Another Signature Loss

LAHusker

What's it going to take to get this program at the level of USC, LSU, & Florida?

A loss always sucks, but for us, it's worse since we know what this program used to be.

Nebraska Football...R.I.P. 1889-1997

It is going to take a coaching staff the caliber of those programs and a recruiting base akin to theirs as well. At present we have neither. Thus, to expect NU to compete with these top programs is not realistic.

When will this happen --- well when we have a coaching staff and.....

so programs and coaches cant improve...... I guess you dont remember this program before 94......

No, indeed I do remember. Yes coachs do improve and recruiting does as well. the difference in 1980's Husker football (that was really, really good) and 1990's football (that was awesome) was that both had super coaches and the one had good to really good recruits while the other had great recruits.

The current coahing staff may improve (hope so) but it is unlikely that they are a super staff (at least as assembled now --- switch out some assistants now for better ones and maybe you head in that direction). My point is that if the staff stays as it does and the recruiting stays as it is, well then NU will not likely hang with the big dogs.

I disagree, I believe that recruiting is going in the right direction. Westcoast calls for special players, and even those players need time to get in the system. This system will take more time to develope and I know that is hard to swallow as Huskers fans but that's the way it goes for now.

a new coach.

.oklahoma, sc and florida were all bcs 2 years after hiring a new coach.

years to get into a BCS game

PC - 2nd year

meyer- 2nd year

stoops- 2nd year

What's it going to take to get this program at the level of USC, LSU, & Florida?

A loss always sucks, but for us, it's worse since we know what this program used to be.

It is going to take a coaching staff the caliber of those programs and a recruiting base akin to theirs as well. At present we have neither. Thus, to expect NU to compete with these top programs is not realistic.

so programs and coaches cant improve...... I guess you dont remember this program before 94......

No, indeed I do remember. Yes coachs do improve and recruiting does as well. the difference in 1980's Husker football (that was really, really good) and 1990's football (that was awesome) was that both had super coaches and the one had good to really good recruits while the other had great recruits.

The current coahing staff may improve (hope so) but it is unlikely that they are a super staff (at least as assembled now --- switch out some assistants now for better ones and maybe you head in that direction). My point is that if the staff stays as it does and the recruiting stays as it is, well then NU will not likely hang with the big dogs.

I disagree, I believe that recruiting is going in the right direction. Westcoast calls for special players, and even those players need time to get in the system. This system will take more time to develope and I know that is hard to swallow as Huskers fans but that's the way it goes for now.

a new coach.

PC - 2nd year

meyer- 2nd year

stoops- 2nd year

Again, West coast offense calls for special players and those players need time to develope in that offense. USC runs a different type of offense then Nebraska does so take that into consideration.

a new coach.

PC - 2nd year

meyer- 2nd year

stoops- 2nd year

All of those teams were loaded with five star recruits when their respective new coaches arrived. I agree that not having the right players in place is getting old as an excuse, but to be fair, the players recruited by Solich on the offensive side of the ball were pretty weak. It's easy to look great when you always get the best players from the hottest recruiting beds (as with PC and Meyer and even Stoops to some degree).

What makes you really great (as opposed to just looking great) is when you have a recruiting class that doesn't even break the top twenty and those players go undefeated three times and earn three rings as Osborne's class of 1994. Unfortunately every coach that follows Osborne has to try to live up to that level of expectation. He won three national championships as head coach, two more when he was basically running the team under Devanney, and played for three more. Just ask all of the guys who followed John Wooden how tough it is to replace a legend.

Probally not having fans jump ship after a loss to the best team in the nation.

:yeah

I could possibly see that if NU lost to Nevada by the same score people would be jumping ship, but in case you forgot, USC is ranked #1. The loss sucks big time, but the season is not over man!!

I could possibly see that if NU lost to Nevada by the same score people would be jumping ship, but in case you forgot, USC is ranked #1. The loss sucks big time, but the season is not over man!!

I have been saying this all damn day long!

If it takes that special of players to run the WCO, maybe there are not enough special high school players out there to run that complicated offense and if that's the case maybe we shouldn't be trying to running it. Besides it was the defense that let us down last night. JMO

That begs the question---Is this offense just too hard to grasp for teenagers and early 20's kids? It seems impressive when it works, but that seems to be inconsistent at best. Let's face it, a lot of these kids struggle to get their school work done let alone learning some overly complicated offense.

This, of course doesn't cover the defense. It's easy to see we need more speed and intensity. We seem to be lacking guys who will bring the wood.

every loss there are people moaning and complaining. last year we didn't pass enough, well guess what we would have been blown out. this year we opened it up and we still lost (we should always win, were nebraska..right)? Anyways people will always complain.

we don't have the athletes to play with them and win 50 percent of the time. We probably win that game one out of ten times, to win we needed to have one or less turnovers, and have two gamebreaking plays either on special teams or defense. Neither of those things happened.

Don't complain about Callahan and his play calling, or his offense. he put us in the position to have a chance at winning, but we didn't get the big plays we badly needed, added to the fact that we were physicly dominated, lost us the game. the complicated offense doesn't stop our line from getting penetration, or stop us from making anything resembeling a hole.

Pretty much what I've been saying since 1 second after the game expired on Saturday.

I totally understand the sentiment, but would have to disagree slightly with the dates. Due to outstanding recruiting and team building on the part of Osborne....something that even Solich couldn't F-up, the Huskers were actually good all the way to 2001. Remember, we finished 12-1 in 1999 and were a few inches shy of a TD that would have left us undefeated and playing for the National Title. Then we went on to run all over a very good Tennessee team in the Fiesta Bowl and end up #2 in the nation. We were 10-2 in 2000 and finished #7, and we played (although not very well) for the National Championship in 2001 and finished #7 again. That's three straight top ten finishes through 2001. So I would amend your dates.