Running up the score

Those who are complaining about "running up the score", are the reason why there are anti-husker fans.

I can see both sides to this debate. However, as a Mizzou fan, I will give my perspective on why Pinkel did what he did. One of his biggest criticisms has been that he never goes for the kill, never breaks an opponents back. We have blown more than our fair share of games that we had large leads in. Now I don't think we were in danger of losing last night, but I think Pinkel called the fake field goal primarily for the fans. So many of our fans were begging him before the game to go for the kill if we got that chance.

I think the other thing was also make a statement to get us more national attention. Someone earlier posted that Nebraska ran up scores with their 3rd and 4th string and never did it to get votes. I would agree completely with that. I would just say that Mizzou doesn't have the luxury of national respect that Nebraska enjoyed at their peak. Prior to this game we still had voters who weren't voting us in the top 25. (One of those was your own AP voter from Omaha.) We had several other voters ranking Illinois ahead of us even though we are undefeated and beat Illinois. We needed to make a statement that we could dominated a team and win a big game.

The point of running up the score is certainly still open to debate, but that is my perspective in defense of Pinkel.

it was a stupid thing to do. that type of stuff ALWAYS comes back on a coach. if you think its a good idea to disrespect a program like NU...... good luck. we will not forget that

Those who are complaining about "running up the score", are the reason why there are anti-husker fans.

I can see both sides to this debate. However, as a Mizzou fan, I will give my perspective on why Pinkel did what he did. One of his biggest criticisms has been that he never goes for the kill, never breaks an opponents back. We have blown more than our fair share of games that we had large leads in. Now I don't think we were in danger of losing last night, but I think Pinkel called the fake field goal primarily for the fans. So many of our fans were begging him before the game to go for the kill if we got that chance.

I think the other thing was also make a statement to get us more national attention. Someone earlier posted that Nebraska ran up scores with their 3rd and 4th string and never did it to get votes. I would agree completely with that. I would just say that Mizzou doesn't have the luxury of national respect that Nebraska enjoyed at their peak. Prior to this game we still had voters who weren't voting us in the top 25. (One of those was your own AP voter from Omaha.) We had several other voters ranking Illinois ahead of us even though we are undefeated and beat Illinois. We needed to make a statement that we could dominated a team and win a big game.

The point of running up the score is certainly still open to debate, but that is my perspective in defense of Pinkel.

it was a stupid thing to do. that type of stuff ALWAYS comes back on a coach. if you think its a good idea to disrespect a program like NU...... good luck. we will not forget that

Once again, I don't think it was done to disprespect NU. Comments like yours above our why so many Mizzou fans wanted to run up the score on NU. Even once you've lost your making threats about disrespecting your program. No rational Mizzou fan would argue that you have a better tradition than we do. It is that tradition that makes this such a sweet victory for us and why I think Pinkel felt he needed that one last score to put the game away. The fact that we get so fired up for this game and this victory is a compliment to how tough people think your teams normally are.

I can see both sides to this debate....

Prior to this game we still had voters who weren't voting us in the top 25. (One of those was your own AP voter from Omaha.) We had several other voters ranking Illinois ahead of us even though we are undefeated and beat Illinois. We needed to make a statement that we could dominated a team and win a big game.

Not true, Kaipust had Missouri in his top 25 (although Nebraska a little higher) last week. Besides, other voters had MU #11 before last week...... it evens out.

Pinkel's smug lil' grin after running a fake FG was a bit much..... but, whatever, using that play won't help him beat OU. Serious question, what does Pinkel do to affect the strategy during a ballgame? He looked like a bystander on the sidelines....

Once again, I don't think it was done to disprespect NU. Comments like yours above our why so many Mizzou fans wanted to run up the score on NU. Even once you've lost your making threats about disrespecting your program. No rational Mizzou fan would argue that you have a better tradition than we do. It is that tradition that makes this such a sweet victory for us and why I think Pinkel felt he needed that one last score to put the game away. The fact that we get so fired up for this game and this victory is a compliment to how tough people think your teams normally are.

well enjoy it. but realize that you pissed us off, and now we are going to be the one looking for your head. and the simple fact of that matter is we are the better program. you kicked the bigger guy when we were down. it wont be long before we are back to were we used to be. and you guys are not going to be at that level. you might think you will be, but that dream will die next week. I said it before the game, and I stilll think it....you guys arent that good. we are just that bad. I dont even think you will win the north.

I just love how the local media (I'm thinking of a particular radio station especially) loves to tout how classy the NU fans are, then those same "classy fans" go and show their true colors.

how so? please explain.

we are mad about what happened last night. we are proud fan base, and I fail to see how that is classless. however coming onto our message board when it is clear that all you are doing is rubbing salt in a fresh wound.....now THAT is CLASSY

well enjoy it. but realize that you pissed us off, and now we are going to be the one looking for your head. and the simple fact of that matter is we are the better program. you kicked the bigger guy when we were down. it wont be long before we are back to were we used to be. and you guys are not going to be at that level. you might think you will be, but that dream will die next week. I said it before the game, and I stilll think it....you guys arent that good. we are just that bad. I dont even think you will win the north.

Here is my conclusion about Mizzou and Nebraska fans:

Nebraska fans are good and gracious as winners, but are often sore losers who don't like to give credit to their opponents. When they lose they mope around whinning about sour grapes.

Mizzou fans are good at losing and silently marching out of the stadium because that is often what they have been used to. They are bad at winning because winning big games hasn't happened all that often. Winning makes them do and say things that they normally wouldn't often making classless fools of themselves.

melscott: We won, give us some credit. I have no doubt that OU will be a very tough game for us, but your comments about being the "bigger guy" and disrespecting a program like NU just make it sound like you are a big cry baby.

I think truly being a classy fan means being gracious in both a win and a defeat. Some, fans from both of our teams are not classy at all, but for different reasons.

Here is my conclusion about Mizzou and Nebraska fans:

Nebraska fans are good and gracious as winners, but are often sore losers who don't like to give credit to their opponents. When they lose they mope around whinning about sour grapes.

Mizzou fans are good at losing and silently marching out of the stadium because that is often what they have been used to. They are bad at winning because winning big games hasn't happened all that often. Winning makes them do and say things that they normally wouldn't often making classless fools of themselves.

melscott: We won, give us some credit. I have no doubt that OU will be a very tough game for us, but your comments about being the "bigger guy" and disrespecting a program like NU just make it sound like you are a big cry baby.

I think truly being a classy fan means being gracious in both a win and a defeat. Some, fans from both of our teams are not classy at all, but for different reasons.

you won...your clearly a better team than us. thats as far as it goes. look at us right now. you really think that means something?

as for you cry baby comments. please. beating us every other year is sure giving you guys a big head

well enjoy it. but realize that you pissed us off, and now we are going to be the one looking for your head. and the simple fact of that matter is we are the better program.

ROFLMAO!!!! 41-6? "better program"????? "bigger guy"?????? ROFLMAO!!!!

it wont be long before we are back to were we used to be.

Wishful thinking. Gonna have to get rid of S.P. first.

and you guys are not going to be at that level.

They sure looked like they were against the little pink last night, didn't they?

you might think you will be, but that dream will die next week.

That remains to be seen, but I know who's nightmare will continue for a long time to come.

I said it before the game, and I stilll think it....you guys arent that good. we are just that bad. I dont even think you will win the north.

First you claim NU is the "better program" and the "bigger guy", now you admit NU is "just that bad". That sounds logical to me. (LOL) BTW: If Mizzou doesn't win the big 12 north, but laid the wood to NU, what exactly does that say about NU?

Speaking of no-class, I would like to meet that ESPN camera guy that zoomed in on the ESPN sign in the stands that said:

Excrement

Stool

Poop

Nebraska

Yes it's sad that Mizzou fans would actually make a sign like that, but I am sure some students from NU have accomplished similar stupid feats, but for an ESPN camera man to zoom in on something like that and actually get it put on the air is outrageous! I would complain to ESPN, but it's not like it would get anything accomplished. I just needed to vent, sorry. F-U ESPN!

I just love how the local media (I'm thinking of a particular radio station especially) loves to tout how classy the NU fans are, then those same "classy fans" go and show their true colors.

how so? please explain.

we are mad about what happened last night. we are proud fan base, and I fail to see how that is classless. however coming onto our message board when it is clear that all you are doing is rubbing salt in a fresh wound.....now THAT is CLASSY

It's one thing to be mad about the outcome of a game, it's another thing to whine when a team gives the Huskers a taste of their own medicine.

Speaking of no-class, I would like to meet that ESPN camera guy that zoomed in on the ESPN sign in the stands that said:

Excrement

Stool

Poop

Nebraska

Yes it's sad that Mizzou fans would actually make a sign like that, but I am sure some students from NU have accomplished similar stupid feats, but for an ESPN camera man to zoom in on something like that and actually get it put on the air is outrageous! I would complain to ESPN, but it's not like it would get anything accomplished. I just needed to vent, sorry. F-U ESPN!

Wow . . .

I was at the game, so I didn't see that sign, but that is pretty bad.

Everything remained pretty calm in my section. I was only a couple of rows up from the field and the only trouble I saw between either teams fans were some Nebraska kids threw something on the field and the cops came over and talked to them briefly, but it wasn't really a big deal.

I've been reading horror stories on several message boards all day about rude Mizzou fans and a few about out of control Nebraska fans. I never know how much to believe and how much has been exaggerated. I know some bad stuff probably happened, but it is often not as bad as people remember it the next morning.

Excrement

Stool

Poop

Nebraska

Agreed. BTW: those signs weren't only classless, they were downright moronic.

how so? please explain.

It's one thing to be mad about the outcome of a game, it's another thing to whine when a team gives the Huskers a taste of their own medicine.

if you cant see the difference between playing your 2nd and 3rd team, and running the base offense and running a trick play with your starters.........as I said its clear you are just here to flame on us..... thats classy

Excrement

Stool

Poop

Nebraska

Wow . . .

I was at the game, so I didn't see that sign, but that is pretty bad.

Everything remained pretty calm in my section. I was only a couple of rows up from the field and the only trouble I saw between either teams fans were some Nebraska kids threw something on the field and the cops came over and talked to them briefly, but it wasn't really a big deal.

I've been reading horror stories on several message boards all day about rude Mizzou fans and a few about out of control Nebraska fans. I never know how much to believe and how much has been exaggerated. I know some bad stuff probably happened, but it is often not as bad as people remember it the next morning.

Or as one sided as people want to claim.