The Future of Husker Football

bach57

I know that this is wishful thinking and won’t happen, but if we fire Steve Peterson we might be able to get Bo Pelini to come back to Nebraska. He is one of the best coaches in the nation. In his 4 years at LSU he has only had one game where the opposing team has scored 30+. With that type of defense you hardly need an offense. Bo Pelini is dying to get a head coaching job at a big time program. Nebraska needs to act before its to late. Sadly I know this will never happen its just a wish.

wow, Ped trading cally for pelini? when horses can fly, when fish learn to walk, when a frog no longer bumps his ass when he hops.........you get the picture.

Our defense blows and has blown. OSU did the same thing to us last year. It's embarassing. Our O-line is mediocre at best. We have great talent behind center and in the back field and our receivers are great....O AND D LINE NEED RE-VAMPED. PERIOD. That was Osbornes key to success. We never got super kick ass 5 start QB's and RB's and won the national champs...we had an O line that was as big as any NFL teams as well as a D that was unstoppable.

We've reinvented the wheel and it shows. We will not win the north I'm certain of it. Someone up here is going to hand us our ass.

i am curious to hear what people think the future is going to be like.

I'm pretty sure, that because we lost to the #1 team in the country, that they will just do away with the program after this season and concentrate on men's gymnastics.

We lose to USC and we are making judgements on the program's future? Give me a break. Next game.

i am curious to hear what people think the future is going to be like.

I'm pretty sure, that because we lost to the #1 team in the country, that they will just do away with the program after this season and concentrate on men's gymnastics.

We lose to USC and we are making judgements on the program's future? Give me a break. Next game.

Yeah...we almost lost to Wake and should have under the same four plays all day. I wear rose colored glasses but something needs fixed.

WAKE FOREST CMON!

Our defense blows and has blown. OSU did the same thing to us last year. It's embarassing. Our O-line is mediocre at best. We have great talent behind center and in the back field and our receivers are great....O AND D LINE NEED RE-VAMPED. PERIOD. That was Osbornes key to success. We never got super kick ass 5 start QB's and RB's and won the national champs...we had an O line that was as big as any NFL teams as well as a D that was unstoppable.

We've reinvented the wheel and it shows. We will not win the north I'm certain of it. Someone up here is going to hand us our ass.

The one thing we have going for ourselves is that nobody else in the North plays defense either.

I think we're trending in the right direction. USC's offensive and defensive lines were superior to NU's. I thought that, defensively, we schemed well enough to get ONE guy a shot a making a play. I'm sorry, but I'll take SC's running backs one on one against just about anybody's LB's, including LSU's. Offensively, their D-line was big and very fast(very). NU's O-line had it's hands full with SC's D-line, they could'n't even begin to think about blocking a LB. Too much constant pressure started to get to Sam and he rushed a few throws, got out of rhythm. I thought we knocked the ball loose a few times and couldn't jump on it, what are ya gonna do? It's an oval. I still think that after this game, all of the rest will seem slow to the players. We win the north, beat Texas btw, and it's a toss up against OU in B-12 title game. :bonez

Hm, yes, those are some frightening linemen there.

I think Castille will learn the offense much better by the big 12 championship game. Lucky will not start any longer. Our running game will save our team. (as it should) The days of laying down just before you get hit or at the exact same time will end. Defensively..... new coaches next year..... some that can motivate and get results. The last guy that fired up the defense, I believe, left on his own basically. I believe it was a "head coach or nothing" deal with Bo. I will say if we can get a coach that gets a defense to improve like he did in a very short period of time with him, then we will be seriouse contenders.

We'll be in the Big 12 championship this year, but I think we'll lose a close one to Texas. We'll go to the Cotton Bowl and beat Bama.

As for long term, I think by 2009 we'll be competing for a national championship.

We will beat Texas this year. They are struggling big time. I think we play OU agian in the Big 12 championship. I think we are still a few years from a NC type team. We are going to need to get some major talent on defense as well as a better defensive play caller. I think NU should go out a break the bank trying to get a defensive guru in there as coordinator.

Texas is going to turn the jets on starting this weekend. Mark it down. They'll edge OU in a VERY close game (31-28).

I think I feel comfortable with where I think we are right now:

1. Our program is no longer in the elite status

2. Memorial Stadium is not a difficult place to win

3. Our players are not better conditioned, stronger, more disciplined, or tougher

4. Our recruiting has not gotten better (recruiting rankings are a joke... see Notre Dame and Blaine Gabbert's stats)

5. We are no longer feared by anyone, anywhere, especially in our conference

This isn't a knee-jerk reaction to the loss. The game was simply a validation for what we all feared. Simply put, I'm no longer in a state of denial.

If I hear that debate centered around the West Coast offense and Callahan getting "his" players one more time, I going to lose it. We are getting dominated because we have not gotten o-line or defensive play like we expect. If you are going to build a team from the ground-up, you have to start with defense. The recruiting ranking are a joke as well, Mike Brown, Jared Tomich, Grant Wistrom, Ed Stewart, Baron Miles.. where they all Parade All-Americans? Both Carrol and Stoops are defensive guys who brought in fresh Offensive minds. Callahan is an offensive mind that brought in tired defensive guys from the Big Ten. Wisconsin no less... Not to mention Pederson and Callahan showing Bo Pellini to the door. Seriously, if we lost every game 3-0 I would feel 100x better than I do right now, because we would at least have something to build on.

I'd put our program at the level of Mizzou/KState... We win when we are heavily favored, we lose at least 1 game a year to a team we should definitely have beaten, and we constantly look for a signature win that never materializes. I live in Missouri, believe me, I recognize the pattern. Speaking of Mizzou, anyone see how they are lining up Macklin to run the end around/reverse type plays. Judging from the last two games, that should work.

bingo. I think with last years D-line we would have made it a game. we still need help with the o-line I think both area are a ways a way. atleast 2 years unless we pull some big time recruits(like kuli and thompson)

I think I feel comfortable with where I think we are right now:

1. Our program is no longer in the elite status

2. Memorial Stadium is not a difficult place to win

Wll...Lincoln was a tough place for #5 Texas to get a win last year. For all intents and purposes they lost. And I dont think there is a place on the planet that's tough for this USC team to get a win. We'll see how they do against PAC-10 opponents. Those are the only two home losses in 06 and 07.

Also, I don't see how you can say our recruiting classes aren't getting better. Maybe we're not rivaling USC for recruits and maybe all those recruiting rankings are worthless, but I'll take the incoming classes we have now over the ones we had 3-4 years ago.

I'm frustrated we no longer have "elite status" too, but you can't expect to turn a program around from where this one was in 2002-2004 in a matter of a few years. Competition for recruits is more intense than ever. I know I sound like Bill Callahan, but as long as we stay headed in the right direction, I'm confident that in less than five years we can be back to elite status.

We'll be in the Big 12 championship this year, but I think we'll lose a close one to Texas. We'll go to the Cotton Bowl and beat Bama.

As for long term, I think by 2009 we'll be competing for a national championship.

Sorry to sound like a homer, but Texas will not win the South. I think you know what that means. I think Nebraska wins the North, and has a shot at beating OU in the championship game. However, I think they lose a close one and go on to a major bowl.