Callahan's NFL mindset

np_husker

The fact that Nebraska doesn't practice in pads during the season was probably a big surprise to most Husker fans, it certainly was to me. It sounds like most college programs do practice in pads at least once a week during the season, but NFL teams do not, so Callahan must have brought this idea with him to Nebraska from the NFL.

My question is this... is Callahan a college coach or in his mind is he still an NFL coach? I just wonder if his NFL mentality is fit for the college game.

I think the key is for him to adjust his NFL mentality to the college game. He seems to be doing that with moderate success in terms of building the offense. Although in a previous thread I've raised the point that maybe he should use different RBs depending on the defense we're facing (smaller/faster D=Glenn/Castille; bigger/slower D=Lucky). He seems dedicated to the NFL archetype of having one feature back that can do everything. Not the case at the college level.

On the Defensive side of the ball he seems to have given much less thought to adapting. I think the defensive side of the ball is where there is the greatest disparity between NFL and college talent. In the NFL defenders are all rediculously strong and fast. In college, guys need to practice in full pads and get used to bringing people down. I was also surprised Nebraska wasn't doing this already.

He definately needs to get over the NFL mindset. You have to practice in pads at some point. In the NFL guys may be able to throw the "switch" come sunday. However i think we have seen, that in the college game you have to keep up the intensity or you lose that tangible "it". The players in college are still developing and need to continue working on the fundamentals. Hence the need for some full contact during the week.

The fact that Nebraska doesn't practice in pads during the season was probably a big surprise to most Husker fans, it certainly was to me. It sounds like most college programs do practice in pads at least once a week during the season, but NFL teams do not, so Callahan must have brought this idea with him to Nebraska from the NFL.

My question is this... is Callahan a college coach or in his mind is he still an NFL coach? I just wonder if his NFL mentality is fit for the college game.

my opinion for what it is worth. some of the stuff he brings is fine, some probably has little value at all.

my biggest gripe is he is obsessed with too many shifts, formations, etc. instead of working on the successful execution of a core group of plays.

Charlie Weiss said it best, you get down the basics to the point they are automatic and THEN you build from there. i am not sure basic tackling, coverages and responsibilities have been taught, maybe to a higher degree on the offensive side of the ball, but on the defensive side, quite frankly our guys look lost and confused most of the time. Coz is guilty of the same thing as well. i could go on, but it is pointless. the kids need help and leadership! good coaches provide that.

He definately needs to get over the NFL mindset. You have to practice in pads at some point. In the NFL guys may be able to throw the "switch" come sunday. However i think we have seen, that in the college game you have to keep up the intensity or you lose that tangible "it". The players in college are still developing and need to continue working on the fundamentals. Hence the need for some full contact during the week.

Let me clarify the NFL mindset that he needs to get over, is that these guys can turn the switch after a week layoff. Pros.....yes, College athletes, most of which dont go pro........no.

LOL.....been beating this drum for 3 years.....LOL

I can't imagine someone really thinks his style might not work and he might not be the right coach.

:sarcasm

if you don't know how I feel yet I thought he was, is and will be bad for this program if we want to win and compete at a top level.

His issue in the NFL was that he couldn't adjust during the game. He could get by on talent there his first year then he won only 4 games after going to the super bowl...then we hire him. The truth is he has always been an NFL guy and that is where he belongs.

Actually, in a recent OWH (I think) article, it was said that this was the first time under Callahan's tenure here that he hasn't done full-pads practicing during the season. In other words, this was not the case last year, or the year before, or the year before that. It's not known why this is the case.

So I'm really sure you've been beating your drum for three years about his NFL mindset with regard to practicing in pads in season, which is what this is about.

This just occurred to me:

How much do you think that BC's NFL approach attracts recruits who are looking to play in the pros eventually? I think this may be one of his recruiting advantages. Although if it means the staff doesn't get fundamentals and execution down it's like robbing Peter to pay Paul because the team can't win consistently and those players can't put up the numbers or get the kind of attention that gets them drafted.

LOL.....been beating this drum for 3 years.....LOL

I can't imagine someone really thinks his style might not work and he might not be the right coach.

:sarcasm

if you don't know how I feel yet I thought he was, is and will be bad for this program if we want to win and compete at a top level.

His issue in the NFL was that he couldn't adjust during the game. He could get by on talent there his first year then he won only 4 games after going to the super bowl...then we hire him. The truth is he has always been an NFL guy and that is where he belongs.

In no way am I saying Cally is the wrong guy for the job, and i dont think that is what the original poster was implying either. There is obviously a learning curve. I think Cally may have assumed his players can do without contact, however no college team is good enough to go without contact. Not even USC. The players are simply still developing and still need the contact to learn and get better.

Actually, in a recent OWH (I think) article, it was said that this was the first time under Callahan's tenure here that he hasn't done full-pads practicing during the season. In other words, this was not the case last year, or the year before, or the year before that. It's not known why this is the case.

So I'm really sure you've been beating your drum for three years about his NFL mindset with regard to practicing in pads in season, which is what this is about.

That he is the wrong coach and belongs in the NFL where is mindset is. The overall mindset about his reasons for not using pads. NFL MINDSET was the actual question: re-read the post please. Does his mindset suit the college game???????

I guess I didn't give much info as to what I think about Callahan in my original post on this thread, but here it is, for what it's worth...

I'll just say it (and in no way does this mean I am not a true fan, lets make that clear), I do not think Callahan is a college coach, not only at NU, but anywhere. He doesn't have the passion or command the respect from the kids he's coaching. Pete Carroll has it, Callahan does not. No, Osborne was not a rah rah sort of guy, but he could walk into a kids living room and instantly command respect, he didn't have to dangle the carrot of the NFL in front of them like Callahan does. Yeah, that carrot may bring some highly rated recruits to NU, but so far it's doing little good.

The fact is, some coaches are suited for the NFL and others for college.

I guess I didn't give much info as to what I think about Callahan in my original post on this thread, but here it is, for what it's worth...

I'll just say it (and in no way does this mean I am not a true fan, lets make that clear), I do not think Callahan is a college coach, not only at NU, but anywhere. He doesn't have the passion or command the respect from the kids he's coaching. Pete Carroll has it, Callahan does not. No, Osborne was not a rah rah sort of guy, but he could walk into a kids living room and instantly command respect, he didn't have to dangle the carrot of the NFL in front of them like Callahan does. Yeah, that carrot may bring some highly rated recruits to NU, but so far it's doing little good.

The fact is, some coaches are suited for the NFL and others for college.

Ok so I DID answer to your post correctly......THANK YOU. It was obvious though, you just needed to read the part where you said, "so my question is.." I agree NP, but don't expect clear vision to prevail