HUGE Rumor

Saw this on another board, the guy says he's from Tulsa, OK, and heard it on a radio show...

Dave Sittler, from Hebron, NE and the OWH is THE sports editor for the local paper - he was on this morning's radio sports program discussing the mess in Nebraska.

Supposedly, his sources have informed him that many of the "BIG MONEY" people have already informed the 'powers that be' at the University that changes HAVE TO BE MADE or the money drys up-!!

He also said that those same sources are wanting either Tom Osborne or Dave Remington as AD. Sittler thinks (as many of us do) that Turner Gill would be the most logical replacement for Callahan.

He and the sports jock both agreed that something has to be done ASAP or Nebraska may never again be able attract the kind of players it was used to during the Devaney / Osborne years-!!

Interesting, no?

Sounds like total booooollshit!

Pederson has complete confidence in Callahan and Harvey Perlman has complete confidence in Pederson.

Everyone seems to have a coach in mind to replace Callahan, but maybe no one wants this job anymore. Pederson has made this job much less attractive first by firing a pretty dam successful coach 4 yrs ago and then pretty much alienating the fan base that defines husker football. It seems really pointless to talk about a new coach now. We have these coaches for the rest of the season. If we end up 4-8 or 5-7 then we'll talk.

Damn, are you ever screwed up. Solich successful? Yeah, at continuing to run an outdated offense and not recruiting worth a sh#t. Let me tell you something, lame-brain, Solich was one of my drivers' ed. teachers at Lincoln Southeast and he wasn't even very successful at that. And have you followed the Ohio Bobcats lately? Pull your head out of your ass!

Everyone seems to have a coach in mind to replace Callahan, but maybe no one wants this job anymore. Pederson has made this job much less attractive first by firing a pretty dam successful coach 4 yrs ago and then pretty much alienating the fan base that defines husker football. It seems really pointless to talk about a new coach now. We have these coaches for the rest of the season. If we end up 4-8 or 5-7 then we'll talk.

Damn, are you ever screwed up. Solich successful? Yeah, at continuing to run an outdated offense and not recruiting worth a sh#t. Let me tell you something, lame-brain, Solich was one of my drivers' ed. teachers at Lincoln Southeast and he wasn't even very successful at that. And have you followed the Ohio Bobcats lately? Pull your head out of your ass!

right it's outdated but teams continue to use it at a high level of success. Last year seemed to be a very successful year for ohio. but hey i'm just screwed up. go take some lessons in tact.

I am not sure how good an idea it is to have legendary players come back and be head coaches. There are a lot of people at Baylor that want to do that with Mike Singletary, we have had three former players as HC's at Texas State, I just don't think anything good comes of it. If they are successful then of course everything is wonderful. If they fail then it's a disaster because it leaves a lot of hurt feelings and tarnishes that players legacy. Turner Gill has done wonders at Buffalo but two years HC experience at a small program does not prepare you for one of the biggest and highest profile programs in the country.

It sure didn't work with Steve Spurrier going back to Florida.

I am not sure how good an idea it is to have legendary players come back and be head coaches. There are a lot of people at Baylor that want to do that with Mike Singletary, we have had three former players as HC's at Texas State, I just don't think anything good comes of it. If they are successful then of course everything is wonderful. If they fail then it's a disaster because it leaves a lot of hurt feelings and tarnishes that players legacy. Turner Gill has done wonders at Buffalo but two years HC experience at a small program does not prepare you for one of the biggest and highest profile programs in the country.

It sure didn't work with Steve Spurrier going back to Florida.

That would have been under a little different circumstance.

I can see Rimington doing it. Hadn't thought about him until I read this...but he's a successful businessman, and was running the Boomer Esiason foundation, if I recall. His office was in the WTC...but he wasn't there the day the planes hit.

It does make sense though, that if an AD change was going to take place, they'd let the new AD hire his coach.

While I like Rimington's Nebraska ties, have there been examples of success moving from the business world to running an athletic department? Just wondering if it's been done.

I can see Rimington doing it. Hadn't thought about him until I read this...but he's a successful businessman, and was running the Boomer Esiason foundation, if I recall. His office was in the WTC...but he wasn't there the day the planes hit.

It does make sense though, that if an AD change was going to take place, they'd let the new AD hire his coach.

While I like Rimington's Nebraska ties, have there been examples of success moving from the business world to running an athletic department? Just wondering if it's been done.

With an annual budget exceeding $70 million, trust me: Nebraska athletics is big business. :w00t

I'm beginning to think maybe we need to hire a defensive guy as the head coach and then bring in a competent offensive coordinator. Defensive coaches seem to have a little more fire in them and that is something this bunch needs. The defense is in shambles and something needs to be done soon. If we got rid of the current regime would Osborne even be willing to be the athletic director? Also, would TO as an AD consider bringing back Pelini? I'm sure he would enjoy a HC job after his long stint as a DC. He did in one game as a head coach what Callahan has failed in 4 f@%king years, to have the team play with some fire and intensity.

Personally I dont think we need to change the offense much, just maybe try to run more than the 3 same running plays over and over that never seem to work. :sarcasm Seriously, have you ever seen a Nebraska team that was so ineffective running the ball? Maybe we could hire the Cowboy's O-Coordinator Jason Garrett. He's young, smart (Princeton), and knows the game (dad was a coach). Hell maybe we could even hire him as the HC if Pelini didn't work out. Just some thoughts.