At what point COULD Callahan be in jeopardy after this season?

I hate to be pessimistic, but just assuming for a moment that Nebraska suffers lopsided losses at Mizzoo and Texas, loses a tight one to either KSU or KU, misses the Big 12 North, and gets invited to the Independence Bowl...

Do Callahan & Company return for 08?

BTW, I think the above scenario is a distinct possibility, as bad as I hate it.

For Billy to get the axe, it would almost require him to lose every game from here on out. I don't see that happening. They let him have a losing season already... so I guess that set the bar.

/*Barring a No-Bowl season callahan will be here through his extension and probably get another.

The real question is the defensive staff. If they don't start looking drastically better I could definitely see some changes in the defensive staff this off-season. I would say that Coz should be fired, but I'm not sure if Cally will let that happen, or if Ped has the balls to do it.

We will probably see some new faces in our Defensive staff next year.. and will probably be stuck with a mediocre defense at least for the next couple seasons unless by some miracle Ped steps up and makes a change at Defensive Coordinator, and get's us someone good (no big-10 reject again).

As I said in another post. If we don't blowout Ball state this weekend and Turner Gill and company at UB do well enough to win against Ball State the week after they play us then it's pretty much game over for BC which in my opinion would be a shame.

No way, not with the recruiting class BC is bringing in next year. He'd have to go sub-.500 to be at any risk at all. Even then I think it would only involve an overturn of our coordinators, assistants, and position coaches.

BC is doing an excellent job recruiting and I'm glad he's in Lincoln. You cold make a case for Coz, but BC is doing his job.

i agree recruiting is KEY right now and BC is doing a great job

Where are these great recruits and why aren't they playing?

There is an adage that for every freshman you have starting, you get 1 loss. There is a reason very few freshman start on good teams. They may have the ability, but they do not have the experience.

I don't want to see Callahan fired because of the long term harm it will do to the program, but having said that, it takes more than just good recruiting to make a good coach. We have yet to see results from his highly ranked recruits coming to NU. That's how Callahan will ultimately be judged as a college coach, what he does with those recruits.

Especially in an offense this complex...

Castille's getting reps though, and Culbert got some carries against Nevada...

But look at USC for example, with all the talent in their recruiting classes, McKnight's only been given a couple carries, they don't play a lot of true freshmen...

They play whoever is the most talented. Right now it's a true frosh center, RS frosh receiver and a true soph tailback who was a true frosh playing a lot last year. I don't think frosh should start unless they are exceptional but they should get more reps that we give them.

Okay, how about they play who they have to play if injuries take down the guy in front of the true frosh center, and their go to guy is a junior receiver, and they have about a million tailbacks, of which the true sophomore happened to break through and shine? They rode on a junior tailback for much of last year, and they've got a highly touted true frosh tailback who has not been getting a whole lot of playing time.