The Politics of Nebraska Football 2007

thiems

-----THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED OF THE NATIONAL POLITICAL COMMENTS------

There used to be the Sea of Red. Now we boo.

There used to be an unstoppable running game. Now we struggle at best.

There used to be an impenetrable defense. Now the only thing that stops Running Backs is the End Zone.

There used to be RESPECT. Not anymore.

There used to be INTEGRITY. Not anymore.

There used to be FOOTBALL. Just FOOTBALL. Not anymore.

Now we have Politics.

I am red, through thick and thin, I am red. I am not on a bandwagon to Fire Everyone. Although some changes need to be made. I am not giving up on Big Red. I am however posing a question. More of a theory, looking for opinions.

When will the politics that were brought here by Steve Pedersen stop ruining Nebraska Football?

AT WHAT POINT DOES SOMEBODY (HARVEY PERLMAN?) SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! WERE ARE THE REGENTS? WERE ARE THE BOOSTERS? WHERE ARE THE CHECKS AND BALANCES?!?!?!?

Nebraska is a laughing stock!

Pedersen hires Callahan, who hires Jay Norvell, John Blake, Scott Downing, Shawn Watson, Kevin Cosgrove, Ted Gilmore, Buddy Wyatt, Joe Rudolph, Bill Busch, Dennis Wagner, Phil Elmassian, Randy Jordon. (Some no longer here), ALL FRIENDS.

ALL UNDER QUALIFIED BY WHAT USED TO BE NEBRASKA STANDARDS.

BIGGEST LOSSES: Bo Pelini, Turner Gill, Ron Brown. ALL QUALIFIED NU COACHES.

IS NO ONE ELSE CURIOUS ABOUT WHY NOBODY GETS QUESTIONED ANYMORE.

Callahan was a 4th choice at best, gives his friends important positions, changes our offense (completely unnecessary), then throws our players out on the field unprepared. With an overly complex system - offense and defense.

:boxosoap

IF YOU READ THIS -- THANK YOU.

LET HARVEY KNOW YOUR DISPLEASURE FOR STEVE PEDERSEN AND THE POLITICS HE'S BROUGHT: hperlman1@unl.edu

GO BIG RED. GO BIG RED. GO BIG RED.

------------------------------------------

The point is not, "who is or is not qualified". The point is not my political views. THE POINT IS: THINGS ARE HAPPENING IN NEBRASKA SPORTS, FOOTBALL IN SPECIFIC THAT NOBODY IS QUESTIONING. Eveybody is mad, but nobody is asking questions!

My post is not meant for commenting, it is a statement. WHERE IS HARVEY, THE REGENTS, THE BOOSTERS?

How are Pedey and Cally getting extensions -- EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVEN'T PROVED ANYTHING!

I DON'T THINK WE SHOULD FIRE CALLAHAN, I DON'T WANT THIS PROGRAM SET BACK EVEN FURTHER. I DO FEEL THAT COSGROVE MUST GO BY SEASON'S END. In any REAL profession - if you fail at your job (which Coz has over and over - at Wisconsin and Nebraska) - you get FIRED.

Steps to Repairing Nebraska Football:

1. Fire Coz

2. Work out like MOST College teams - Full pads 2-3 days a week. Back to Basics.

3. GET THE SWAGGER BACK. Confidence --> Where did it go?

4. Get back in the weight room for the love of Tom! We get overpowered.

5. CHANGE THE F'N TUNNEL WALK - IT SUCKS

There used to be an impenetrable defense. Now the only thing that stops Running Backs is the End Zone.

Now we have Politics.

I am red, through thick and thin, I am red. I am not on a bandwagon to Fire Everyone. Although some changes need to be made. I am not giving up on Big Red. I am however posing a question. More of a theory, looking for opinions.

When will the politics that were brought here by Steve Pedersen stop ruining Nebraska Football?

AT WHAT POINT DOES SOMEBODY (HARVEY PERLMAN?) SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! WERE ARE THE REGENTS? WERE ARE THE BOOSTERS? WHERE ARE THE CHECKS AND BALANCES?!?!?!?

Although, I am a military man of twenty years, and believe following your CC to the end, so we will end that there for now, and just relate my reply to your analogy.

You are correct Sir about the politics. What has happened to Nebraska football is a travesty, solely the responsibility of the president and he has got to react and not sit idley by and succumb to no pressure. This is not something we can just let fester in the hay and wait to see if it materializing like a needle in a haystack, just wont happen.

I love Husker football with my heart and soul, we are not headed in the right direction and a change is necessary now not later.

Pedersen hires Callahan, who hires Jay Norvell, John Blake, Scott Downing, Shawn Watson, Kevin Cosgrove, Ted Gilmore, Buddy Wyatt, Joe Rudolph, Bill Busch, Dennis Wagner, Phil Elmassian, Randy Jordon. (Some no longer here), ALL FRIENDS.

----I AM IN NO WAY COMPARING THIS TO THE WAR IN IRAQ----THIS IS A SIMPLE ANALOGY----

Bush wins an election (by cheating in Florida), gives his friends important positions, sends us to war, then keeps our soldiers over there fighting for what?

Callahan was a 4th choice at best, gives his friends important positions, changes our offense (completely unnecessary), then throws our players out on the field unprepared.

SEE THE CONNECTION -- IT'S POLITICS!

Again, this was an analogy to prove a point regarding politics. What is happening in our nation right now is as disgusting as what is happening in Husker Nation on a much more important scale.

I don't support the war, just like I don't support what Pedersen is doing to the Football Program. But I do support the soldiers, just like I support the players! GO BIG RED.

LET HARVEY KNOW YOUR DISPLEASURE FOR STEVE PEDERSEN AND THE POLITICS HE'S BROUGHT: hperlman1@unl.edu

Pelini threw his things in his truck and sped off once he knew he didn't get the HC job.

Im not sure Gilmore was a "friend." The WRs have said they've learned more from gilmore in a few weeks than in 2 years from Gill. Granted, Gill was out of his arena coaching WRs.

Brown coached the WRs to block, rather than to run crisp routes and get seperation. While a high charcter guy, I'm not so sure Brown should've been kept in that posiiton. However, a guy of that kind of integrity would be an asset to any program.

Bush wins an election (by cheating in Florida), gives his friends important positions, sends us to war, then keeps our soldiers over there fighting for what?

Please keep your Political Views to yourself. If you think that Bush Stuffed the ballot box and he cheated, then I have some nice land in Siberia that I would like to sell you. We will call it "beach front"property.

Please keep your Political Views to yourself. If you think that Bush Stuffed the ballot box and he cheated, then I have some nice land in Siberia that I would like to sell you. We will call it "beach front"property.

:yeah

Now we have Politics.

Although, I am a military man of twenty years, and believe following your CC to the end, so we will end that there for now, and just relate my reply to your analogy.

You are correct Sir about the politics. What has happened to Nebraska football is a travesty, solely the responsibility of the president and he has got to react and not sit idley by and succumb to no pressure. This is not something we can just let fester in the hay and wait to see if it materializing like a needle in a haystack, just wont happen.

I love Husker football with my heart and soul, we are not headed in the right direction and a change is necessary now not later.

----I AM IN NO WAY COMPARING THIS TO THE WAR IN IRAQ----THIS IS A SIMPLE ANALOGY----

Callahan was a 4th choice at best, gives his friends important positions, changes our offense (completely unnecessary), then throws our players out on the field unprepared.

SEE THE CONNECTION -- IT'S POLITICS!

Again, this was an analogy to prove a point regarding politics. What is happening in our nation right now is as disgusting as what is happening in Husker Nation on a much more important scale.

I don't support the war, just like I don't support what Pedersen is doing to the Football Program. But I do support the soldiers, just like I support the players! GO BIG RED.

Great post.

You are so correct, where is the outcry?

Pederson was the turning point. Again, it is human nature not to admit mistakes. To remove Pederson (and in turn the football staff) may be the right thing to do --- perhaps the only thing to stop the hemorrhaging. But doing so would require the NU upper administration to admit that they erred in hiring Pederson in the first place. The problem is that Nebraska is now an afterthought in college athletics (as a whole --- with Volleyball and a few other less-popular sports as an exception) and regarding football are worse than an afterthought --- it would be better if NU football were completely ignored at the national level (it is nearly totally ignored) --- because when it is mentioned it is as the brunt of jokes.

The NU athletic program is done. The football program irrelevant (save for its comic relief).

I love this school, this state, its people and the NU fans and traditions. It is a sad day when what has made NU great has crumbled to the ground and the NU administration seemingly watches and does not respond.

Until action is taken, NU sports are dead. And, you are right, it is political. And it is tragic.

:yeah

Dont taze me bro

shawn watson is UNDER QUALIFIED? what about john blake?? are you kidding?

gill left on his own free will, and I believe brown did as well(to take over nebraska FCA)

I DID NOT SAY UNDER QUALIFIED (PERIOD). I said "under qualified by what used to be NU standards". I like Watson, I think he is doing a fine job (minus the whole rushing fiasco we have). We used to be the best because WE GOT COACHED BY THE BEST. Tom made buddies after the hire, not hires because they are buddies.

WE NEED GREAT COACHES TO BE GREAT.

Right now we have Mediocrity. Thanks Pedey.

shawn watson is UNDER QUALIFIED? what about john blake?? are you kidding?

gill left on his own free will, and I believe brown did as well(to take over nebraska FCA)

I DID NOT SAY UNDER QUALIFIED (PERIOD). I said "under qualified by what used to be NU standards". I like Watson, I think he is doing a fine job (minus the whole rushing fiasco we have). We used to be the best because WE GOT COACHED BY THE BEST. Tom made buddies after the hire, not hires because they are buddies.

WE NEED GREAT COACHES TO BE GREAT.

Right now we have Mediocrity. Thanks Pedey.

ok...to say they are underqualified by our standards is still absurd.

-----THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED OF THE NATIONAL POLITICAL COMMENTS------

Now we have Politics.

Callahan was a 4th choice at best, gives his friends important positions, changes our offense (completely unnecessary), then throws our players out on the field unprepared. With an overly complex system - offense and defense.

The point is not, "who is or is not qualified". The point is not my political views. THE POINT IS: THINGS ARE HAPPENING IN NEBRASKA SPORTS, FOOTBALL IN SPECIFIC THAT NOBODY IS QUESTIONING. Eveybody is mad, but nobody is asking questions!

My post is not meant for commenting, it is a statement. WHERE IS HARVEY, THE REGENTS, THE BOOSTERS?

How are Pedey and Cally getting extensions -- EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVEN'T PROVED ANYTHING!

I DON'T THINK WE SHOULD FIRE CALLAHAN, I DON'T WANT THIS PROGRAM SET BACK EVEN FURTHER. I DO FEEL THAT COSGROVE MUST GO BY SEASON'S END. In any REAL profession - if you fail at your job (which Coz has over and over - at Wisconsin and Nebraska) - you get FIRED.

Steps to Repairing Nebraska Football:

1. Fire Coz

2. Work out like MOST College teams - Full pads 2-3 days a week. Back to Basics.

3. GET THE SWAGGER BACK. Confidence --> Where did it go?

4. Get back in the weight room for the love of Tom! We get overpowered.

5. CHANGE THE F'N TUNNEL WALK - IT SUCKS

one small probelm, cally was given complete control of the coaching hires (as would any incoming coach), but he failed, in my opinion, to retain some of what was working (coaches you pointed out that were let go)

and some small part of a former identity of this team. i think that backfired on him, in a big way!

what we have or don't have as far as coaches, is a direct reflection on callahan. i strongly believe Coz will go at the end of the season, but whoever the new D coordinator may be, i would like to see HIM hand pick his guys and cally stay out of it completely!