HUGE Rumor

I think Gill would be a good coach in couple years. He has the Neb roots, knows what it takes an means to put on the uniform. Knows we need to recruit in the state which has gone to the waste side with Callahan. Like I said in a couple years. If not Gill then someone with Neb roots that knows an will honor the things I said above.

Sittler covered Nebraska football for the World Herald, went to UNL and grew up in Nebraska, so the part of this that makes sense is that he has sources in Nebraska.

OF COURSE the big donors are raising hell -- and they will be listened to.

TO as AD? He might love that.

How about Lane Kiffin as head coach? He has Nebraska ties, one generation removed. Hell, he was born in Lincoln. If the big money wants to open the checkbook, we could get him to take the head coaching job for which his daddy was passed over.

Gill is not ready, may never be.

I like Dan McCarney as defensive coordinator. Knows the league. Given that Iowa State has no tradition, was winless before he got there, has the smallest stadium and, next to Lubbock and Waco, the crappiest town in the Big 12 for recruiting, he did an amazing job to take ISU to five bowl games.

Nebraska more prestigious in the long run than South Florida.

Sittler covered Nebraska football for the World Herald, went to UNL and grew up in Nebraska, so the part of this that makes sense is that he has sources in Nebraska.

OF COURSE the big donors are raising hell -- and they will be listened to.

TO as AD? He might love that.

How about Lane Kiffin as head coach? He has Nebraska ties, one generation removed. Hell, he was born in Lincoln. If the big money wants to open the checkbook, we could get him to take the head coaching job for which his daddy was passed over.

Gill is not ready, may never be.

I like Dan McCarney as defensive coordinator. Knows the league. Given that Iowa State has no tradition, was winless before he got there, has the smallest stadium and, next to Lubbock and Waco, the crappiest town in the Big 12 for recruiting, he did an amazing job to take ISU to five bowl games.

Nebraska more prestigious in the long run than South Florida.

Love Dan McCarney as DC ....great guy.......loves football.........and could fire up the troops.

Saw this on another board, the guy says he's from Tulsa, OK, and heard it on a radio show...

Dave Sittler, from Hebron, NE and the OWH is THE sports editor for the local paper - he was on this morning's radio sports program discussing the mess in Nebraska.

Supposedly, his sources have informed him that many of the "BIG MONEY" people have already informed the 'powers that be' at the University that changes HAVE TO BE MADE or the money drys up-!!

He also said that those same sources are wanting either Tom Osborne or Dave Remington as AD. Sittler thinks (as many of us do) that Turner Gill would be the most logical replacement for Callahan.

He and the sports jock both agreed that something has to be done ASAP or Nebraska may never again be able attract the kind of players it was used to during the Devaney / Osborne years-!!

Interesting, no?

Hey, very interesting rumor. I don't doubt for a second that the Big Money people are any different that the rest of us. A 4-2 record could potentially be stomached, be almost DEAD LAST in Div 1-A in total defense and getting embarassed on national TV by MU is not anywhere close to acceptable.

My guess is that nothing will be done coaching wise until we get a new AD. Remember how cheesed off Byrne (spelling?) was that he did not get to pick his own coach. Any AD will be the same. Also, I think everyone realizes that once Pud fired Solich and did the One Man search committee - he was do are die with this coach.

Would Osborne come back to be AD - I have my doubts. Remington I think would jump at it. And all of you who want Alvarez - he has a better football and basketball program (the $$$ sports) than we do right now - why leave Wisconsin?

Jim Harbaugh should be the guy. Young, Energetic, brings Intensity....all qualities our current staff is lacking

One upset victory does not make a coach. I cannot agree with Harbaugh.

Wouldn't mind seeing Dan McCarney in Lincoln in an assistant role. Still driving me crazy the D Backs aren't athletic enough or have good enough hips and speed to ever turn and play the ball instead of always having their backs to the QB, ignorant of where the play or ball is heading.

Can't get any picks when the ball hits ya in the back of the helmet or into the receiver's hands. No one can convince me NU's technique works.

Don't know who should be the next coach, but there absolutely has to be one. After trying to support this thing for nearly 4 years, the Callahan Experiment is over for me. I'm done hopin' and wishin' this thing is going to work.

I can see Rimington doing it. Hadn't thought about him until I read this...but he's a successful businessman, and was running the Boomer Esiason foundation, if I recall. His office was in the WTC...but he wasn't there the day the planes hit.

It does make sense though, that if an AD change was going to take place, they'd let the new AD hire his coach.

Everyone seems to have a coach in mind to replace Callahan, but maybe no one wants this job anymore. Pederson has made this job much less attractive first by firing a pretty dam successful coach 4 yrs ago and then pretty much alienating the fan base that defines husker football. It seems really pointless to talk about a new coach now. We have these coaches for the rest of the season. If we end up 4-8 or 5-7 then we'll talk.

Everyone seems to have a coach in mind to replace Callahan, but maybe no one wants this job anymore. Pederson has made this job much less attractive first by firing a pretty dam successful coach 4 yrs ago and then pretty much alienating the fan base that defines husker football. It seems really pointless to talk about a new coach now. We have these coaches for the rest of the season. If we end up 4-8 or 5-7 then we'll talk.

This is still a big-time job. Give me someone who will embrace being the HC and Nebraska and away we go.

I'm guessing you'll be talking a lot in about 6 weeks.