Lucky is an average back

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker B @ Sep 23 2007, 03:30 PM) 221053[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

he...will most likely be in the running for the heisman next yr.

What brings you to this conclusion? Other than the one good game against Nevada he hasn't done jack.

There's no way he can hang with P.J. Hill, Steve Slaton (if he stays) or Percy Harvin/Tim Tebow

Trust me man he will be killin it next yr..He's a 5 star athlete he does almost everything for us when we need it most.

BTW i didnt say he wud win it but that he will be in the running..

Marlon Lucky, to me, is better suited to be an interior receiver than a running back. Sounds odd? maybe. but hear me out. Lucky, when he has three unimpeded steps (some open field) is quite fast and has some good vision (when he is in the open). He has good hands and is very dangerous in space. Where he is less than stellar is when he has to follow a blocker in traffic. he struggles hitting the hole. He is not very physical. His first two steps are average (in terms of quickness). But after the third step he accelerates very, very well. Fast but not quick.

Take a close look at his runs and receptions --- if he starts in traffic, he typically goes nowhere. When he has some space he can then create and make good things happen (of course all players are like that to a degree --- but Lucky does not have a knack for finding a hole, waiting for a block or for YAC --- yet he is dangerous in space).

So, if he makes it to the NFL, watch and do not be suprised if he is used as an interior receiver rather than a back. Or, at the very least you'll see him used as a situational back catching passes in space coming out of the backfield.

Lucky is clearly better than average as a college RB. Perhaps quite a bit better. Still, he is not even close to a Heisman guy. His future, if there is an NFL future for him, will be in catching passes not in seeking a crease in the line as a RB.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker B @ Sep 23 2007, 03:30 PM) 221053[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

he...will most likely be in the running for the heisman next yr.

What brings you to this conclusion? Other than the one good game against Nevada he hasn't done jack.

There's no way he can hang with P.J. Hill, Steve Slaton (if he stays) or Percy Harvin/Tim Tebow

Trust me man he will be killin it next yr..He's a 5 star athlete he does almost everything for us when we need it most.

BTW i didnt say he wud win it but that he will be in the running..

Marlon Lucky, to me, is better suited to be an interior receiver than a running back. Sounds odd? maybe. but hear me out. Lucky, when he has three unimpeded steps (some open field) is quite fast and has some good vision (when he is in the open). He has good hands and is very dangerous in space. Where he is less than stellar is when he has to follow a blocker in traffic. he struggles hitting the hole. He is not very physical. His first two steps are average (in terms of quickness). But after the third step he accelerates very, very well. Fast but not quick.

Take a close look at his runs and receptions --- if he starts in traffic, he typically goes nowhere. When he has some space he can then create and make good things happen (of course all players are like that to a degree --- but Lucky does not have a knack for finding a hole, waiting for a block or for YAC --- yet he is dangerous in space).

So, if he makes it to the NFL, watch and do not be suprised if he is used as an interior receiver rather than a back. Or, at the very least you'll see him used as a situational back catching passes in space coming out of the backfield.

Lucky is clearly better than average as a college RB. Perhaps quite a bit better. Still, he is not even close to a Heisman guy. His future, if there is an NFL future for him, will be in catching passes not in seeking a crease in the line as a RB.

say what u want i have my opinions and u hav urs.. he is a dangerous player no matter what

I don't think any Nebraska RB will be in the running for the Heisman until our O-Line gets a little better at the run-block.

Agreed.

Also, when was it that the last legitimate heisman candidate came from a school that was unranked, or fringe top 25? By and large, the heisman will go to a great player from a competitive team --- a top 5 or top 10 team. Perhaps I am wrong here, but has there ever been a heisman winner from a team that finished the season unranked? Has there been a winner even from a team ranked, say # 16 - 25 in a given year at seasons end?

My point here is that no matter how good a player is, his team better be pretty good too or there is no chance.

So, until NU becomes a program that is ranked at seasons end, forget heisman stuff for anyone in red.

Has there been a winner even from a team ranked, say # 16 - 25 in a given year at seasons end?

I can't think of one. There very well could be some in there, as a LOT of Heisman's have been given out, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'm sure everyone can agree that typically your team needs to be competing well in the national arena for you to have any chance of winning a Heisman.

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Sep 23 2007, 03:20 PM) 221074[/snapback]

I think Tomlinson was i nthe top 4 not too long ago when TCU wasnt in the top 25, but thats the only person I can think of even being close in modern times.

What was Houston ranked when Klingler and Ware won it?

Good points on the Houston people. As for Tomlinson --- man what a player! I also have not looked back for where OSU was when Sanders won. there too, wow what a player. Maybe i should modify my earlier statement --- typically to be heisman stuff your team better be good --- unless you are barry Sanders or LT!

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Sep 23 2007, 04:20 PM) 221074[/snapback]

I think Tomlinson was i nthe top 4 not too long ago when TCU wasnt in the top 25, but thats the only person I can think of even being close in modern times.

Klingler didn't win the Heisman and UH was 9-2 when Ware won the trophy.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker B @ Sep 23 2007, 04:20 PM) 221074[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Klingler didn't win the Heisman and UH was 9-2 when Ware won the trophy.

For some reason, I thought Klingler did. Well anyways, I guess that just confirms the previous theory

Ahem...Troy Davis was second in the Heisman voting on a 2-9 Iowa State team in 1996.

Damn, well I knew there had to be some out there. That's an exception to the rule, though. And it's not just about hype and publicity...typically if your team is sucking, you're usually not getting enough help to throw up the huge stats you need to be a true Heisman contender.

Heisman talk... why?

Lucky is not average, the line is. It's their job to create a crease or hole. It's not happening. And if Lucky isnt one of the top ten backs in the nation, then stop believing the hype that misleads you through the recruiting process. I'm okay with him. He's definately not the best, but for an overall back, he's above "average".