didnt seem like he wanted to win that bad. Any predictions on how his strategy might change this year?

he has no excuse NOT to loosen things up from the start. i expect us to throw the ball 6 out of the first 10 plays, anything less than that would be a disappointment for me. USC will be playing the run, first and foremost. with the team speed on the D, we will have a tough time gaining any rushing yardage, until we establish some short/intermediate passing to back off the backers. but them again, what do i know?