Team Morale

With all the criticism, booing, etc. flying around between fans and players I hope we're not getting into a situation where low morale will adversely affect the season. Does the Husker's program provide counseling for the players on how to deal with the press and fans? These kids need to understand that they are in the limelight and like it or not, right or wrong, fair or not they are going to get criticized and praised. Whether you think booing, name calling, venting frustration is ok or not it is going to happen. The kids need to realize this comes with the territory and know how to deal with it. If they're smart they wouldn't be checking out message boards. Keller has been a good example on how to handle the public; measured words, always positive, forward looking, never criticize others, etc. etc. He's smart and cool. Grixby has taken huge heat and I don't recall him airing out his frustration in public, but you know he's had to deal with it. I'm a little surprised at some of the comments coming out in print. It's counter-productive and potentially destructive to the morale of the team. It cannot do any good for players to get in pi$$ing matches with the fans. I hope it doesn't send them into a tailspin. Just my thoughts.

I wonder about the morale of the Pinkshirts. Some of McKeon's comments were really shocking. He genuinely appears to be a beaten person. That really bothers me.

This is really a turning point in the program's history. It might be time to turn the reins over to the young kids, and make this their defense.

That may be hard for McKeon and Ruud and Green and Grixby to swallow, but it has to happen.

I don't think the fans would have booed had the defense actually looked like they were trying. Win or lose, if you actually play your ass off and leave it all on the field, I don't think fans want anything more. That's all they need to know.

You don't have to be a former player or an NFL scout to know when a player is half-assing it.

And that's what it pretty much boils down to for me anyway. Had the D looked effective against USC, the loss wouldn't have stung as bad. Had the D played great against Ball St but Ball St came to play and played well, there wouldn't have been any problems. But the D was nowhere to be found during both games. And that's what I think most fans have heartburn with.

In the face of adversity you have to rise up to the occasion and show people why you have the position that you have. I think the defense is going to answer the call.................well at least I hope so.

How about this one:

"Life is full of peaks and valleys. In the valleys you find out what you are made of...at the peaks you discover who you really are."

I don't know who said it, or maybe I made it up, but I love that.

I wonder about the morale of the Pinkshirts. Some of McKeon's comments were really shocking. He genuinely appears to be a beaten person. That really bothers me.

This is really a turning point in the program's history. It might be time to turn the reins over to the young kids, and make this their defense.

That may be hard for McKeon and Ruud and Green and Grixby to swallow, but it has to happen.

Do you suppose that calling the unit he plays for the "pinkshirts" and having all over the internet massive vitriol and venom against the defense and McKeon in particular has perhaps contributed to his defeated attitude (assuming he has such an attitude).

We fans have been the 12th man --- for the opposition. People like you have thrown a bunch of kids under the bus and publicly humiliated them on the internet.

The best fans in the world have shown themselves to be just as pathetic as the fans from anywhere else.

That the team is struggling is an issue. That the fans have become so ugly is a tragedy.

I think there's more to it than coping with adversity. Everyone has to do that. There's the whole new issue of intense scrutiny sometimes called "fame." For most people there's not much in life that prepares one for being under the microscope. Most of us never have to deal with it on a big scale. People crash and burn over it all the time. Others are better at handling it. I just think we've recently seen a couple indicators that players, or at least a couple of them, are not really prepared to deal with it. I've heard some teams actually put kids through training on how to handle the public and press.

Do you suppose that calling the unit he plays for the "pinkshirts" and having all over the internet massive vitriol and venom against the defense and McKeon in particular has perhaps contributed to his defeated attitude (assuming he has such an attitude).

We fans have been the 12th man --- for the opposition. People like you have thrown a bunch of kids under the bus and publicly humiliated them on the internet.

The best fans in the world have shown themselves to be just as pathetic as the fans from anywhere else.

That the team is struggling is an issue. That the fans have become so ugly is a tragedy.

You guys are illustrating my point.

I don't think the fans would have booed had the defense actually looked like they were trying. Win or lose, if you actually play your ass off and leave it all on the field, I don't think fans want anything more. That's all they need to know.

You don't have to be a former player or an NFL scout to know when a player is half-assing it.

And that's what it pretty much boils down to for me anyway. Had the D looked effective against USC, the loss wouldn't have stung as bad. Had the D played great against Ball St but Ball St came to play and played well, there wouldn't have been any problems. But the D was nowhere to be found during both games. And that's what I think most fans have heartburn with.

Agreed, though I'll do you one better and say if we had even any semblance of defense, we would have taken that game from USC.

What I as a fan find most upsetting is the fact that McK and probably others on the D seem to think that it's ok for them to give up tons of yards, as long as the O does the job we can win the game.

A lot of fans devote a lot of time, money, emotion to this program and then to hear that player(s) don't seem to care as much as we thought they did... it's very upsetting.

With all the criticism, booing, etc. flying around between fans and players I hope we're not getting into a situation where low morale will adversely affect the season. Does the Husker's program provide counseling for the players on how to deal with the press and fans? These kids need to understand that they are in the limelight and like it or not, right or wrong, fair or not they are going to get criticized and praised. Whether you think booing, name calling, venting frustration is ok or not it is going to happen. The kids need to realize this comes with the territory and know how to deal with it. If they're smart they wouldn't be checking out message boards. Keller has been a good example on how to handle the public; measured words, always positive, forward looking, never criticize others, etc. etc. He's smart and cool. Grixby has taken huge heat and I don't recall him airing out his frustration in public, but you know he's had to deal with it. I'm a little surprised at some of the comments coming out in print. It's counter-productive and potentially destructive to the morale of the team. It cannot do any good for players to get in pi$$ing matches with the fans. I hope it doesn't send them into a tailspin. Just my thoughts.

The only counseling they need is the counseling of a kick in the ass. Start playing football. The last thing we need is a 'blackshirt' defense (allegedly the most feared and ferocious defense in the nation) to sit around talking about their feelings and holding hands. The only feeling any of them should be feeling right now is ungodly fury––at themselves, at what they're doing to their image and our tradition. With McKeon crying about how hard everything is and how he's not having any fun, I think the tail dun spun. We'll see what happens this weekend, but a loss to ISU wouldn't surprise me in the least. I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't be falling off the couch if it did.

X

What I as a fan find most upsetting is the fact that McK and probably others on the D seem to think that it's ok for them to give up tons of yards, as long as the O does the job we can win the game.

A lot of fans devote a lot of time, money, emotion to this program and then to hear that player(s) don't seem to care as much as we thought they did... it's very upsetting.

I tell you what it makes me want to do..................it makes me want to try out for the team so some f'ing desire can be in the defense somewhere!!!!

Listen to McKeon's comments...the greatest fans in the world are becoming a distraction to the team. For shame!

This is more along the lines of what's concerning me. The players shouldn't be focusing on what the fans do and say. They need to go out there and do their best regardless. If morale is being affected or they're spending time trying to explain to the press the problems we'll end up losing to ISU or something. The coaches may have to spend time just getting everyone's heads back in the game.

To look at this board you couldn't even tell we have a game this weekend, i.e., with all the obsession about Ball State and the defensive problems. That better not be where any players head is at.