Nebraska's Dead

It's the fourth quarter and I'm sitting here perfectly calm, almost detached. I'm not really upset, even, about the loss––I don't get upset for long. At first, yeah, I was really getting emotional, but my mind takes over and it quickly abates, leaving me in a position to discern where we are and what the most logical steps need to be.

Look, basically everything Bugeater infers is confirmed. I don't like the guy––I don't think many people do––but even in his infantile one-liner posts he's got something right. There is just too much Rose-colored vision impairing Husker Nation right now. So, now having my hopes for this season and our program's future thoroughly crushed and irrefutably so, I will now attempt to open a REAL discussion about our future. This is where Bugeater and I differ––I will attempt to discuss instead of malign (although I imagine there will be plenty of bile in this one).

Callahan is now in his fourth season. The stats are well known. We have basically no wins of value, and despite all the opportunities granted us, our program is now a vast, sinking ship. "Not even God could sink this ship" is the famous line attributed to the Titanic. Very much like it is the mentality of Huskers. Nothing could happen to ruin our program, but guess what, it has. If only, if only, if only––if only the captain had listened to the warnings, "Ice ahead," he might have saved the ship. I don't know where we are, figurativley speaking, but it might not be too late to save ourselves. We just have to fess up to the warning signs and I mean right the f#*k now.

1) Our defense is bar none the worst I have ever seen in college football. Granted, I'm not a long-time fan of this great sport, but I have tried to learn quickly, and have studied the defenses of USC, LSU, and the former years of Husker dominance. In any case, look at the scoreboard against Ball State and Mizzou if you need any further evidence. There is NO emotion, NO scheme, and NO adjustments which can bring us back into it. Everyone is out of position, there is no pass rush, and our secondary even with 16 guys dropped back and a one-midget rush can STILL not defend the pass.

2) The offense, people, listen to me and listen good. The offense is a myth. We have created the myth of Keller and the offense in order to deceive ourselves into believing that this team has a hope. It just is not true. We have ABSOLUTELY NO RUNNING GAME, and in the passing game, a good portion of the passes are dropped, underthrown, overthrown, or just plain thrown away. At best they are mediocre, and in reality they are a lower-end Big XII North offense.

3) Coaching. Bad play calling, bad play calling, and more bad play calling. The players look dazed and confused, like they are in a cloud of an over-complicated scheme. This is not the pros, people. We can't expect NFL effort or ability. Even if we have 4-5 good draft picks, there's still the rest of the team to consider. And on Defense, I just have nothing to say. Cosgrove's record and performance speaks for him better than I ever could.

Now, I don't want this to turn into a whining Sollich-fest. I don't know whether or not it was a good idea to fire him. At this point it's so irrelevant that if there is an ounce of brain within any of you, you won't speak his name again. That horse is dead, rotted, and forgotten. What we need to do now is enter into a very serious and thoughtful discussion about what options are open to us. I will reserve my opinion at this point, as I would have to research it more. But for those of you who have an idea, I'm all ears. Make it rational, make it real. I'm listening.

If there are any of you Callahaners left, I'm not attacking you for your opinion, but please, let's be honest with ourselves. Nebraska is a team on life support, and by the end of the season our sellout streak will likely be broken. I don't like it any better than you do, but I'll take my chances with a revolving door than surrender all together.

NEVER SAY DIE!

X

I don't even really know what to say at this point . . . I mean, I just don't understand how ANY offense goes up against a defense as pathetic as Missouri's and doesn't score a touchdown. You could put a Pop Warner team in there and they'd be able to put the ball in the end zone at least one time. The offense just looked, and you said it best, confused. We have maybe two good athletes on offense trying as hard as they can to carry a team that has no idea what it's doing, and it finally became evident tonight. But seriously! NO touchdowns?! This was not LSU, people. This was the 93rd ranked defense, and even their pathetic Sun Belt and Div. I-AA opponents managed to average 25 points per game against them.

Cosgrove obviously needs to be fired TONIGHT. I had been wanting him to be fired at the end of the season, but I've changed my mind. I'll give Callahan the rest of the season yet, but he damaged his stock severely in my eyes tonight.

Aside from those two very obvious points, I'm simply at a loss for words. I've been following Nebraska football since I was six years old and this is the lowest low I've ever witnessed. Even 70-10 didn't feel this bad.

2) The offense, people, listen to me and listen good. The offense is a myth. We have created the myth of Keller and the offense in order to deceive ourselves into believing that this team has a hope. It just is not true. We have ABSOLUTELY NO RUNNING GAME, and in the passing game, a good portion of the passes are dropped, underthrown, overthrown, or just plain thrown away. At best they are mediocre, and in reality they are a lower-end Big XII North offense.

3) Coaching. Bad play calling, bad play calling, and more bad play calling. The players look dazed and confused, like they are in a cloud of an over-complicated scheme. This is not the pros, people. We can't expect NFL effort or ability. Even if we have 4-5 good draft picks, there's still the rest of the team to consider. And on Defense, I just have nothing to say. Cosgrove's record and performance speaks for him better than I ever could.

I think 3 and 2 should be reversed. Keller made some great throws - he is skilled. Swift and co. made some great catches.

I believe a lot of our problems on both sides of the ball have to do with coaching not drawing out the talent of the players. Given the parity among D1 these days, it really seems like the big difference will be the coaches, and their ability to implement game plans that work. I mean, look at USC's loss today. Look at OU and UT last week. It is about the coaches. Now, any team can and will have a bad game - and that is also part of D1. But this game seems to be a cumulative problem, rather than something that was a glitch.

So I find it very hard to blame the players outrightly- it starts at the top. The players drive must be facilitated through the coaching staff - it is never just about one player being Mr Leader. The coaches have to facilitate and allow it to happen - set the boys up to do well.

on the radio postgame: 3 or 4 running plays. I agree. We need new plays, new angles. Something needs to change. Also on the radio: Who is NU? What is our motto? What do we do, what do we hang our hat on? What is our identity?

Where do we draw our confidence from?

Not that much right now.

I think 3 and 2 should be reversed. Keller made some great throws - he is skilled. Swift and co. made some great catches.

I believe a lot of our problems on both sides of the ball have to do with coaching not drawing out the talent of the players. Given the parity among D1 these days, it really seems like the big difference will be the coaches, and their ability to implement game plans that work. I mean, look at USC's loss today. Look at OU and UT last week. It is about the coaches. Now, any team can and will have a bad game - and that is also part of D1. But this game seems to be a cumulative problem, rather than something that was a glitch.

So I find it very hard to blame the players outrightly- it starts at the top. The players drive must be facilitated through the coaching staff - it is never just about one player being Mr Leader. The coaches have to facilitate and allow it to happen - set the boys up to do well.

on the radio postgame: 3 or 4 running plays. I agree. We need new plays, new angles. Something needs to change. Also on the radio: Who is NU? What is our motto? What do we do, what do we hang our hat on? What is our identity?

Where do we draw our confidence from?

Not that much right now.

I don't know what I'm more depressed over, the lack of adjustments, or the basic lack of heart and identity in the players. This is I guess what I'm saying. The whole team's guts are cancer filled and dying. There's no reason for us to think that it's going to be better next year or the year after. I wonder if this is what is was like in 2002/2003? NC in '09? Haha!

I don't think this staff can change. I now believe only in what I see. There will be no turnaround this season or any other, not with this staff. That's, I guess, my point. It's time to seriosuly think about the future.

x

I'm just sick. I'm listening to the coaches wrap up online right now and I'd swear you'd think we just got beat by a score or two. Didn't Callahan even watch the game? He acts like we got beat in a tough fought battle. This was a sheer clinic–men playing with boys.

There is enough posts about the defense that my additional vulgarities would add nothing. The only thing I can take away from the game is that the announcers were actually gracious. I thought the interview with Davison was respectable. It actually made me think of something other than the beating we were taking.

The problem is that we have good talent, not great talent. Lucky is good, darn good. But he looks good because he plays on a mediocre team. Ruud has the most tackles? Well golly gee willikers. The problem is that if we have our middle linebacker leading the team in tackles, that means the offense is already at least five yards down the field.

Look at Rucker. The guy is a stud. But how many times did we simply not wrap him up? We had him for no gain a number of times and he would always tack on another eight yards. I feel sorry for Missouri because they think this is actually a big win. Missouri still hasn't played anybody. They could win the north and maybe even the big 12 because their offense is impressive, but I'm willing to bet on either of the Kansas teams at this point.

I'm starting to question Callahan's commitment. There was no variety in the game tonight. Nothing. He didn't press, he was completely predictable, and he never looked pissed. Maybe frustrated, but not pissed. I was expecting some kind of apology instead of "we need to prepare better." No, you need to get a whole new plan that the players will believe and rally around. We were not even capable of making adjustments.

This is not just a one game deal, we've got serious problems and we all know it. This game doesn't surprise me. I'm sick.

I never thought in my 30+ years of watching Husker football, that I would EVER see a coach or a player on this team GIVE UP! Man this really ticks me off! It's PATHETIC!!!!!!!

That really bothered me, too. It's not that we're losing, it's that we're quitting. Back in the day the Blackshirts (know where they are, by chance, because I haven't seen them) kept fighting regardless of what happened. And at least you got a sense of purpose. These guys are jokes, on both sides of the ball. I can't even call them Huskers, because players who play for Nebraska at the very least respect themselves.

X