USC Prediction

robsker

no, USC does not lose many players, once on the team. they are ridiculously deep at many skill positions and recruit better than any team in the country.

yes, LSU and OU are probably ahead of them right now, but USC will get better as the season progresses and their guys get some playing time.

after being idle for 2 weeks, USC will be rested and ready and have fresh legs. their defense will be really tough for us to penetrate and move the ball with any sort of consistency. unless they turn the ball over, i expect them to win this game by 10 or more points.

Keller has yet to find his rhythm as well, so not sure how effective he will be. he would have to settle down and not force the ball, INT's will kill us if he throws 'em.

people who loved Grix this week will hate him next week, not his fault, he will be totally over matched (like the rest of our DBs) by bigger, faster receivers, that will eventually be in the NFL and Grix will end up watching them on TV, just like the rest of us. (Booty could well put on a passing clinic for our DBs.)

not impossible for us to win this game, but damn it in reality, we just don't have much of a chance. their talent and experience is light years ahead of us, at this point.

USC 24 NU 13

After watching the WF game I am extremely concerned about the coming week. Could somone please tell BC that he can mix in a little misdirection into his play calling. He was excedingly predictable this weekend. Case in point the 4th and 2 at the end of the game. Please tell me why we ran the ball for the 15th time in a row? If Cally wasnt going to try and get them to jump, he had to know they were selling out for the run. Had he known that he should have put in Castille to make them feel for sure we are running, it was a perfect time for a playaction pass to a TE. It probably would have went for a TD. WF sold out to the run, we knew they were selling out to the run.........yet we run anyway. Unless we mix in some deceit with playactions and roll outs there will be no way we will come close to USC, and Coz better find a way to keep our defense from over pursuing. That is all they did for the first 3 quarters of the game. Don't get me wrong i love guys flying to the ball, but if the offense seemingly gives up and lets you go in one direction, OPEN your friggen eyes its misdirection. All i have to say about this weeks win that should have been a loss, is WOW WE GOT LUCKY. Luck won't work agianst USC. Here's to hoping the team was looking forward to USC during the WF team.

After watching the WF game I am extremely concerned about the coming week. Could somone please tell BC that he can mix in a little misdirection into his play calling. He was excedingly predictable this weekend.

*SNIP

I was thinking the same thing, but also thought that maybe BC didn't want to open up the playbook to much so he wouldn't have to show USC more than he had to. It would make sense because he could have pulled out a couple play actions or possible trick play but why show them to USC.

After watching the WF game I am extremely concerned about the coming week. Could someone please tell BC that he can mix in a little misdirection into his play calling. He was exceedingly predictable this weekend.

*SNIP

I was thinking the same thing, but also thought that maybe BC didn't want to open up the playbook to much so he wouldn't have to show USC more than he had to. It would make sense because he could have pulled out a couple play actions or possible trick play but why show them to USC.

honestly, i don't think he is that creative, with the exceptions of a few trick plays and you don't win many games with just trick plays alone. mixing up the play calling in drives is critical to keeping the D off balance.

I love the HUSKERS and always hope for the best. For this weeks game you can throw away all the meaningless stats like we are undefeated at home when Gameday is here. The people on the field win or lose and after what I saw Saturday, we have little to no chance. Sorry to say that but it is true. I hope i am proven wrong but i cant see it.

We beat the defending ACC champ i get that but they are not that good of a team this year. We were very lucky to win that game and the flaws or deficiencies i saw Saturday will get us crushed against USC. can we fix some of it YES, through schemes and planning, but some of it is non correctable.

A lot of the flaws seen on saturday deal with personnel. It is completely unreasonable to expect Ruud and McKeon to play soooooooo much better this saturday. they stunk it up against a very mediocre WF team what the hell do we think USC is gonna do to them?

For us to win Saturday we are going to have to keep the Trojans off balance, something we havent done in a while. We cannot be the least bit predictable. We cannot run Purify and Nunn into the game when we are going to throw and 3 tight ends in every time we are going to run.

Purify should rarely come out. He needs more chances per game.

IMO we have a lot of work to do. I am not a believer in firing the coaches etc. I am concerned with last week simply because we have much better players overall than WF yet we played like the worse team of the 2.

USC 31 NU 10

I would love to think he is saving the playbook for USC. But something tells me, we have already seen the play book. In his tenure at NU the only kind of misdirection i have seen is Trick/Gadget plays. Sure they work once in a while, but there has to be some sort of rollout, or counter or playaction this guy has. Keeping the defense loyal is the key. It seems that late in games the other teams defense knows the exact play we are running as well as everybody watching. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but Keller doesn't leave the pocket when pressured. I like to see a guy stand in the pocket but man when that thing collapses GET OUT. Perfect example was when Keller lost the ball on our own 10 yd line. BTW Keller better have sucked off Bowman after he made that interception and bailed out Keller.

After Saturday's game at Wake Forest, I must say that the Huskers will have trouble against USC. Now, I've been a Husker fan a lot longer than most of you (as I have been a fan for 50 years), so don't accuse me of being disloyal! The Huskers will have to bring their AAA game and hope USC suffers from jet lag or something...

come to think of it, i can't even remember when we saw a draw play

(they never work on 3rd and long, how about running one on 1st or 2nd and short for a different twist?) or an end around or a double reverse? not that those plays will work against a fast defense like USC's, but even if they fail, it should slow down the pursuit a little bit?

I love the HUSKERS and always hope for the best. For this weeks game you can throw away all the meaningless stats like we are undefeated at home when Gameday is here. The people on the field win or lose and after what I saw Saturday, we have little to no chance. Sorry to say that but it is true. I hope i am proven wrong but i cant see it.

We beat the defending ACC champ i get that but they are not that good of a team this year. We were very lucky to win that game and the flaws or deficiencies i saw Saturday will get us crushed against USC. can we fix some of it YES, through schemes and planning, but some of it is non correctable.

A lot of the flaws seen on saturday deal with personnel. It is completely unreasonable to expect Ruud and McKeon to play soooooooo much better this saturday. they stunk it up against a very mediocre WF team what the hell do we think USC is gonna do to them?

For us to win Saturday we are going to have to keep the Trojans off balance, something we havent done in a while. We cannot be the least bit predictable. We cannot run Purify and Nunn into the game when we are going to throw and 3 tight ends in every time we are going to run.

Purify should rarely come out. He needs more chances per game.

IMO we have a lot of work to do. I am not a believer in firing the coaches etc. I am concerned with last week simply because we have much better players overall than WF yet we played like the worse team of the 2.

USC 31 NU 10

Travis9 --- What you say makes sense to me. Predictability in play calling has been a problem. By formations, personnel and/or time spent in the huddle it is possible to predict 90% of the Husker plays before they take place (at least in terms of pass vs. run --- but often in terms of who, specifically, will get the ball as well). It must be a defensive coordinators dream to play NU.

Holding USC to 31 points might be difficult. The bast chance is for the NU offense to have some sustained drives and for the punter and specialty teams to assist in helping the field position game out (forcing USC into long drives).

I also concur that WF is only a decent team. They will be fortunate to finish much above .500 and will almost certainly not be ranked at any time in the polls from here on out.

Still cheer the Huskers on. No matter what happens, back our young men.

WHO THE HELL CARES HOW BAD ASS USC IS?

I am sick and tired of reading all of your comments. You should be ashamed of yourselves as Husker fans. True fans don't ever doubt their team and pick other teams to win. So what its gonna be difficult to win. There is still a chance. The USC team is NOT God...OK, so stop acting like it. Have some Faith for Christ's sake! And quit talking about coaching....can you draw up plays, run a Nationally recognized football team and its recruiting, and read offense and defense schemes? Didn't think so. So don't tell us what the Huskers need to do to win....leave it up to the coaches. Sorry if this pisses some of you off but trust me, I read the entire thread and it just left me in the dumps! Piss Poor...hope the players don't read this thread, because all they will see is faithless people.

P.S.

If you attend the game this weekend, cheer......cheer until you pass out! Even if the Huskers fall behind or make a bad play, do NOT let the stadium get quiet! We have to keep USC rattled! G...B...R!!!!!!!!!

:bonez:restore:cheers

We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible. - Vince Lombardi

Last week was a typical case of 'pulling a Michigan'. We were looking ahead, but still pulled it together to win. We showed the makings of a strong team, a team that didn't fall down and stay down.

WE GOT BACK UP!

USC is the 'best team in the nation' by everyone's standards. But they don't have the most important thing in college football. They don't have character. They don't have the gold marks on their helmets that were earned from fighting Wake for a win. They don't have that humbling feeling of 'surviving' a road game.

To the doubters - that is what you are. You are not a 'realist' - you are a doubter.

NE has a chance, they have the makings. They need the true blue Husker fans to show up, inside Memorial and out. Fill the parking lots with you, your friends, your friends friends. Then walk into the GREATEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL STADIUM IN AMERICA, truly read the words above the gates.

Husker Nation has been doubting our team for 5 years. The team should be doubting us. It's time to step up and truly be THE GREATEST FANS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

go big red.

Go big red.

Go Big red.

Go Big Red.

GO Big Red.

GO BIG Red.

GO BIG RED.

GO BIG RED!

WHO THE HELL CARES HOW BAD ASS USC IS?

I am sick and tired of reading all of your comments. You should be ashamed of yourselves as Husker fans. True fans don't ever doubt their team and pick other teams to win. So what its gonna be difficult to win. There is still a chance. The USC team is NOT God...OK, so stop acting like it. Have some Faith for Christ's sake! And quit talking about coaching....can you draw up plays, run a Nationally recognized football team and its recruiting, and read offense and defense schemes? Didn't think so. So don't tell us what the Huskers need to do to win....leave it up to the coaches. Sorry if this pisses some of you off but trust me, I read the entire thread and it just left me in the dumps! Piss Poor...hope the players don't read this thread, because all they will see is faithless people.

P.S.

If you attend the game this weekend, cheer......cheer until you pass out! Even if the Huskers fall behind or make a bad play, do NOT let the stadium get quiet! We have to keep USC rattled! G...B...R!!!!!!!!!

:bonez:restore:cheers

True fans most certainly can be objective. I have been a Cubs fan, a true Cubs fan for 40+ years. I root for them constantly. I go to games. I cheer them on. I support the players and coaches. Yet, I know that they will not win the World Series anytime soon (but, there is a slim chance). I enjoy following them as a fan. I grew up there they are my team. But, I do not assume they are always the bast and that they will win every game. Nor do I fail to point out what are, at times, things that appear to need work.

Same with the Huskers. NU is a great institution, my alma mater, and was a wonderful place to study and the people in Lincoln and in Nebraska are awesome. The Huskers are my team. I love them. From the time I attended NU (starting in 1983) until now, and until death, I will root for NU and always hope for the best. But, I'll also be objective. Some things need work and while USC is not "God" they are quite the load to contend with. It seems to me that placing reasonable expectations consistent with objective assessment is best for everyone.

By the way, the Lombardi quote that someone else posted is an awesome one. Participants should always live by such a creed. Fans, well, we are not participants, let's not place undue expectations upon these kids that, if not lived up to, appears then to be failure.

This season will be a success if NU ends up ranked and wins the B12 north --- even if we do not really compete well with USC. To measure success by the USC measuring stick is asking a bit much.