USC Recap

Husker_x

Why should we all stick around when our coaches obviously didnt't? We were killing with the pass, but then Calli thinks we need to "POUND THE ROCK" and we fall apart. I don't care about T.O.P. or rushing yards or how we do it, I just want us to move the damn ball. He is obsessed with the running game, I understand in most cases the running game opens up the passing game, but when the pass is working why not stick with it. Keller looked pissed at how the game was being called after we stopped passing.

PLUS where the hell were our linebackers??? I really can't be too pissed about the dline, but the linbackers were nowhere to be found on those runs.

The LBs were being suckered out of position all night. I won't say that Coz should be fired, but he definately needs some sort of wake up. I think he may have got it tonight.

PLUS where the hell were our linebackers??? I really can't be too pissed about the dline, but the linbackers were nowhere to be found on those runs. Also, TACKLE LOW, NOT HIGH!!! W...T...F...?!?!?!?

Their nails weren't dry so, well, I guess it's understandable. You spend all that time and then it just rubs off on some guy's jersey.

I'll throw in my 2 cents...

Sure, this loss sucks but USC is just flat out better than us. USC, LSU, and Florida are the elite right now and I think one of those will win the NC...sure another team can sneak through but those teams are the best IMO.

Keller...dude is a stud. I actually think he is better than Booty and will go on in the NFL to a better career than Booty. He would start over Booty on USC. The guy is gutsy and can make the throws. USC defense is their strength this year and he did a pretty good job against them. He kept us in it as long as he could despite the fact that our O-line was giving him little help and our defense was giving him ZERO help. I applaud Keller for giving what he had for the entire game (more than I can say for some of the fans who left early).

The receivers...I thought did a good job to hang onto the ball tonight compared to earlier games.

RB's...Lucky had another tough day running against a tough defense and our O-line could not make holes for him...I would have preferred some more short passes to Lucky (we saw some attempts to do that). I think Glenn is essential to our success...started to show some better signs tonight. I think we need a better one-two punch with Lucky and Glenn...I still don't see Lucky as this workhorse who can essentially take all the carries (especially in games against good defenses).

The defense...lost the game for us tonight. Wow...that was pretty bad. Our defensive line is very weak. I didn't realize we would be this weak on the D-line this year (but we saw how Wake almost beat us this way via the run as well). We never even got close to pressuring Booty and I give some credit to our DB's that we didn't see any crazy long bomb highlight reel completions tonight from Booty because he had all day back there. I really hope we can pull in help at D-line in recruiting and we have excellent chance for two top JUCO's (Kuli & Thompson...you guys can play as soon as you get here!). I usually don't call players out..but Ruud, Jones, and Green should see less playing time. McKeon is getting close as well. Other than Bowman and Octo on defense, I don't know if we have anyone else that can make key plays. We need playmakers on defense in a very bad way. As for Cosgrove, I am really not sure how much of it is his fault...we often had a defender there to make the stop for a short gain only to miss tackle or have the USC athlete just juke us. The missed tackling is atrocious. Wrap up...cut the crap with the arm tackling or trying to throw a weak shoulder in to bring down a ball carrier! Again, there were plenty of plays tonight where the USC RB should have been stuck but due to missed tackles broke off considerable more yards. Very frustrating as last year opponents could throw at will on us...now that our secondary is getting built back up, our D-line is very weak after the losses of Carriker and Moore to the NFL...and now I expect teams will run at will on us.

What does this all mean...again I look at other teams ahead of us in the rankings...elite are USC, LSU, and Florida and they would all come in to Lincoln and beat us. Oklahoma and West Virginia are also very good...one of these teams might sneak through in the end. Texas will likely beat us this year in Austin. Other than those...teams like Wisconsin, Ohio State, Louisville, Cal, Rutgers, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Penn State, UCLA...we are just as good as them. We are a #10 - #20 team right now. Getting better on defense must be our focus.

IMO, this year's USC offense is not as good as in prior years but our defense is worse. And, USC's defense this year is one of their best but we still moved the ball successfully at times against them tonight. If a team like Florida or LSU winds up against USC in the championship, I think they will look at how Keller was effective passing against them.

GBR

What's that I hear, fans dropping off the bandwagon?

The most disturbing thing, to me, was watching how empty Memorial Stadium was at the end. We have the best fans in the world, don't we? So how come half the fans quit while Keller and the team were still gunning for the end zone?

Something has got to be done about our tackling. But how about our quarterback! We've found ourselves a gamer, all right. So, please, stop with the whole "season is lost" attitude. The players aren't playing that way, and the Best Fans in the World should give them more support than that.

Recuperate, smash down Ball State, and see what we can do against Mizzou on the road.

By the way, how 'bout those Longhorns....eh?

So if we don't applaud and praise every stupid thing they do, every crappy coach they hire, then we're bandwagon fans? If we care about just what in the hell is wrong, thing we see a problem, voice concerns and legitimate criticisms it seems like we're thinking about it more deeply and are concerned. If I weren't a fan, I wouldn't care if NU sucked, would I? I think it's better to be a critical, thinking, sometimes negative fan than a lapdog to a program. I think that after the drastic changes they made to the coaching staff (no NU alum etc.) and playing style ("WCO") they have a lot more to prove to use to garner our loyalty. Tonight I sat in the stadium watching, and I realized something. I turned to my dad and told him that the saddest part is that it's not sad to lose anymore. He said, "We're getting used to it." That sucks.

We don't owe BC or coz ANYTHING. The state ("WE") pay them a sh#t load, more than I'll ever make, to make the huskers into a good team. Why in the hell is there this sucking up to them when they fail at this job? If someone walks into my house and puts on my mom's clothes, that doesn't make her my mom. If these stranger coaches come in and put on red shirts, that doesn't make them huskers.

Speaking of that, I have a problem with coz and company using the word "Blackshirts." That's a tradition that was started by a specific coach and there is no legacy connecting the current conception of Blackshirts with the blackshirts of years past. Did anyone know that polaroid doesn't exist anymore? You can buy crap that says "Polaroid" on it, but it only exists as a label that crappy chinese companies can stick on garbagy digital cameras. It's a marketing trick... so are the "Blackshirts." Who are these people? I don't recognize them. It's an empty signifier.

I agree with the recap. Really, there's no excuse for the defense being as bad as it was. USC played Idaho at home, and USC scored less than they did on our turf. It's an embarrassing loss. USC running backs averaged between 10 - 25 yards a carry, depend on whose stats you look at. That's not a bad week... that's a bad system period.

And no, this isn't people falling off the bandwagon. This is Husker Fans not settling for mediocrity. This is fans not settling for coaches that can pull off a win unless they play someone good. This is fans demanding that the current generation of coaches and players not besmirch what is a history of elite college football.

The average Husker fan is smart... they understand the game. They know good football when they see it. Husker fans wouldn't be so mad if games were coached and played as best as possible, but were merely outdone by a better team. Husker fans during this game saw GLARING errors in the defense, plus too much reliability on senior running backs that obviously need to sit down. Husker fans saw a badly coached game... played by a badly trained team.

Recruits don't solve this problem... a change in coaching schemes or coaches in general do.

The most disturbing thing, to me, was watching how empty Memorial Stadium was at the end. We have the best fans in the world, don't we? So how come half the fans quit while Keller and the team were still gunning for the end zone?

maybe the stadium wouldn't be empty at the end if WE DIDN"T GET OUR ASSES KICKED!!!! :bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

Maybe it wouldnt be empty at the end if it werent half filled with fairwather fans. :asshat

maybe the stadium wouldn't be empty at the end if WE DIDN"T GET OUR ASSES KICKED!!!! :bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

Maybe it wouldnt be empty at the end if it werent half filled with fairwather fans. :asshat

I wouldn't go that far, man. Just because fans can't stand that nauseating feeling of watching Cosgrove's black skirts play defense doesn't make them fairweather. I love the Huskers, but I'd rather duck out early and avoid the traffic than sit there and watch that so-called 'defense' play 'football.'

time for a new d coordinator

Its been passed time for this since 2004. And he can take the Head Coach with him for all I care. I just get sick and tired of the no talent excuse. We have talent, enough to play with a team like USC, especially at home. Its COACHED HORRIBLY. Seems like our guys on both sides of ithe ball are trying to read things so much, that by the time they see the damn thing, its past them. I just cannot believe we gave this cat an extension. I knew from day one we screwed up, and we adding years to his contract? Bad bad management!! :madash

time for a new d coordinator

Its been passed time for this since 2004. And he can take the Head Coach with him for all I care. I just get sick and tired of the no talent excuse. We have talent, enough to play with a team like USC, especially at home. Its COACHED HORRIBLY. Seems like our guys on both sides of ithe ball are trying to read things so much, that by the time they see the damn thing, its past them. I just cannot believe we gave this cat an extension. I knew from day one we screwed up, and we adding years to his contract? Bad bad management!! :madash

If we go on to have a 10-11 win season, it'll be okay. I don't want to read TOO much into a whipping by the number 1 team in the nation. A BCS appearance is not out of the question. I won't say we'll win, but it is still within reach. If this season goes down the drain, though, like last year, I will seriously be wondering about whether or not Callahan is the guy for the job anymore.