Iowa State Recap

Husker_x

I was able to attend this game, the first time I've been in Memorial Stadium for a long time. It was a fun game to watch, and there was plenty of excitment. My particular portion of the stadium was pretty quiet (except for me and a few other guys), but it was a blast anyway.

Now, on to the meat:

1) Offense. Once again we've got another solid game from Keller. This man is just a solid, solid football player. They made a mistake having him throw two deep balls in the first quarter––the second was intercepted––but otherwise you can't ask for much more than what he's been giving us. Yes, the wideouts dropped a couple, but watching from the stands it wasn't as bad as I've heard some make it out. Hardy had a pretty poor catch that should have been a monster gain, and there were a few tough ones that Keller threw behind the receivers, low balls, etc. The Lucky fumble was just a freak thing that happened. He was trying to stretch out to get the TD but he was falling forward on another guy so his knee never hit the turf. For a second there I thought he had broke the plain but he was an inch or two shy. Otherwise good pass blocking, ho-hum run blocking, and the run game in general could use improvement. I'm not a big Lucky fan at all. On Castille's one carry on 3rd and one they opted to do some new-fangled toss play instead of just letting him get the first down. Q has the power to bully someone for a yard, Lucky doesn't. End of story.

2) Defense. To be honest I'm not even sure what to say. At times it was inspired defense. Lots of TFLs, sacks, and hurries against an O-line which had previously only given up 3 sacks in four games (one of which against Iowa who has a pretty good front four led by Mitch King). The slant pass is a hard to defend, sink or swim kind of play. They threw it a lot, and completed many. However it also cost them 2 interceptions, I believe. At the end of the day I don't care how many yards a D gives up as long as there are only 17 points to show for a 105 snaps. Were it not for some avoidable turnovers in the first quarter, this game could have gotten more ugly than it did.

3) Special teams. This portion of our game is just shining so far this season. Grixby has turned into a great little returner, and a couple times he was a unicorn fart away from going to the house. Adi had a kickoff go through the uprights AGAINST THE WIND. It came towards my endzone, and wow, you should have heard the cheers. Coverages were for the most part spectacular. ISU had medium to lousy field position for most of the game.

4) Grixby. If you had told me #2 was going to be playing like this last year, I would have laughed until blood collected in my lungs from the effort. 2 picks, several nice returns, intense play––he's come into his own. I think we're seeing why he was recruited in the first place. When given a little help from the rest of the secondary, he is a capable playmaker despite his size. He's fast, he's physical, he's got better vision this season. I expect more good things to come.

Looking back: I was pleased with the effort this game. Our defense was on the field too much, and that counts for most of the statistical negatives. The 97 yard drive happened in the fourth quarter, which accounts for about a fourth of ISU's yards. They were tired, and nearly had the drive stopped a couple times. There was a lot more intensity on the field; the crowd was in it; we won the game.

Looking ahead: I'm really not that concerned about Mizzery. They've played no one. Bottom-feeding Big 10 teams and one ho-hum SEC squad doesn't make me tremble in my boots about that offense. We put up 31 on USC. I think our offense has just as much pop as theirs. And their defense has given up quite a bit, too. Bottom line is if we keep improving this week, keep the fire, show up at Columbia with a no-nonsense kind of attitude, we'll be okay. Mizzery is already talking trash. That's fine. They're Mizzery. At least we all know that even if they win next week, just as Fall turneth into Winter, so shalt the Tigers piss away the North to 4-5 Colorado or something. (By the way, nice one Buffies––all the better to watch you do nothing with it the rest of the season).

The Blackshirts aren't back quite yet, but they're stumbling awfully close to the light switch. They need a big game next week. We've got a chance to knock off a higher-rated team in their own house. Le'ts get it done.

Go Big Red.

X

I'll have to disagree on number 3. The fact that it was the special teams that allowed Iowa St to keep the ball at least two times when the defense had them stop by stupid penalties. .

Then the play where Iowa St faked the punt and should have made it if their player didn't decide to run out of bounds. The image Jim Rose gave over the radio was that Nebraska special teams were walking around like they didn't know what was going on and werent even lined up before the fake. Those are three things that could cause NU to lose the game if that happens against a better opponent.

I will admit at least we have someone back there that can catch the ball and make yards unlike a couple years ago where you would just hope they could catch the ball.

I'll have to disagree on number 3. The fact that it was the special teams that allowed Iowa St to keep the ball at least two times when the defense had them stop by stupid penalties. .

Then the play where Iowa St faked the punt and should have made it if their player didn't decide to run out of bounds. The image Jim Rose gave over the radio was that Nebraska special teams were walking around like they didn't know what was going on and werent even lined up before the fake. Those are three things that could cause NU to lose the game if that happens against a better opponent.

I will admit at least we have someone back there that can catch the ball and make yards unlike a couple years ago where you would just hope they could catch the ball.

I would have to respectfully disagree with Mr. Rose on that one. Everyone was set on that play, so far as I can remember. And it was the play of Thenarse which strung the guy out of bounds. Plus that was a ridiculous penalty in the first place. Overall the play was really good. They got us in good field position all day. A couple bad plays, but they did well in my opinion.

I would have to respectfully disagree with Mr. Rose on that one. Everyone was set on that play, so far as I can remember. And it was the play of Thenarse which strung the guy out of bounds. Plus that was a ridiculous penalty in the first place. Overall the play was really good. They got us in good field position all day. A couple bad plays, but they did well in my opinion.

I was sitting behind the ISU formation on that play (South end zone). I thought the formation by ISU was wierd, and the NU squad seemd to be caught napping. No one really adjusted or anticipated. At first, I thought the punter got the first down. Thank God for Thenearse.

I was sitting behind the ISU formation on that play (South end zone). I thought the formation by ISU was wierd, and the NU squad seemd to be caught napping. No one really adjusted or anticipated. At first, I thought the punter got the first down. Thank God for Thenearse.

I was at the other endzone, the one they were attempting to rush toward. In a way if they were caught napping it is kind of understandable. ISU's one win this season came off 5 field goals. But in any event, the defense reacted enough to prevent the first down, and will likely not give so much cushion in the future. The point, however, of the special teams segment is that in my opinion these guys are giving our offense a lot of chances to get points on the board, and for the most part they're either starting our opponents at the 20 or further back.

X

X. Your post was a good read. A couple of things stood out for me. 1). I could not agree more with you about Lucky. I thougt after the Nevada game my opionion might change but it has not. He has not lived up to the hype nor do I think he will. 2). Your reference to the points we put up against USC did not take into acount USC's second team defense. Keller is the real deal but our offense is still inconsistent with our running game and dropped passes by receivers. 3). I beieve others have already pointed out the costly penalties by special teams yesterday. However, I do believe they would get my most improved award this season compared to last.

I was at the other endzone, the one they were attempting to rush toward. In a way if they were caught napping it is kind of understandable. ISU's one win this season came off 5 field goals.

X

Oh wait, scratch that. It was a punt. Sorry, long day and a longer drive––this stuff tends to fade.

I was in the north endzone as well (waaaay up in row 81) and it was a great effort by Thenarse to stretch the play as he took on the two blockers and forced the punter out of bounds.

One plus was the D getting alot of reps which is something Coach Callahan seems to stress. Some of the extra reps were their own fault with failing to stop some of the long drives. Then the special teams kept them out there by making those stupid penalties. And the occasional 3 and out by the offense added to it. Iowa State had a crazy advantage in time of possession and the D still minimized their trips to the endzone playing the classic bend but not break style. I'd say it was a good step in the right direction.

Our defense did play much better yesterday than against Ball State. I actually saw guys tackling and sworming to the ball and that's what I like to see. All Iowa State did on passes was those slant routes and after awhile I was wondering why we don't have a LB jump those routes. They couldn't really pass to deep and their #1 receiver (Blythe) didn't have a good day. I was disappointed with our offense yesterday because they seemed a little sluggish. If it wasn't for those three stupid turnovers in the 1st quarter though I think that we would have hung 50 on 'em.

They're Mizzery. At least we all know that even if they win next week, just as Fall turneth into Winter, so shalt the Tigers piss away the North to 4-5 Colorado or something.

:lol: :lol: I think this might just be the greatest sentence ever put into print. :lol: :lol:

You get twenty cool points. :cheers

And good recap, I agree with you on most of it. I'd point a finger at the offense for not holding the ball a little bit longer, though (I suppose play calling has something to do with that). And that's great news about the special teams. As has already been pointed out, Jim Rose made it sound like the special teams had absolutely no clue what they were doing the first half.