Question about game-day beer laws

Wow, that's harsh that they ticketed those folks. OSU is a 'dry' campus, except for a few areas - some suites in the stadium, a few suites in Gallagher-Iba Arena, and a few other places on campus like a couple of rooms at the Hotel Restaurant Admin school. Game days? As benny said above, "no drinking in public...except on game days, that's okay"...even though it's not official, it's what is practiced. We have a large group for our tailgate, 6-7 families/groups of friends with a few tents. I can only think of two times the police talked to us about our beer. Both times they just politely asked that we put our beer in cups. That would suck to have the norm be drastically altered without warning!

... Each of the bike cops went up to different individuals and asked them for their cups. They handed them over and after a sniff, dumped them out and got out their ticketbooks. They ended up ticketing 5 people in their party for open containers. $100 fine + $44 court costs.

I'm surprised the ticket could hold up in court without further testing. (When was the last time Each of the bike cops had their nose callibrated?) For all I know, it could've been O'Douls or some sort of "near-beer" or sun tea served over barley..hmmm note to self..must try barley sun tea.

Do they allow beers in the stadium? Back in the day, I'd try to drink a 12 and waddle in like a pregnant lady and cross my legs until we scored a TD.

... Each of the bike cops went up to different individuals and asked them for their cups. They handed them over and after a sniff, dumped them out and got out their ticketbooks. They ended up ticketing 5 people in their party for open containers. $100 fine + $44 court costs.

I'm surprised the ticket could hold up in court without further testing. (When was the last time Each of the bike cops had their nose callibrated?) For all I know, it could've been O'Douls or some sort of "near-beer" or sun tea served over barley..hmmm note to self..must try barley sun tea.

Do they allow beers in the stadium? Back in the day, I'd try to drink a 12 and waddle in like a pregnant lady and cross my legs until we scored a TD.

Pretty sure they don't allow beer in (NCAA rules), but I'm seriously contemplating buying one of those beer bags that you wear under your shirt (I think it holds five 12 oz. beers) that comes with a nozzle so you can continue to drink throughout the game. It'd be doable in the late-season games where your going to be wearing hoodies and coats.

I went to ISU and the tailgate there is a free-for-all. You can have beer and liquor in plain sight. My theory is at ISU the stadium isnt in the middle of town and it is wide open so the police can kinda contain everyone to the parking lot. At UNL though it is right in the middle of town and the people are spread out all over town, and if you walk from tailgate to tailgate with a beer you have to cross the street and go through town, where as at ISU you are all in the same parking lot. As far as putting it in a glass, I have always understood that as an unwritten rule between you and the police. As long as your not dumb and dont give them probable cause by having a can in your hand, which technically is an open container, you can keep it in a cup and that will give them the ability to ignore it, because who's to say it isnt something other than beer.

But in the end you never really know, because you may have some police who just got f'ed with and dont really feel like respecting the unwritten rule.

And as far as alcohol in the stadium, i always pack a flask to keep the buzz throughout the game.

haha Ive thought about trying that

Pretty sure they don't allow beer in (NCAA rules), but I'm seriously contemplating buying one of those beer bags that you wear under your shirt (I think it holds five 12 oz. beers) that comes with a nozzle so you can continue to drink throughout the game. It'd be doable in the late-season games where your going to be wearing hoodies and coats.

that's a nice idea. any idea where I could find one of those?

haha Ive thought about trying that

that's a nice idea. any idea where I could find one of those?

One word........."Camelbak"

Hehheh, I haven't seen one of those before. Have you all seen these?

http://www.pocketshot.net/

PocketShot.jpg

I'm not much of a liquor guy, but these do look perfect for game day.

FYI: No problem with open containers in Columbia, beer or otherwise, on game day. You can't bring booze through the gate, of course. At the Ill State game there were plenty of 18-20-year-olds walking around with beer in hand. The police don't have the time or resources to go around checking IDs in the parking lots.

My buddy brought his brother to Columbia for the Ill. State game, and he walked around with a 12-pack of Bud Light tucked under his arm. No one cares. Just be sure to down them all before you walk through the gates.

I wouldn't think that would work so swift. You would be freezing the entire game (wrapped in ice-cold beer). Or you would be drinking body-temperature beer....not too pleasant.

I wouldn't think that would work so swift. You would be freezing the entire game (wrapped in ice-cold beer). Or you would be drinking body-temperature beer....not too pleasant.

thats why its better suited for liquor. if I wanted to use one of those for beer I'd want to buy 10 just to keep me throughout the game.

if beer cans was allowed you'd see me walking around with one of those babies on me

beerhelmet.jpg