BC discusses Dynasties

On previous dynasties

“I appreciate what everyone has done, Frank Leahy and Bud Wilkinson, all those guys. All those dominant teams and coaches that have gone on a run, I have great respect and appreciation for what they’ve done. It’s hard to do. There’s no question about how hard it is to do. It’s hard to get to the top, but it’s much harder and much more difficult to stay at the top. There have only been a few teams in the history of sports that have been dominant for a long period of time.”

I would have thought that he could have used a more recent example connected to the Huskers. :madash

Think I heard the question on the radio and the Interviewer bought up Tom Osborne and the Cal went on with that answer.

Makes sense as to why he didn't mention TO in that case.

If it's even a big deal that he didn't anyway...

It seems this board is taking his comments waaay out of contest. The question wasn't about Dynasties at all but rather TO's success and he decided to compliments others as well.

The only question I have is if it is harder to stay at the top then it is to get to the top then when the heck are we gonna get to the top???

Not a criticism just a question I want him to answer. When do you see us being a top notch program again?

Three years after they fire Callahan.

It seems this board is taking his comments waaay out of contest. The question wasn't about Dynasties at all but rather TO's success and he decided to compliments others as well.

The only question I have is if it is harder to stay at the top then it is to get to the top then when the heck are we gonna get to the top???

Not a criticism just a question I want him to answer. When do you see us being a top notch program again?

Three years after they fire Callahan.

That is my bet unless we go after Norv Turner....LOL basically the modern equivalent but with more experience being average. I still like Jeff Tedford who only makes about $1 MIL per year in a very expensive place to live. I think if we offered 2.2 he would come. I would like it.

Norv Turner is not average. He's the worst coach to ever walk up and down the sidelines.

Well he is a terrible head coach that is very true! But then again our coach went 4-12 before he came here....so like I said Norv is basically a good OC with even more years of being a bad head coach.

I meant he is an average coach overall...but yes like Cally a bad NFL head coach.

"who only makes about $1 MIL per year in a very expensive place to live"

That's his base which is 1.5 mill. Then there's incentives of 300 G's per year and retention bonus of 2.5 mil (annualzed to 500 G's). That was through 2009, but he recently extended through 2013.

We do have sandbars on the Platte River which are at least as good as any beach in California.

"who only makes about $1 MIL per year in a very expensive place to live"

That's his base which is 1.5 mill. Then there's incentives of 300 G's per year and retention bonus of 2.5 mil (annualzed to 500 G's). That was through 2009, but he recently extended through 2013.

We do have sandbars on the Platte River which are at least as good as any beach in California.

There is no beach to enjoy near Berkely unless you like 50 degree water or rocks.

Thank you for the info. I was given this info from the strength coach for Cal but he obviously didn't realize all that info.

Much appreciated.

Callahan often talks about parity engulfing college football. He was asked if it makes him appreciate more what Tom Osborne's Nebraska teams did a decade ago?

"I appreciate what everyone's done -- Frank Leahy, Bud Wilkinson, all those dominant teams and coaches that have gone on a run. I have great respect and appreciation for what they've done... It's hard to get the top, but as we all know, it's much harder to stay on top."

More Context to the Quote from the Tuesday Press Conference

well, for cally just getting to the top would be a start, even if it was just to the top of the Big 12!

We need to read the whole story to understand what was said. Could be out of context.

But let's be sure and bash him even if we don't know the whole story.

World's greatest college football fans!!!!!! Yea sure!

Here is where I got what I posted. (from Huskers.com) As for you skers fan I was not bashing him or anything. He is Nebraskas coach and as such he should know what this team and its history mean to this state and fan base.

The rest of you that did not like me posting that, I guess you will just have to use the ignore feature then. I very rarely say anything bad about BC because I believe he can get us where we need to be. I will not sit back and say all positives when I see something that I think could have been said or done a better way.

There are some people on both sides of this issue that will not back off their opinion at all and for them to not see the points of the other side and bash the other people because they do not toe the line as they see fit is wrong also.

There is a lot that BC needs to correct and it seems as if he is taking his own sweet time getting it done. I personally want him to succede but I doubt he will do it with out making some staff changes and other changes that need not be discussed again.

The only reason I posted that was I thought it was odd that one of the greatest runs in college football was not mentioned when he was asked about Dynasties. If Huskers.com intentionally left something out then it is on them I guess. :steam

Nebraska Coach Bill Callahan Quotes

Courtesy: NU Media Relations

Release: 10/02/2007

Courtesy: Scott Bruhn/NU Media Relations

Nebraska Coach Bill Callahan said Missouri has continued to improve and expand its offense with quarterback Chase Daniel at the helm.

Nebraska Football Weekly Press Conference

Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2007

Memorial Stadium (Lincoln, Neb.)

Pre-Missouri

Coach Bill Callahan

Opening Statement

“We’re just in the midst of our preparation (for our game) against Missouri. There are a lot of great challenges for our football team as we get on the road. Missouri, as a whole, is an excellent football team. They’re sound in all three phases. To say the least, they present a lot of challenges to our football team and one we look forward to as we get ready to get on the road.”

On the potential for a high-scoring game between Nebraska and Missouri

“I don’t know how it’s going to turn out. Who knows? A lot of times, you think that’s how it will unfold because statistically, when you look at each team, you say to yourself, ‘This is the way it’s going to be’. Sometimes the games don’t unfold like that. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don’t. We’ll just have to play it and see how it goes. Who knows? You never know.”

On the Nebraska/Missouri matchup in 2005

“I remember us getting behind early, then of course us catching up and tying it at the half. In the second half, we just didn’t execute and make the plays that we needed to make. I think the big thing that comes to light and comes to mind is the turnovers. Any time that you get on the road and compete in the Big 12 Conference, you’ve really got to limit their turnovers. We can’t get into the same situation and scenario that we were in on Saturday, where we had three turnovers on the first three possessions. That won’t cut it in the Big 12, especially on the road. We were fortunate that our defense responded the way that they did. Collectively, we have to be really sound on the road. The big thing that comes to mind is turnovers, ball security and really making great decisions with the ball in our hand, whether you’re a quarterback, a wide receiver or the running back, making those decisions that secure the ball are key because Missouri does an excellent job of stripping the ball. As you watch them play, you’ll see their effort to knock the ball out, strip the ball or create a turnover in some capacity, so that will be important as we go down there.”

On focusing on starting the game strong

“You never know how it’s going to turn out as far as how the score is going to work, who’s going to take the lead or who doesn’t take the lead. I think there’s an amount of patience that you have in the course of the game. It just depends. It’s all circumstantial in terms of how a team either gets up or gets behind, and then it changes rapidly. A lot of teams can come from behind and a lot of teams can hold a lead and separate. There’s not a concern for us saying we’re going into a game thinking that. We never do. I think it’s just a matter of responding to whatever that challenge is.”

On the status of NU wide receiver Maurice Purify (following the death of his girlfriend in a car accident in California)

“I think, first off, on behalf of our team and staff, I’d like to pass on my condolences to that young lady and her family. I know she had a great impact and effect on Mo. Having talked to Mo yesterday, he’s dealing with things the best that he can. As we all know, he’s encountered a lot of things in his life recently that he’s dealing with. We’ve shown tremendous support, our team and support staff. We’re doing everything we can to help him get through these tough times. The important thing is not the game, it’s really just helping Mo out right now to where he can deal with what he has to deal with and move on.”

On the timeline for deciding Purify’s status for the Missouri game

“That’s not the important thing. The important thing is that he feels good about himself. When he’s ready, I think he’ll make that decision and we’ll work with him on that.”

On Nebraska building an identity through five games

“What I think is important right now is the rate of improvement relative to everyone else. If we can maintain that standard of improvement, week-in and week-out, that’s all I’m looking for. That improvement (is) coming in all areas, the special teams, defense and offense, making plays when we need to make them. I think there are a lot of positive things that I took from last Saturday’s game, that we can carry over to this week. Each week that you hit the practice field, you have a new set of circumstances and challenges, but it’s how you improve relative to those that is what’s important. We see teams around us that are improving as well. I think that’s the nature of college football. Teams are up and down. How you adjust and respond to that in practice and how you improve during the course of practice is more important than anything.”

On the performance of the Big 12 North last week

“It wasn’t surprising. It wasn’t surprising in the least. I remember going to Kansas State a week ago and playing against a really feisty defense. I thought they were good last year. They ran to the ball as well as anybody in the (Big 12) North, anybody particularly that we had played to that point in our schedule. That’s not surprising. I thought Colorado’s defense was very physical. I thought that they had the pieces in place on that side of the ball. If you look back statistically to where those teams were, especially Colorado, they were ranked pretty high on the defensive side. It’s a matter of one unit coming around and really jelling together as a team. It’s not surprising at all. I’ve said many times in here that I thought it was cyclical. I think football is cyclical in that it comes back around again, where other teams improve and show the propensity to make strides in a certain area. It’s just in how you adjust and adapt, and those teams have done a heck of a job, to their credit.”

On the advantages of having a bye week

“I think that there is an advantage in that you’re in a position to rest your team, to get guys who are nicked and bruised healthier. You have an opportunity to study more and get more focused. You have an opportunity to look at a team several teams in a different light. During the course of a week’s preparation, you’re so hurried and so rushed to get from film to film and from cut-up to cut-up or from situation to situation, it’s hard to go back and look at it again with a new, fresh approach or with a new set of eyes in that regard. Once you lay down your plan on a weekly basis, you have to fly with it. When you have a bye, you can lay out your plan in the week prior to that game, then come back the week of the game and look at the plan again and revisit that plan and tweak it. There are some real advantages to a bye. I think there’s no question. I think they probably feel that as well. I know I always felt that way whenever we had a bye, so I think there are some real advantages to that.”

On Missouri’s tight ends

“I think they present you with a lot of matchup problems because they do have the ability to get down the field and play like a wide-out. With that being said, whether they flex them out and spread the field with their height and their athletic ability to get down the field and make plays, that’s obvious, but the ability to close down ranks and block on the perimeter; those things show up in big ways. It’s different than having a 5-foot-9 wide receiver out there blocking the perimeter as opposed to a 6-foot-4, 6-foot-5 guy, 250, 260 pounds blocking the perimeter. It presents a different challenge. Then, you start incorporating the challenge of the jailbreak screens, the bubble screens, the reverses, things of that nature that affect your perimeter defense, that’s where the matchup can really be advantageous for a team like Missouri, which they have done an incredible job of.”

On Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel

“He’s still fiery, competitive and very intense in everything that he does. You can feel his demeanor on film. You know he’s going to do everything to get a first-and-10 or a touchdown. He’s a strong, accurate quarterback that has all the throws. He can spread it around pretty well. He can throw it deep or short and he has great touch and feel for their system. Anytime that you have an experienced guy who’s coming back that’s growing with you in your system, I think that’s a huge plus. As I look at film, I’m certain they’ve taken advantage of that. They’ve grown more in their package with him at the helm. I think it’s a natural progression anytime you have a guy that comes back as your starting quarterback.”

On the importance of Nebraska’s third-down play against Missouri

“All third downs are going to be important. Whether it’s last year or this year, they’re always going to be important. You’re always trying to work to get off the field in the best manner you can. It’s going to be a challenge for us to put in a good sub package, a good nickel package and challenge their wide receivers. It’s not just the passing game. You’re challenged with their ability to run as well. Whether it’s third-and-short, medium or long, those situations change, and that’s where we’re challenged. If we can back them up in down-and-distance, your opportunities increase. If they stay manageable in areas of third-and-4 to 6 or third-and-2 to 3, those become a bit more challenging for you. A team is allowed to stay on rhythm, and that’s the case with any team.”

On Missouri’s offensive scheme

“They’re different in the sense that they’re a spread offense and they can put four or five wide receivers out there or get to empty (backfield) packages without any problem and not giving up anything in athletic ability. Defensively, without getting into strategy and tactics, you’ve always got to present new looks and challenges for teams. I think they’re well aware of that. I’m sure they don’t think that we’ll come in and show them the same thing as last week. That’s not what people do against them. They see it all. It’s not that complicated. There are only so many ways you can run a three-deep coverage. There are only so many ways you can play two-deep. Really, it’s not anything that they haven’t seen. It’s just a matter of how we position people and players and when we make certain calls against their personnel groupings and situational football. I think that’s where the nature of the game is going to be at.”

On quickly adjusting game plans

“I don’t think so (that it’s tough to throw something completely different at an opponent). I think that, when people haven’t seen it, they can’t prepare for it. That’s an advantage. I believe most teams, when you watch them on film, will tweak their offense or defense and maybe bring something off the shelf or add something to their package that you haven’t seen, like a new twist or wrinkle. I think that’s pretty standard in football these days.”

On the development of Major Culbert at linebacker

“I think Coz (Coach Kevin Cosgrove) mentioned that last week, that he was just getting into the groove of playing linebacker again and just trying to make the adjustment, but we’re going to use all those guys. Not just Major Culbert, but the entire group of linebackers will need to step up and will be challenged greatly by what they’ll be presented with this week. There’s a lot of flexibility with our linebacking corps and secondary right now.”

On winning the time of possession battle

“You can’t say to yourself that you’re going to win the time of possession battle. I think you have to go into the game and say, ‘Let’s have more points than they do at the end of the game.' I think it’s always important, though. I think our offense is predicated on ball control. Running and passing it, those aspects fit into the parameters of ball-control offense. You want to control the clock, but sometimes you’re forced to throw it. If a team gets up on you and you’re forced to throw it, you’re in a different mode. It’s all based on situations.”

On the potential pace of the Missouri game

“We’ll see. That’s the great thing about the game. We’re going to see how the challenges of the game unfold. I don’t know if it’s going to be a beautiful night down there or if it’s going to rain like cats and dogs. Who knows? All those things may change and affect the game. I don’t know. I don’t have the crystal ball for that question.”

On the potential strength of the Big 12 North

“It’s still early, just one or two games into it. I think that it’s competitive. I said this when we went down to the Media Day in August, we were going to have a competitive situation in the North. I see teams getting better. You see their rate of improvement across the board. It’s not surprising to see teams progressing and getting better. Mizzou took Oklahoma down to the wire last year in the game before they played us. You see all sorts of instances where you see teams are competing and the scoring margin isn’t that great. I sense and see teams becoming more competitive.”

On changing the defensive preparation after a heavy workload against Iowa State

“We always modify practice, based on where we’re at from a health perspective. We always take that into account. Right now, we’re in a status quo, a standard operating procedure in our practices, so really, nothing has changed in that regard.”

On MU wide receiver and returner Jeremy Maclin

“He’s a good player. This is a guy that can do it all. We’re focused on all of them. They have a lot of weapons and a lot of tools. They do a lot of things schematically. It’s hard to say that there’s one guy we’re going to focus our concentration on. I think that’s what makes their offense go; that they have so many good offensive players. They have a quarterback that understands their system and can distribute the ball. He’ll be a challenge, there’s no question about that. But to say that we’ll isolate on one single guy would be tough. Now in the return game, he is isolated because that is the player you’re focused on stopping in terms of the return.”

On kicking against Jeremy Maclin

“We have a pretty good place-kicker if you’re talking about kickoff returns. On punts, we have a lot of confidence in Dan (Titchener) and what he does. That question was posed to me a while back when I was in pro ball when the little fella at Kansas City, Dante Hall, was having a Pro Bowl year as a returner. The question was: would you punt to him? You start getting out of kilter when you change what you’re doing. We’ve practiced covering (punts) every day, and so that’s what we do. We’re not going to not kick to a certain player. You just go out there, compete and do the best you can. We work hard every day on our punt. We still have some work to do, but we’ve been pretty successful with our punt unit and what we’ve given up from a net perspective. But he does pose a great challenge. He’s a shifty guy with a speed burst and change of direction. Those guys, you’re always concerned about. It’s important that the gunners do a great job of forcing him laterally. The net keeping their leverage on him will be important as well.”

On Nebraska’s running game

“I hear this question and it keeps coming up. To me, it’s where you stay balanced at. You’re always striving for balance and if you’re not balanced, it’s what you’re doing within the realm of being balanced that really matters. Passing game wise, you have to balance your passing game. You can’t just throw short or deep. You have to throw on different spots all over the field. Same thing with the running game. We run inside and outside, so we balanced how we’re running it in terms of distributing the field and attacking the field. I think that’s important. There’s always the question of running the ball more, but really, whatever it takes to win is where we’re at. As long as we’re scoring points, if we throw it 100 times or run it 100 times, it really doesn’t matter to me or us as a team. (Scoring points) is the objective of the offensive team, to go score.”

On the effects of the 8:15 start time

“It doesn’t affect our players. Our players are excited to play on national television against a good football team. We’re excited about the challenge of going down there. That’s what college football is all about. It’s going to be a great atmosphere, from what we understand, so we’re excited to get down to Columbia.”

On keeping the team on an even keel on game day

“We have a pretty good routine. We’ve played enough night games around here to get into that type of routine. It’s just a couple hours longer, that’s all. It really doesn’t alter our routine that much.”

On Nebraska’s rushing yards after contact

“You always want to get better at that. I don’t dismiss the notion that you want to make people miss, not only make contact but the ability to make a defender miss becomes more important. Randy (Jordan) takes great pride in yards after contact. There’s no question that we have to get better at it. I think that’s going to occur any time that you’re challenged on the perimeter or in the hole or on a cutback, you’re always striving to push the pile to get those extra yards. But the most important thing to me is ball security. A lot of times, you’re fighting for those extra yards, like we did on Saturday, and you end up on the short end. You’re trying so hard to make the extra yard, you lose concentration on ball security. I’m more attuned and concerned with ball security than anything.”

On the potential for dynasties in present-day college football

“I think there’s always that possibility (for dynasties in college football). Looking at SC right now, they're as dominant as a team on a run as I can remember. Is there that possibility? To answer your question, yes.”

On the difficulty of building dynasties today in college football

“I believe it is (more difficult to build a dynasty).”

On previous dynasties

“I appreciate what everyone has done, Frank Leahy and Bud Wilkinson, all those guys. All those dominant teams and coaches that have gone on a run, I have great respect and appreciation for what they’ve done. It’s hard to do. There’s no question about how hard it is to do. It’s hard to get to the top, but it’s much harder and much more difficult to stay at the top. There have only been a few teams in the history of sports that have been dominant for a long period of time.”

On the Missouri defense

“We’ve seen plenty of tape. You watch their defense play on film, and they’re highly competitive. They’re very competitive and very aggressive in what they’re doing, in how they approach they’re defensive philosophy. They’re very intelligent about their schematics. You try to say to yourself, ‘here are these statistics’, but then again, they have such great leads early in the year that they’re getting other players ready to play, too, so some of those yards are coming against second-team or third-team guys. Really, you have to take that (Missouri’s total defensive stats) and dismiss it and just really focus in on their starters and what they’re capable of doing. I think they’re fine players. I think, when you look at it in that respect, it shades a different light on the whole topic of statistics. When you turn the film on and watch them play, they’re aggressive, sound and much improved from a year ago. I like their defensive line. They’re thick, active, strong guys up front. Their linebackers have speed. Their coverage has been very good in terms of their starting units, when they have played. They’re impressive. They present a real challenge, especially when you get them cranked up at home, in the noise, they want to come off the ball. They’re a pretty good, confident group, from what it appears to me.”

On the potential misleading nature of defensive statistics

“I think it happened to us a little bit in pro ball. Sometimes, when you’re putting up a lot of yards (you give up more yards). Conversely, when you’re putting up a lot of yards and chewing up the clock, it can diminish that and make the defense play to more of its strength, so it can go, either way.”

On Matt Davison’s catch against Missouri in 1997

“I haven’t (seen anything like it). I haven’t stopped hearing about it, either. I hear about it all the time. It’s great for Matt and it was a great game. I watched that game that evening and remembered it vividly. It was a great game. It was a remarkable catch and it really catapulted them, and you know the rest of the story. I coached Jerry Rice and Tim Brown, but Matt Davison has more notoriety than any of those All-Pro receivers.”